Hi y’all - it’s been a while, but I’m running into some problems with an external plextor PX-712UF I just picked up for real cheap on ebay.
I’m having buffer jumping problems on one of my laptops. I have no problems on the 2nd laptop - no buffer issues as explained at the end.
I owned a PX-716UF in the past and gave that away to my cousin.
Anyways, I couldn’t find a good keyword search to describe my problem so here it is (I’ll also include my laptop specs below) :
I’ve tried buning a few DVD+R (Fuji - Taiyo Yuden 02) to DVD-ROM mode via :
- Nero Burning Rom 184.108.40.206
- ImgBurn 220.127.116.11
When trying to write a data dvd-rom, the buffer goes from 0-99% and back, randomly - with estimated burn times at 4x over 1 hour long - noted from both applications.
I checked to see through device manager what mode my primary/secondary IDE channels were :
Primary = Ultra DMA Mode 5
Secondary = Ultra DMA Mode 2
My internal DVDRW Lite-On Slimtype DVDRW SSM-8515S runs fine with no device buffer erros.
** Device Manager : No yellow exclamation signs / errors.
Tried connecting on seperate attempts the PX-712UF to a firewire Texas Instruments compliant cardbus pcmcia adapter and to the laptop’s firewire port.
I have an external 300gb seagate drive running on either of the above firewire ports -
When I have my seagate plugged into the laptop firewire port and the px-712uf plugged into my cardbus - the burning process starts - but for example at 4x burn - it shows 1 hour 16 minutes remaining for the burning process -
when I tried switching ports - (seagate plugged into the pcmcia and px-712uf in the laptop firewire port - my system just froze - hard reboot needed)
The PX-712UF firmware is the last one v1.09
PowerRec and all the other options by default are selected in Plextools
A side note, my internal writer doesn’t buffer fluctuate when writing -
I did a self-test on the PX-712UF - no errors, disc ejected out normally after a few minutes.
Hopefully this is something silly I am I am overlooking ?
This laptop I’m having problems with is a
- Compal HEL-80 Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz / 1gb ram / 100gb 7200gb SATA (NTFS) / external 300gb seagate (FAT32) via firewire port. XPpro SP3
I set the same firewire cardbus pcmcia on my old IBM R31 Thinkpad and burned some data dvd-roms from the same media source as above - no buffer errors / stable device buffer - and the time @ 4x was reasonably normal - tested with ImgBurn.
So it’s something to do with a laptop setting on the first, just can’t figure out what I intially thought I got a crappy drive - but it’s working great on the ThinkPad - which is an old PIII 700Mhz / 512mb Ram / 30gb HDD NTFS - ultraDMA mode 5 & 2 for primary/secondary respectively. XPpro SP3
Alright, thanks for taking the time to read this - and hopefully y’all can direct me towards what’s holding back my buffer/burn situation on the first laptop!
- P.S. if there’s any additional info that I could paste here from my system, let me know - hopefully I can generate it through something built in on XP or from one of these burning apps or through plextools mentioned above - cheers!