PX-716SA might need to be replaced - suggestions?

So my trust PX-716SA (I have to use SATA, don’t have any other good options in my situation) has started to produce more errors than it used to (either that, or I’m using Exact Audio Copy more stringently – not sure).

In any case, I wanted to go up a notch. I can get a PX-755SA now, or wait around to see if the PX-760SA ever arrives, or look at the one or two other SATA Dual-Layer DVD Burners out there.

I’d like to continue ripping my CD collection where I left off when this happened, but am not sure I want to get a 755SA if it’ll be eclipsed by the 760SA very shortly, assuming the 760SA ever comes out in America (I couldn’t even find a reputable seller of them in Europe!).

Any suggestions as to the best course of action? I am thinking of doing some big runs of various CDs and DVDs on it to check for errors, to make sure. But if they come out showing more errors than before, should I get another 716SA, or go for the now-available 755SA, or wait for the (possibly never arriving) 760SA?

Remember, I’m bound to SATA, so my choices are, unfortunately, limited.

– Tim Besie

ewll if your needs are immediate, I would say that the 716 is more mature firmware wise, but the 755sa probably has higher potential once f/w issues get ironed out. I’ll leave out my opinion of plextor as a company and say that if I were you, I’d get the 755sa over the 716sa.

Have you considered using an external USB/FireWire enclosure?

That way you will have the option of using a (Parallel) ATA drive.

FYI, just saw 755SAs for sale at Best Buy here in NYC.

how much was the 755sa on sale for at best buy? I just did a search online for here in nj and it says that it’s $129.99.

yup, i believe it was 129.99. personally, i’d get a 760A from newegg for 99.99+free shipping before i threw down for a 755SA at BB.

I have had my time trying to get drives in external enclosures via USB and Firewire working, spent months in fact, and Windows XP Pro SP2 has all sorts of issues with it via Cardbus, since this is on my laptop which only has USB1.1, USB2 or Firewire MUST be via Cardbus.

Don’t EVEN try to convince me – I’m done with it. :slight_smile:

So, it must be eSATA, at least until I buy a tower.

• Tim

Huh?

How do you intend to fit a desktop (half-height) drive into your laptop?
Or are you saying that you have a laptop that is so old that it doesn’t have USB 2.0 or FireWire but it is new enough to have eSATA?

Or do you have a CardBus card with an eSATA interface?

I lost track of what you’re trying to do after reading your last post. Maybe others are now confused too? :confused:

Yes, I have a CardBus card with an eSATA interface. It works perfectly with my multi-drive SATA enclosure, which is fronted by a port-multiplier. I use one port on the eSATA CardBus card for the hard drives via the port-multiplier, and go direct from the other one to the PX-716SA (I found that putting the DVD drive on the port multiplier caused some weird problems).

The enclosure is merely a SATA passthrough interface, plus power supply; it doesn’t have any interface circuitry for PATA or other drives.

It’s specifically USB and Firewire external enclosures with PATA drives in them, talked to via CardBus, that I’ve had the troubles with.

I hope that clarifies things a bit. :slight_smile:

• Tim

tbessie

I replaced one of my PX-716SA’s with a PX-755SA and it’s great. You can find it at tigerdirect.com for $119.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2070632&Sku=P67-1264&SRCCODE=GOOPROD&CMP=OTC-FROOGLE

PS: I don’t believe that we will ever see a PX-760SA in the U.S.

Eric

what makes you say this? :confused:

drpino

Because I suspect for what ever reason Plextor decided to call it a 755SA instead of a 760SA here in the U.S. Overseas it’s called a 760SA so why not release the exact same model here and call it by the same model number.

After seeing ads for overseas release of the 760SA for almost the last year, I was very surprised when they released the 755SA instead of a 760SA.

It would not make a lot of sense for them to release such a hot item only to wait a few weeks, days, or months to release another one with such a small model number increase.

What are your thoughts on this?

Eric

This is not an overseas thing. There are two separate models: 755 and 760. While the differences are small they are definitely there (especially in hardware).

As for the 760SA it has been announced but is not yet available anywhere on the world AFAIK. The reason Plextor sells the 760A and 755SA in the US is probably because the 716SA is sold out by now ant since the 760SA is not yet available they’re substituting with the 755SA, which is already available. This despite the apparent intention if Plextor USA of only selling the 760 series and not the 755 one in the States.

Are the hardware differences big enough and weighted enough towards the 760 to wait for the 760SA?

As for the 760SA it has been announced but is not yet available anywhere on the world AFAIK. The reason Plextor sells the 760A and 755SA in the US is probably because the 716SA is sold out by now ant since the 760SA is not yet available they’re substituting with the 755SA, which is already available. This despite the apparent intention if Plextor USA of only selling the 760 series and not the 755 one in the States.

The 716SA is still available on the Plextor online store, so that’s not the case. But in any case, I am wondering, if I buy a 755SA, and they release the 760SA in the US, if I will regret having bought the 755SA – the only reason I would regret it is if the 760SA’s hardware has some distinct advantages over that of the 755SA. The 2x difference in burning speed isn’t that important to me.

• Tim

AFAIK the only difference in hardware is to make 18x possible (disc holding table, motor, venting holes): http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/px760a/px760a_bunkai.htm

If only I could read Japanese! (I think it’s Japanese, anyway :slight_smile: ).

I see they show the IC board on the 755 but not the 760. I wonder if the chips and firmware are significantly different as well.

It’s a shame that the manufacturers never release full data on these things. :frowning:

• Tim

Check Googles language tools or babelfish.altavista.com :slight_smile:

According to this http://park21.wakwak.com/~orangepie/px-757.5a/ , no.

@Eric545, hwp already mentioned what i would’ve said about the 760SA.

Well, I just ordered a 755SA from the Plextor store.
I cross my fingers that it will be All I Desire, bring me peace of mind,
and do my dishes for me. :slight_smile:

• Tim

I have been researching that same kind of set up the past couple of weeks, primarily with the Addonics products. May I ask what brand CardBus adapter and multi-bay enclosure you have, and if you would recommend them after using for awhile?