PX-800A Cannot Read Double Layer

Hello,

Recently I bought the Plextor PX-800A.Yesterday I burned a RICOH DVD+R Double Layer disc(2.4x~8x Certified).
It burned O.K. at 8x, but when i put it back in, the Plextor PX-800A cannot
read it.
Can someone tell me what Double Layer Discs should i buy that are compatible to my recorder?
:sad:

The only DVD+R-DL discs that have proven to be reliable in most burners are Verbatim discs. They might be a little more expensive than others, but at least the data is readable after burning.

Thank you for your advice,but somwhere here in this forum i read that even with Verbatim discs there is a problem reading them.I need an advice from
someone who has PX-800A and burns double layer discs.

I have an Optiarc AD-7173A which has the same hardware as the PX-800A and I think I successfully wrote a Verbatim DL disc already. I haven’t heard about problems with Verbatim DL discs and Optiarc burners or their OEM drives.

So you have an Optiarc AD-7173A which has the same hardware as the PX-800A.Gladly for you there are firmware upgrades for the optiarc.
Plextor unfortunately hasn’t released a firmware upgrade for the PX-800A so
that would support more media and fix issues like mine.For my previous Plextor PX-16A (Stopped working 6 months ago) Plextor released many firmwares upgrades, for PX-800A none!
Plextor you are bad!!!:a

It wouldn’t be impossible to downgrade the drive’s bootcode and apply a regular AD-7170A firmware. You could also try using one of the Apple firmwares for the AD-7170A (1.N* versions)

How do i downgrade the drive’s bootcode and apply a regular AD-7170A firmware?

I guess I didn’t release the tool to public, but if you send me a PM with your email address, I should be able to provide you with a tool to do this (and if you wish upgrade again)

[QUOTE=thanostse;2148380]Thank you for your advice,but somwhere here in this forum i read that even with Verbatim discs there is a problem reading them.I need an advice from
someone who has PX-800A and burns double layer discs.[/QUOTE]

I have the PX-800A and i only use Verbatim DL disc. Have had no problems with them at all. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=thanostse;2148868]So you have an Optiarc AD-7173A which has the same hardware as the PX-800A.Gladly for you there are firmware upgrades for the optiarc.
Plextor unfortunately hasn’t released a firmware upgrade for the PX-800A so
that would support more media and fix issues like mine.For my previous Plextor PX-16A (Stopped working 6 months ago) Plextor released many firmwares upgrades, for PX-800A none!
Plextor you are bad!!!:a[/QUOTE]

Plextor usually releases their OEM drives some time after the originals first appear on the market. That means the original drive usually has already gone through several updates until the Plextor OEM is sold with Firmware 1.00.

I don’t know for the 800A but for the 810SA (a Pioneer 212) Plextor FW 1.00 corresponds to Pioneers Firmware 1.22 and FW 1.01 correponds to 1.24.

Since there has been no update beyond 1.00 for the 800A, chances are that the 800a Firmware 1.00 is actually NECs latest Firmware. In other words the 800a is as good as the original NEC is. Plextor does not fundamentally change the original Firmware or continue its development beyond what NEC does.

Other than that you’ve already been given excellent advice: Use Verbatim DL media only.

Plextor’s 1.00 firmware is from February 2007, while NEC’s latest firmware lists April 2008, so there were updates after Plextor released the drive