PX-716UF: USB 2.0 vs. Firewire

vbimport

Just wondering if one interface is better to use between the two with the 716UF and why. Any advantages of one over the other?

Firewire seems to be more stable thus more reliable when using fast optical drives.

I can’t burn over 14x with firewire. USB2.0 burns all the way to 16x, for me.

iirc although USB 2.0 is slightly faster it has all sorts of problems being recognized by audio programs. Firewire is the more stable and convenient choice.

It is curious, since generally it happens the opposite. Are you using an add-on firewire controller card or do you have a motherboard with firewire support?

ET

Texas Instruments OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 bus host controller on PCI bus 2

I said 14x…probably more like 14.5x on the firewire.

The USB2.0 has been equally stable for me, no audio or other issues, the advantage being it burns all the way to 16x.

Just my $0.02

TI IEEE 1394 chipset should have no problem for 16x burning. (I once bought 10 TI 1394 cards but gave most to some friends.) Most times, either USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394a should be fine for 20-30MB/s but not all components and drivers are good. I never got over 22-23MB/s from my USB 2.0. 1394 works better in all my USB/1394 cases.

Typical answer from DVD writer manufacturers: USB 2.0 = 60MB/s, IEEE 1394a = 50MB/s, DMA33 = 33MB/s, DMA66 = 66MB/s…

sometimes it depends on the drives.
i hav tested Plex716, nec3520,toshiba552a,liteon1673s,benq1620 and LG4163B in Prolific casings. i found that only plex, toshiba and liteon can easily hit 16x burning with firewire. others r hopeless.

Hmmm…mixed signals between the two buses with different users but thanks for the info. I was wondering because the specs for both buses are very close to each other. I do realize however that Digital Video I/O uses Firewire rather than USB 2.0 even though USB 2.0 is spec’d with a higher throughput. :confused:

Please forget about theoretical transfer rates as far as USB 2.0 concerned. Even firewire can’t get close to the specifications. 30-35 MB/s is a very good result from any of these interfaces.

Using my Plextor PX-716UF via USB 2.0 here and I can reach 16x without problems. Haven’t tested FireWire though.

For some reason I can only get 14 MB/s during a burst rate test using USB 2.0, on a laptop with a NEC TI PCMCIA CArd.

i don’t have a 716UF but with my 708UF, i have it hooked up USB2 to one computer and FW to the other. i just flip the switch in the back depending on which machine i’ll be using it with. i haven’t noticed any difference in performance, but then again, it is only 8X max so kinda moot to this discussion. pardon my interruption, carry on…:wink:

I didn’t think anyone still called them PCMCIA cards :wink:

I still did…what are they now, cardbus?

As we know, Plextor UF series’s USB 2.0 chip is offered by NEC, 1394 chip is offered by EPSON. And we know NEC chip performs the best performance in USB2. But how does EPSON?

Seems like they’re usually referred to simply as PC Cards these days…

32Bit PCMCIA Cards lol

Old question:
USB 2.0 480 and firewire 400 are just nominal maximum figures.
And you have firewire 800 that can go “up to” 800.

Be aware of USB if you share the ports, as each device will share the the 400 you have got. An pay attention if your controller is driving also USB 1 devices, as all will slow down.
USB doesn’t transmit the signal in a continuos way and is the buffer that gives you the illusion. Most times is ok, but not for video for instance. It can cope or not, you take the chance.

Firewire does it in a different way, that’s why digital video capturing was a firewire business (now USB is doing, but look they do it with MPEG not DV signal).

Firewire depends on chipset. A good one being Oxford 911, but sometimes the name you see is the one that made the board or sold the electronics to it, not the chipset maker.

By experience with hard drives, taking the same big file firewire was faster that USB on a consistan way. But this is just one experience and opinion.
And don’t believe in 60 or 50 MBs/sec, thats not the real world…

Sorry for the crowd of typing errors+