PX-755A on the ICH9R

Does anybody know the exact brand and model of the PATA-SATA device that is inside the PX-755SA? If yes, is it available in stores as a slightly different device to connect to the PX-755A’s PATA interface outside?

Am I wrong, or would that be the absolutely perfect solution to operate the PX-755A on the SATA interface of the intel ICH9R??

OK, I just found out, that the PX-755SA uses the following bridge-chip: MARVELL 88SA8040-TBC1.

Does anybody know, if there are Syba, Iwill or whatever brand converters available with this Marvell chip? If there are more than one, which is the best?

Many thanks for reading!

[QUOTE=georgekellerman;1985290]OK, I just found out, that the PX-755SA uses the following bridge-chip: MARVELL 88SA8040-TBC1.

Does anybody know, if there are Syba, Iwill or whatever brand converters available with this Marvell chip? If there are more than one, which is the best?

Many thanks for reading![/QUOTE]

You may try the Gigabyte IDE to SATA adapter, but the 755SA can’t work in ICH9R AHCI or Raid mode.

He may try it. On the ICH9R only the SATA-Ports 0 - 3 support AHCI. I connect my DVD burners always on SATA Port 4 and 5.

Thanks for helping me! Well, the system described in my signature is just in the builds. So your posts threw up new questions. Maybe very newbie-like ones! So I think I need a little help from the ground up. Here’s what I think to know from different posts:

All drives, even the very latest ones (SH-S203D, AD-7200S, DH-20A3S, DVR-215, …), are only “native SATA” in a sense, that in the drive the PATA-to-SATA brigde-chip moved to the large main board from a seperate tiny board used in the first SATA optical drives. Which means that (a) in reality they are NOT native SATA at all and (b) that they all still have a PATA>SATA bridge-chip! Just like before.

Before I go on back to the PX-755A and your replies again, please allow me to ask if this is correct first?

[QUOTE=idolclub;1987275]You may try the Gigabyte IDE to SATA adapter, but the 755SA can’t work in ICH9R AHCI or Raid mode.[/QUOTE]

My 755SA would disagree with you, as it’s happily working connected to my ICH9R’s SATA ports in AHCI mode.

I just read through this thread again and I relized that my previous posts didn’t make clear what I actally want :o. Sorry for that!

Well, my problem is that I asked too specific questions in relation to my general knowledge about SATA drives, which is little. (And it’s absolutely unimportant where the bridge-chip is. The only important thing is if there is no bridge-chip at all (native SATA) or if there is one (“bad SATA” ;)). Sorry for making this unimportant distinguation a topic in my previous post.)

So without any relation to the fact that I probably will indeed connect my PX-755A to the ICH9R via the GIGABYTE bridge-device above, I would simply like to know which newer and brand new drives (DVR-212, DVR-215, AD-7200S, LH-20A1S, DH-20A3S, SH-S203B, SH-S203D, the newer LG drives, …) have a bridge-chip (no matter where in the drive) and which are real native SATA drives.

Many thanks for reading my (long) post. :slight_smile:

The PX755SA and the PX760SA are native SATA drives. One of my motherboards is the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P Rev. 2.1.

The SATA/RAID Mode is configured to AHCI. The native mode is enabled for SATA Port0-3.

On the SATA-Ports0-3 4 HDDs from Samsung are connected. On SATA Port4 its the Plextor PX-810SA and on SATA Port5 it is the Plextor PX-755SA.

The JMicron Controller is configured to AHCI. On Port0 the X Changer from Sharkoon is connected. On Port1 eSATA.

I don’t know, if a PX-755A (PATA) will work with a IDE2SATA-Adapter on the ICH9R or the JMicron.

No, the PX-755SA is NOT a native SATA drive. It has a MARVELL 88SA8040 PATA>SATA bridge-chip! You have set your ICH9 to native SATA mode, which definitely is a different thing (afaik that setting in the GIGABYTE BIOS is even a different thing than native SATA mode with AHCI available vs. IDE compatible SATA mode in ASUS as well as GIGABYTE BIOS. But about that I’m not 100% sure). But you don’t have the PX-755SA on the ICH9R but on the JMB363 (or something like that…) anyway.

I can only guess that the 88SA8040 not only has ATAPI enabled (which is natural, otherwise it wouldn’t be used in optical drives), but AHCI is working well with that bridge-chip as well. I looked for a converter with the 88SA8040, but only found SATA>PATA converters. Didn’t find PATA>SATA. I hope the GIGABYTE converter [B]idolclub[/B] suggested has that bridge-chip. Then I would have a “self-made” PX-755SA from a PX-755A and the original PX-755SA bridge-chip…

As asked in my previous post, which drives (all drive makers) do NOT have a bridge chip? Does such a drive exist at all?

