PX-W4824A firm 1.03 results

I did some tests with the 1.03 firmware with CDR and CDRW media.
I backed-up MOHAA (SafeDisc v2.50.021) and tested the back-up
in a PIONEER 106 DVD-ROM.
I used the official CloneCD 4.1.0.1 version.

Results with CDRW media
Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM : AWS disabled: back-up worked!
Plextor PX-W4824A : AWS disabled: back-up worked! (with Hide CDR on)

Results with CDR media
Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM : AWS enabled : back-up worked!
Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM : AWS disabled : back-up failed, after
the splash screen the game quit without any message
Plextor PX-W4824A : AWS enabled : back-up worked! (with Hide CDR on)
Plextor PX-W4824A : AWS disabled : back-up worked! (with Hide CDR on)

Conclusion
The Plextor PX-W4824A drive now can create a PERFECT
back-up of SD2.51.021 with CloneCD’s AWS disabled
on CDRW media and with AWS enabled on CDR media.
Any explain?

G@M3FR3@K
I think that the Plextor FAQ need modification.
-SafeDisc 2.51.021: yes, although you need CDRW media

Hello Niko and welcome to CDFreaks :slight_smile:

Are you sure your disc of MOHAA is protected (the one i got wasn’t)? Results with the new firmware revision for the 48x Plexie have already been discussed in this thread where GF tested the Plexie with GTA and couldn’t create a working backup with AWS disabled.

Even if it is protected, this doesn’t really make a difference. Plexies have been reported in the past to be able to create backups of SD protected games without AWS or any similar feature that would load from the Plextor cdr drive itself but not from all other drives, like in your case where it failed to load from the Pioneer DVD drive. These are in no case perfect 1:1 copies. This stands for the CD-Recordable results you obtained.

As far as the result you got with the CD-RW media, all i can say is to test it with some other drives, like a Toshiba DVD drive, which are known to be very picky with SD backups. Besides, it has been mentioned before that CDRW media behave somewhat differently with Plexies and this has to do with its ability to write specific error paterns that SD protected games contain. Alexnoe knows more about this though, so you might ask him about it :wink:

Interesting but I also do my tests with CD-RW media :wink: Like Hemispasm already said: you really need to test the back-up in a Toshiba SD-M1402 or 1502 (I use the latter) drive. These drives are the best test drives for SafeDisc 2 back-ups. They’re very picky and with my Plextor PX-W4824TA and TU I can not create a fully working back-up that works in the Toshiba. When AWS is enabled the back-ups do work. I tested SafeDisc 2.51.021 (GTA3) and 2.70.030 (Mafia). Both gave me the same result using US-RW discs (ultra-speed CD-RW).

Thanks for the quickly and detailed reply.
The CDFREAKS CLUB it’s a great place.
Nikos

How does 1.03 and Advanced DAE Error Correction test in nero perform ?

I have not the special test disc A-BEX TCD-721.
With the CD Speed DAE test disk the results are:
C2 Accuracy Unknown
Quality Score 100

Regards
Nikos