PX-755SA with 1.04 and Plextools Pro XL 3.09/3.10

I have great problems to use the Diagnostic Functions like SUM1 or SUM8 of the Plextools Pro XL since some weeks.

My Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-8I945P Pro. The PX-755SA is connected to the SATA-Controller. I am using the latest Version of Nero 7. First I had installed the AHCI-driver and I had no problem to write to DVD+R and checking the quality of the result with the Plextools. Since some week I got trouble to check the quality. I can start for example the SUM1-Test and he runs fine. I can save the result. Then I start the SUM8-Test. He runs fine, too, but I cannot save the result. While doing so, the Plextools get closed. I get no error report on the monitor or in the eventviewer of XP SP2.

I ask Plextor for help and they told me to deinstall the AHCI-driver. I have done so, but the error still occurs. The only other change in configuration was the firmware-update from 1.02 to 1.04.

Maybe I am not the only one having this problem. Is it possible, that the new firmware is responsible for the problem?

Have you tried downgrading the firmware to see if that solves the problem?

First I will try the new FW 1.05. If this does not work, I will downgrade. Unfortunately it is impossible to use Nero CD-DVD Speed for quality checks.

I have upgraded first to FW 1.05. I started a SUM1-Test (Plextools 3.09) with High Accuracy. As I noticed, that the test will run for more than 4 hours, I stopped and run it again with Good Accuracy. After about 12 minutes the test was complete. I saved the result. Than I started the SUM8-Test. It was impossible to save the result of this test, as the program crashed without any error message. Than I deinstalled Plextools 3.09 and installed after a reboot the Plextools 3.10. Same result.

Than I downgraded the PX-755SA to FW 1.02 and startet the same tests. First it runs good. I could run SUM1- and SUM8-Tests and save the results. Than I changed the DVD and started the SUM1-Test. During the execution of the test, the program crashed.

Eventviewer Program (unfortunately only in German):

Ereignistyp: Informationen
Ereignisquelle: DrWatson
Ereigniskategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 4097
Datum: 11.08.2006
Zeit: 20:13:29
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: MIDITOWER
Beschreibung:
Die Anwendung “C:\Programme\Plextor\PTPXL\PTPXL.exe” hat einen Programmfehler verursacht. Datum und Zeit des Fehlers: 11.08.2006 um 20:13:29.343 Ausnahme: c0000005 an Adresse 7C921E58 (ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSection)

Some days ago I had a crash of the Plextools 3.09 with PX-755SA FW 1.04 and installed AHCI-driver.

Ereignistyp: Informationen
Ereignisquelle: DrWatson
Ereigniskategorie: Keine
Ereigniskennung: 4097
Datum: 02.08.2006
Zeit: 23:24:18
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: MIDITOWER
Beschreibung:
Die Anwendung “C:\Programme\Plextor\PTPXL\PTPXL.exe” hat einen Programmfehler verursacht. Datum und Zeit des Fehlers: 02.08.2006 um 23:24:17.906 Ausnahme: c0000005 an Adresse 7C920F83 (ntdll!wcsncpy)

I don’t know, what I can do to solve the problem. I will sent the informations including the DrWatson.log to the support of Plextor, but I have no hope, that they will find a solution.

wcsncpy Kopiert n Zeichen eines Strings in einen anderen

I haven’t found anything else except for the advice to look for trojans and viruses. Weird. I mean saving a result of a diagnostic scan is an operation of the graphical subsystem. Are your video card drivers up to date?

It seemed, that the Data Execution Prevention and the CPU’s data remark prevention is responsible for the problem. I’ve changed in May from Pentium 4 3GHz with i875P to Pentium D 930 with i945P. Since this change I sometimes get errors with ntdll.dll.

Do you mean you just changed the hardware? In this case, I would install XP over itsself. It’ll keep the settings but will perhaps change some dll’s. Just a thought.

Windows wouldn’t have booted if he’d changed hardware without doing a repair install…

I haven’t tried it with xp yet, but the NT4 did so.

[deleted]

Completely new selfbuild system with a new Windows XP Pro SP2 System Builder Edition. My old system with Windows XP Pro SP2 System Builder Edition was sold.

I only have sometimes the problem with the Plextools Pro XL. All other programs are running without any error. My last BSOD (XP Home SP1) is now 2 years back.

If you changed from i875P to i945P and have installed the latest INF-drivers under i875P, you have a good chance, that your Windows XP boots without any complication.

yes, Intel chipset platforms are way easier to handle for Windows as Via/NForce.
You can easily upgrade to newer chipset generations without major issues.