Px-716sa burning slowly

I just got this drive today and it seems to be working fine. I burned a data-dvd without any errors, except for the fact that it burned incredibly slowly (3x).

The media is Verbatim DvD+R, which says its compatible with up to 16x burning.

The mode the disc was burned in was Power Rec 16x with Roxio.

The drive is currently on the same power cable as my CD drive, would this effect speed that much?

I’m pretty sure i have the latest firmware(1.09). Which I got with Plextools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Verbatim, good stuff!

First off, you could check that your DMA is enabled for your drives (thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616).

I’m not too familiar with that drive (or the software you’re using), so hopefully someone else can advise you on what to do after the DMA check :slight_smile:

I don’t know if its the DMA settings… since its SATA it’s not listed under the IDE channels.

Is there a way to check that in the case of a SATA drive?

IIRC some chipsets dont report DMA enabled for this drive. Open Plextools and and under Drive settings>advanced ensure Enable DMA is checked, then go to options in the top L/H corner and click save information. This will save a syslog file. A quick check should tell you if DMA is enabled. If you are unsure post the log as a text file with manage attachements. Please make sure you remove any serial numbers before posting the log.

The DMA function is greyed out.

Yeah that the part I couldn’t remember and I think that is normal with some chipsets. Does your log show “DMA Yes” like below.

ID 0 G: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.09
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV, Jumper settings: 001, Buffer Underrun Proof enabled

Auto Insert Notification: yes, DMA: yes

delete

S-ATA Interface 2 ID: - Maximum # Targets: -

Description: VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
Type : SCSI and RAID controllers

Port Driver: viasraid.sys
Provider :
Description: VIA SATA RAID DRIVER FOR WINXP (VIA Technologies inc,.ltd)
Version : 5.1.2600.220
Date :

ID 0:(D:) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.09 (S/N:145303) (0.0.0A - 0.19.44A)
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV, Jumper settings: n/a, Buffer Underrun Proof enabled

Auto Insert Notification: yes, DMA: yes

Well I don’t know what your system is so here are a few suggestions. There are only a chipsets that work well with S ATA optical drives and not sure if yours is one of them. Have a read of this threadfor compatabity with your Mobo. Not sure if you have two S ATA controllers on your system and it looks like you are using the southbridge Raid controller (hopefully in IDE mode). You could try installing the Plex on the other S ATA controller. Also roll your drivers back to STD Microsoft IDE drivers as they are known to work the best. Here is how… Like I said just suggestions. Maybe think about Private messaging a Mod and have them move this thread to the Plextor Forum. Lots of good people there to help.:slight_smile: