PX-716A DVD Rip Problems Despite All Fixes

vbimport

Using DVD Shrink 3.2, and having Speedread enabled in the latest version of Plextools Professional (2.21) and enabling DMA on all IDE drives, I still can’t get a DVD to rip any faster than 4,000-5,000KB/s.

Anyone have any idea what some other problems may be?

Believe the manual says if you hold the Eject button for three seconds it enables speed read W/O plex tools. My S/R is always enabled but I remember having to go set the read speed in Basic settings after enabling Speed Read.
Also with Shrink it may be doing a Deep Analysis or you could have your Quality Enhancment Settings set and that will slow down ripping time a lot!! :slight_smile:

DVD Shrink performance is mostly base on your processor speed, especially if you “shrink” movies down to fit your dvds. This means that DVD Shrink transcode the movies on the fly while ripping. In other words, if you want to see faster DVD Shrink process, you need to get faster computer. :slight_smile: The firmware updates can’t help raising transcoding speed.

What you could try is to first decrypt the entire DVD to your hard disk via DVD Decrypter and then load the files in DVD Shrink or any other DVD transcoding software. I don’t know if this method will be any faster though… During the ripping process with DVD Decrypter you should also take a look at the speed it’s using. It should reach faster speeds than 4X if your computer (and especially your hard disk) is fast enough to handle high data transfers.

First off thanks for the replies. I know something isn’t right.

I have a P4 2.0Ghz w/512 megs of RAM so the HD and Processor speed should definately be able to handle it. Could it have been something I did while installing the drive with the IDE cables? I’m not the most computer literate guy and I had to switch all my IDE wires because of the locations and Master/Slave relationships.

My HD has a seperate slot that didn’t even look like an IDE.
IDE 1 (or 2, I can’t tell) has the Plextor as master and DVD/CDR as slave.
IDE 2 (or 1…) has my floppy and zip drive Master/Slaved (can’t remember which is which, I just went with whatever I could fit.

Anything else pop into anyone’s head?

do you have enabled the speed read option in plextools ?

Well, first of all, do you compress or do you just copy? Even if you only shuffle the stuff onto your hard drive with DVD Srink, you will soon find that it eliminates all kinds of protection – e.g. cs and regional limitations. This slows everything down. Therefore, a 2-GHz cpu isn’t that fast if it comes to dvd’s. Secondly, the physical structure of the original might play a role; double layer discs are much slower. And if you have scratches on them … BTW, I’ve had dvd’s that read even slower without any scratch.

If you want to test the PX-716 rip speed, use DVDdecryptor. Trying to transcode on a 2Ghz CPU is going to slow down the “rip”. I’ve had DVDs take 40+ minutes to rip/transcode on my 3Ghz machine with DVDshrink.

I found ripping with DVDShrink or VobBlanker while running AnyDVD or DVD43Free is a slower process than ripping first with DVDDecrypter to HD then loading the files in DVDShrink or VobBlanker. It will only take a few seconds to loading the files in DVDShrink or VobBlanker after ripping to the HD with DVDDecrypter (with the exception of Deep Analysis with DVDShrink). Hope this info is helpful. :slight_smile:

nadum215 wrote

Using DVD Shrink 3.2, and having Speedread enabled in the latest version of Plextools Professional (2.21) and enabling DMA on all IDE drives, I still can’t get a DVD to rip any faster than 4,000-5,000KB/s.

good suggestions have already been made to you. as already suggested rip to your hard drive first using the LATEST DVD DECRYPTER. then load those files in DVD SHRINK.

nadum215 wrote

I have a P4 2.0Ghz w/512 megs of RAM so the HD and Processor speed should definately be able to handle it. Could it have been something I did while installing the drive with the IDE cables? I’m not the most computer literate guy and I had to switch all my IDE wires because of the locations and Master/Slave relationships.My HD has a seperate slot that didn’t even look like an IDE.
IDE 1 (or 2, I can’t tell) has the Plextor as master and DVD/CDR as slave.
IDE 2 (or 1…) has my floppy and zip drive Master/Slaved (can’t remember which is which, I just went with whatever I could fit.

Anything else pop into anyone’s head?

where is your hard drive connected to? do you have a SATA hard drive? it would help if you posted your computer specs. :wink: