Well, my 716SA has been poorly lately, having trouble initializing most burned DVD’s and falling back to 4X burn speed even on the best media. Reading doesn’t go over 8X either. Did a thorough clean-up inside and even fiddled with the two set screws at the bottom of the PUH (assuming these are for CD and DVD laser intensity respectively), all to no avail. Getting a double-blink on the self-test with MCC004 too :(.
Being the Plex I went through the most trouble to obtain and not wanting to exchange it for an 810SA , I went ahead and “borrowed” the complete internal chassis from a spare 716A I have. This is surprisingly easy, with just 4 screws and 3 flat cable clips to undo. This is the result: