[PX-716A]I can't obtain the same result than the review

vbimport

I finally bought a PX-716A and i’m very happy with it.
But there is one thing that disturb me.
In the review we can see that burns on Verbatim MCC-003 are excellent.

Here are three sum8 graph made with my burner.
Of course i used the same media, at 12X speed with PR and AS on .
I have not the same result as in the review, why ?
Is my burner defective ?

edit : i have a TLA #0202 updagraded to firmware 1.03

MCC is not MCC.

Some comes from Taiwan, the other come from India…

Here is my 716@1.02, MCC003@12x. It isn’t so different from yours. Verbatim media is made in Taiwan, so its quality will be variable. Try MCC003@6x. This is truly excellent.

Or buy MCC003 that is labeled “Made In Singapore” … these are the best MCC003’s you can get.

Additionally, you can try an FE/TE test run on an empty disc before you burn … Plextor’s POWEREC uses FE/TE data so you could gain some writing quality.

Probably slight off-topic, but…

Additionally, you can try an FE/TE test run on an empty disc before you burn … Plextor’s POWEREC uses FE/TE data so you could gain some writing quality.

Do you know if it will use FE/TE data for that disc in particular (no tray-cycling) or for that MID code? Will this be valid for the 712A too?

TIA.

I prefer to do it prior to burning the actually inserted disc … since quality varies from disc to disc anyway, I do not see much sense in using FE/TE for the complete MID.

And I own a 712A … it works IMO

Very interesting JeanLuc! I never notice this. I shall test and report back. :iagree:

My results qith MCC003 arent the best ones too. Very similar to the scans we ve seen above.

Very interesting JeanLuc! I never notice this. I shall test and report back.

That makes it two of us! Seems like I will be taking the dust out of my Plex 712A… it hasn’t done much burning since I got the Philips / Benq…

Plextools Pro manual states that POWEREC uses FE/TE information … so I fire up PTP before burning, perform a FE/TE test, close PTP and start burning … it works :slight_smile:

I did FE/TE test before burning.

YUDEN000T02 8x DVD+R (sold as SONY 50pack Made in Japan), burned @16x.
AS ON, PR ON.

I would say that the burn scan looks similar than without FE/TE test in my previous test. Maybe because the TY media is recognized in the firmware?

The FE/TE test says that the T02 should not be written at the highest speed. That explains the speed drop. However I believe AutoStrategy can handle this too. I’ll try with 16x certified media (MCC004) later.

I backed up Troy, Without A Paddle, and The Village last night on my PX-716A using YUDEN000T01 discs @ 4X. I didn’t check the discs before I tried to view them on my home DVD player and there were a lot of skips. After scanning I found the copies to be very poor toward the end.

Today I have been fooling around with various burn techniques and tried this FE/TE test thing before burning. So far I’m having remarkable results by testing the disc first and then burning. I’ll try to post something soon.

Are some of the MCC codes not alos manufactured at “Egham Surrey” in England ?
see:
http://www.mediamatch.de/mediainfo.php?UDI=[DVD-RW%3AMCC+01RW11n9]

Ok, thanks every one, i can sleep better now :stuck_out_tongue:
Next time i’ll buy some verbatim media that come from singapoure.

The first scan is without running FE/TE test before burning. The second scan is after running FE/TE test before burning. Both are on the same YUDEN000T01 media at 4X.

Zevia,

How are you saving those images from PlexTools with the information?

Mark

wow, i’ve never gotten that big a difference in quality by simply running FE/TE test prior to burning…

I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t seen it myself. I’ve been burning and running scans all morning and I keep getting similar results. Huge differences between running an FE/TE test before the burn and not running an FE/TE test.

Here’s another before and after same media, same movie. Note the different scales.

hey max, what are your burn times on the 2? is PR really kicking in with the 2nd burn?

I was only burning at 4X as the media is rated and burn times are around 15 minutes. How can one tell if PR is kicking in or not?