PX-716 heart transplant

vbimport

Well, my 716SA has been poorly lately, having trouble initializing most burned DVD’s and falling back to 4X burn speed even on the best media. Reading doesn’t go over 8X either. Did a thorough clean-up inside and even fiddled with the two set screws at the bottom of the PUH (assuming these are for CD and DVD laser intensity respectively), all to no avail. Getting a double-blink on the self-test with MCC004 too :(.

Being the Plex I went through the most trouble to obtain and not wanting to exchange it for an 810SA :bigsmile:, I went ahead and “borrowed” the complete internal chassis from a spare 716A I have. This is surprisingly easy, with just 4 screws and 3 flat cable clips to undo. This is the result:

Nice job Cressida! Glad it turned out OK :clap:

Love the thread title BTW :bigsmile:

Hmm, that doesn’t look too bad for an uncalibrated unit… so back it goes in the original drive, flash to same firmware, take next disc from same spindle and here’s the result:

Thanks, Arachne :flower:.

Well, PIF in the original drive do appear to be lower (would need more tests), but PowerRec worked better in the repaired unit, keeping PIE in check at a lower level :iagree:.

Anyway, since I prefer SATA over PATA, I won’t hesitate using the 716SA like this. Will add more results when I have them.

Tried one last 4X burn with the original 716SA. Still works, but it’s no use… :sad:

[QUOTE=Cressida;2051487]
Anyway, since I prefer SATA over PATA, I won’t hesitate using the 716SA like this. Will add more results when I have them.

Tried one last 4X burn with the original 716SA. Still works, but it’s no use… :sad:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t hesitate either, not too shabby at all :slight_smile:

Yes, that last burn is a bit of a tragedy…:sad:

Some more test burns with the repaired 716SA, from a “difficult” Verbatim spindle. 16X, 12X, 8X and 6X burns respectively, all 16X TRT’s good in the LiteOn.

For comparison, same media burned at 16X in a 755UF (TRT in LiteOn good):

[QUOTE=Cressida;2051474]I went ahead and “borrowed” the complete internal chassis from a spare 716A I have. This is surprisingly easy, with just 4 screws and 3 flat cable clips to undo. This is the result:[/QUOTE]

I’m confused. Why didn’t you just take the non-working burner out and put the whole spare in its place?

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2056116]I’m confused. Why didn’t you just take the non-working burner out and put the whole spare in its place?[/QUOTE]

Because I want (and need) a SATA drive in my PC. The spare unit('s PCB) is PATA. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Cressida;2056205]Because I want (and need) a SATA drive in my PC. The spare unit('s PCB) is PATA. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, cool. I missed the different model numbers - 716 / 716[B]SA[/B]

Wow, I did about another dozen OK (admittedly low speed) burns before trying another “test” with well known media (a 50-tub of Maxell 8X Ritek R03). This is what came out:

Hmm, the best first GB I ever saw with these, but the worst last GB as well. This got me worried enough to put the internal chassis back into the original (PATA) 716A drive and run another test (convinced that it would be much better). Well, apparently not - PowerRec musn’t like these discs to go all haywire like that? Never had this problem with these discs in other drives - confusing…

Found an old Plex burn in the spindle (this was with my former 755A PATA drive). Seems like PowerRec really can’t get a grip on these. Faith restored (just when I put the other 716A drive - and bad optics - back in the box / I’ll be doing the switch in record time next) :bigsmile:

Alright, after switching the internals back to the 716SA, I tested some more Riteks with PowerRec/AutoStrategy Off etc., but they just don’t work well.

So next I tried a Daxon, which can be compared with 755UF burns here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2004226-post205.html . Low speed yes, but I’d say my “716A/SA” did pretty well :). PowerRec falls back to 8X with these in a simulation anyway.

:bigsmile: heck yeah, that’s why we’re CD/DVD Freaks :bow: no guts no glory i always say :slight_smile:

Thanks for the thread Cressida

I wouldn’t call it glory Bob, more of a makeshift solution ;). Anyway, I’m happy the 716SA still works (and the 716A too, I just can’t use them at the same time :p). Not that I ever planned to, I actually bought that 716A with a possible repair of my older 716UF in the back of my mind. Fate has decided otherwise.

Here’s another good burn with my mediocre Panasonics (they all have the problem around 2.5GB and there’s scuff marks near the outer edge, hence the slowdown):

My transplants haven’t gone over quite so nicely :a

I was surprised myself that it even works halfway. But you’ve got another new one coming, I saw. :wink:

Damm…my Plextor refuses to Burn Verbatim +R…

I have to open it, and chech the cables…and maybe clean the laser…

Strangly, it burns well -R…:confused::rolleyes:

Tomorow, i will open it…

Can loose “my Baby”…:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, i couldn`t live, with my Plextor refusing to Burn Verbatim anymore…:sad:

So…

I did OPEN IT AGAIN!!:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Inside…

Ok…this cable was my firt concernation…the first time after my Plextor Died, i notice that it was kind of loose, or badly conected…

It was ok!:wink:

First problem:

I did open the machine, and that litle piece of plastic, on the left, was outside is natural place…

Easly, i could find his right place. Its the part, that open the tray, manually…as you can see here:

Here, i can see some dirty,i did clean everthing, carefully, with cotton, dry.
Also the laser.:flower:

Finaly…:confused:

WTF?!?!?

Yes…dear cdfreaks…i did use a litle of [U]natural oil[/U], from the kitchen, to put in mobil pieces of the laser part…:eek::eek:

Did it work?

Well, i reintall FW 1.11, then i did put a DL movie on the PC, for 3 hours…after all that time, i did try to burn a Verbatim +R, at 12X.

Result:

At 41%, it did droop the speed, and stayed at 8X…

Not bad:bow:

Mordorr

P.S. - Don`t try this at home kids! Only staff from cdfreaks!!:p:p:p