Px-712a burning bad disks

Hi, Ive been noticing my burner (with firmware 1.07) has been burning bad DVDs. Ive been burning some large rar archieves and the DVDs are readable and verifying after the burn shows no errors. But when I test the files, winrar shows CRC errors. They definatly were not there when I made the archives. I have tried lowering the speeds but that doesnt fix the problems. Im using Verbatim DVD+Rs and the files burn fine in another burner I have. so im sure the media Im using is fine. Is it safe to assume that this burner is bad?

No. While corrupted data could be a hardware issue it most likely this is a driver issue. Do you have any 3rd party IDE driver installed?

Could you perform a PI/PO test on the discs you burned and post the results here? Thanks and welcome to the forums.

No. While corrupted data could be a hardware issue it most likely this is a driver issue. Do you have any 3rd party IDE driver installed?

I dont think so, how can I check?

Could you perform a PI/PO test on the discs you burned and post the results here? Thanks and welcome to the forums.

Im not familiar with Pi/Po tests, where can I find more info on that and how to do them?

Thanks this place seems like a mountain of info about everything cd/dvd related heh

• Right click on My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Device Manager
  • Click the + sign on DVD/CD-ROM drives
  • Right click on your PX-712A and select Properties
  • Click the Driver tab

If the “Driver Provider” doesn’t say Microsoft, then you are using a third party IDE driver. Click the Uninstall and restart your PC so Windows will reinstall MS IDE driver.

Please read the Plextor FAQ, in particular What is PI/PO DVD scanning, and how do I use Plextools to do it?

Ok, I checked the drivers and they are from Microsoft.

I burned some other files again and here are the results of the Pi/Po scan

So that means the DVD is very readable right?

However, the archives are still full of CRC errors. They were not there before they were burned…

I am using Nero 6 to burn

That scan reveals no problem areas so the most likely source of your CRC errors is corrupted data during the writing process. Most commonly this is caused by bad IDE drivers but I see you’re already using the default Microsoft drivers so that’s most likely not the problem. What you can try is to delete the IDE channel your Plextor is attached to in the Device Manager (Start > Control Panel > System > IDE/ATAPI Controller > Remove the one your Plextor is attached to) and reboot. This will make Windows re-install it and hopefully fix the problems. If not, report back and give is a detailed description on your system. It would be helpful if you also used PXinfo and post the log file here. Good luck!

Do you use a VIA KT133A chipset? Not even MS chipset drivers can work with that stuff in some cases.

Also, cheap or/and damaged RAM can cause this problem. Run memtest86+ to check this

Allways a good idea to check your IDE cables as well. See here. :slight_smile:

Hi, after reading the part about check the IDE channels I noticed that the drive was in PIO mode… but I didnt set this and I definatly remember putting it in DMA mode before. What could cause it to be set in PIO mode?

Windows sets drives to PIO when DMA results in too many data transfer errors