PX-716SA firmware 1.09 and Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL

The Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL (MKM 003) media is now available in the USA at Best Buy (only, not available anywhere else right now) in 5-packs at $24.99 . I bought one of the 5-packs, and have tested the first disc with my Plextor 716SA (firmware 1.09). Attached are the results. These are actually without a doubt the best double layer discs out there! What pleases me is that the PIF result is the best I’ve seen from a double layer disc–despite the fact that my PIE result is still higher than I would like to see (would be nice if PIE max would be <= 50). The graph doesn’t show any excessive PIF around the layer change–this is so much better than my results with the Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL media. Even my best burn with the Verbatim 2.4 DVD+R DL media resulted in a lot of PIF around the layer change (with PIF max = 4). Most (all but one) of the 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL discs I burned had high spikes (anywhere from PIF = 6 to PIF = 14) around the layer change. This one disc 8X DVD+R DL disc has by far the lowest PIF I’ve seen from any DL disc, even lower than the DVD-R DL discs. I was able to get lower PIE with the DVD-R DL discs, however. Compatibility of these Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL on my hardware is identical to the Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL–both have good compatibility, but compatibility could be better since they both skip at the layer change on one of my DVD players. So, I am pleased with the new 8X DVD+R DL discs, but I was hoping for more. The funny thing about these discs is that my 2.4X double layer LG DVD burner (rated at 2.4X for DVD+R DL) will burn the 8X DVD+R DL discs at 4X with the updated firmware. That now makes this DVD burner a 4X double layer burner!

Yes, and the 716 really likes these… http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1241871&postcount=1855

Another interesting comparison. The first image below is Beta Jitter for the 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL. Both tests of Beta Jitter on the 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL returns similiar results–high jitter after the layer change. The Beta Jitter on the 4X DVD-R DL was similar to the 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, still high jitter after the layer change. See the second image below, it is the Beta Jitter for the 8X Verbatim DVD+R DL. Low jitter before and after the layer change, even though jitter does increase after the layer change. Both the 8X DVD+R DL and 2.4X DVD+R DL discs that I am comparing were burned from the same image. PIE for both Verbatim DVD+R DL discs were about the same, but jitter and PIF were much better for the 8X DVD+R DL. My drive clearly shows its preference for the newer higher speed higher price Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL media!

My first burn on Verbatim DL 2.4X at 6X :stuck_out_tongue:

And Verbatim -R 4X at 6X

I haven`t try those 8X :flower: :bigsmile: but i hope soon :bow:

Mordorr

Wow :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:stuck_out_tongue: Tks.

Just good luck with the quality media i gess :iagree: :bigsmile:

Mordorr

One quick note: all of my double layer scans for my 716SA were burned at the 6X speed.

I posted results with these discs in October 2005 ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) here, my PX-716 worked even better with them.