It looks like most of the drives now don’t use a bridge chip.

Yeah, this has been stated at other threads as well. But there is also the opinion present that there are absolutely no true native SATA drives (don’t have links, it has been discussed a zillion times aside from the original topics of many many threads). And in both cases it always reads like assumptions. Maybe it’s just my fault and I don’t get the pieces together. But why aren’t there more self-secure comments? With brands and models named (I don’t mean this thread and you all who replied to help me :flower:. I mean at cdfreaks in general). I’m sure there are a lot of members who have full knowledge about this. A sticky thread containing this info for everyone to read would be really great. Mods, admins, seniors, how do you think about this?

I believe the PX-810SA is native. Dunno the mfr brand model for that one.

As you see in my signature, I have 4 DVD Burners on 2 PCs. The second PC has as motherboard a Gigabyte GA-P35-DSP Rev. 1.0. On ICH9R Port0-3 also 4 Samsung HDDs are connected and on Port 4 a Pioneer DVR-212B and on Port5 a Plextor PX-760SA. It’s nearly the same configuration as on my first PC. Both Plextors are connected to Port5 of the ICH9R.

It seemed, that you don’t have enough informations about the ICH9R. The native mode is only enabled for Port0-3. This is a feature of the ICH9R. You can create a RAID and connect optical drives to Port4 or 5 at the same time.

Unfortunately the PX-755SA Compatibility Motherboard List of Plextor is old. But already it was possible to connect the PX-755SA to the ICH6R or ICH7R with AHCI enabled.

The JMicron on both boards is used for eSATA and the xChanger of Sharkoon. AHCI is enabled.

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/mobile_x-changer/index_en.html

I finally found a MARVELL equipped converter today after [B]Cressida[/B] asked about my intentions to sell my PX-755A. So the MARVELL chip works in AHCI mode. Does anybody have the [U]ioi SATA-IDE03[/U] converter attached to a PLEXTOR? How does it work? What can you do with it?

@[B]Udo-Andreas[/B]:

Sorry! I read port 5 in your post and forgot that the ICH9R has 6 ports not 4. Because of that I thought that your Plextor is on the Taiwanese controller. Sorry for that!

But I still have to add, that the PX-755SA is NOT a “native SATA” drive. It has a MARVELL IDE-SATA bridge-chip. But thanks to your post, I know now that the MARVELL chip works with AHCI mode enabled. And that’s a great thing. I now start to think that every ide-sata bridge-chip works with AHCI enabled. I’m not sure, but I think, that every SATA specifcation includes AHCI. AHCI (and NCQ) just weren’t available with HDD at the beginning, because the first ones weren’t “native SATA” and after the bridge the IDE drive could not handle AHCI/NCQ. It wasn’t because the bridge-chips were early SATA specifications I guess.

GIGABYTE BIOS: The “SATA Port0-3 Native Mode” sets “Native IDE” or “Legacy IDE”. It does NOT set “Native SATA” or some else SATA. That whole setting is irrelevant. It MUST be set to “Enabled”, because “Legacy IDE” is for Win98 only, but that is unimportant, because naturally as soon as you set “SATA RAID/AHCI Mode” from “Disabled” (which is IDE compatible SATA) to “AHCI”, the “SATA Port0-3 Native Mode” setting loses its function.

@GIGABYTE:

Thanks for renaming the BIOS setting to “SATA Port0-5 Native Mode” with the new P35/ICH9R boards.

:wink:

@everyone:

I did some research myself and now I know it, so if other people are wondering as well: Every drive, that has two different chipset versions for PATA and SATA is a “native SATA” drive. The LITEONs and SAMSUNGS have the MT1898 for PATA and the MT1899 for SATA. Same case with Optiarcs and Pioneers and two different NEC chipsets.

HI, I just want to know if its possible to remove the IDE-to-SATA controller and use the drive as an IDE one?

No, the controller is on the main PCB together with the rest of the electronics.

Here is a picture of the PCB:

It’s the chip marked “M” in the lower left corner.

[QUOTE=hwp;2017586]No, the controller is on the main PCB together with the rest of the electronics.

Here is a picture of the PCB:

It’s the chip marked “M” in the lower left corner.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and forgive my ignorance :p.