PX-716A Does not see disc!

My 2 year old Plextor PX-716A no longer recognizes when I put any type of disc in it. It can be DVD, CD, blank, etc and never sees it. Is the drive shot or is there something I can do. It was working fine until yesterday. Can it just die suddenly. :sad:

To make things worse the 760A is sold out everywhere I look. If I have to replace it what should I get?

George

Try to run the self-test: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=49767#general-defective

A little bit off topic.

I have a Plextor PX-W4012TA cd burner. It passes the self-test. But I always have differences, range from 1 to 30s, when using Nero to burn/verify.

I think the self-test is not working at least in my case.

It does take some seconds for the drive to recognize the media. If this process takes long it can be an indication of possibly bad (pressed or burned) media.

I tried on Fuji MIJ cd-r and Verbatim MIT cd-r. My other cd burners can burn/verify same batch w/o any problem. I don’t think my Plextor got that lucky, every time got a bad media. :bigsmile:

hwp, I just tried the self test and did eevrything correctly but the result was the 3x slow blinking orange light which is supposed to mean the disc is not blank. I tried a couple to be sure but the same thing happened. I guess the drive is dead since it doesn’t even recognize a disc in test mode.

Can you recommend a replacement drive? My second drive is a Lite-on SHM-165H6S and I am not sure whether to get a plextor or another lite-on. I was thiking about the Lite-on LH-20A1H-186.

Thank you for you help.

George

if you can hear spin sound one more try use DVD lens cleaner ( 2 years old and nothing to loose )