I got a PX-716A (NOT the SA, just the regular IDE drive) in my hot little hands yesterday and proceeded to install it on the secondary IDE channel as Master with my old HP CD-Writer Plus 8200 as slave. The system recognized the drive and asked to install software that was not registered with XP. I gave the go-ahead. When the system finished booting, it was acting very strangely. Very slow. The taskbar had been reduced to a thin line at the bottom of the screen and would not open. Virus protection complained of a lack of resources. I opened task manager and found CPU usage running 100%. Under Device Manager, no device properties would open--none. All in all, the system showed signs of just running full tilt and not allowing anything using moderate resources to open. Even system restore would not open. Eventually, I removed both the HP CD-R/W and the PX-716A, as well as the 80 cable IDE connector, just to eliminate these variables. No dice. I ran CHKDSK and discovered errors. Cleaned these up and eventually got the taskbar back. Safe Mode is no help--it won't launch System Restore either and the taskbar is still missing there, so I can't really do much in Safe Mode.
Any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate. FWIW, I've built a number of systems and installed lots of new hardware. This one's got me stumped. Thought it might be Intel Application Accelerator, but I don't seem to have this installed. My system has been stable for over a year and is not overclocked. If I had to guess, I guess a conflict between the driver/software the Plextor installed and the SATA or IDE bus or SATA hard drive I'm using. BTW, I did not get so far as installing anything off the Plextor DVD.
Here's my system:
Windows XP Profession SP2
ABIT IC7-G motherboard
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
1 GB HyperX KHX3200
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2ZS Pro
Antec Sonata Case
Western Digital 160Gb SATA drive
Thanks for your help.