Px-708A TLA# 0102 (?)

Hi,
with a nice price drop just before X’mas and a DVD burner to buy, why don’t buy the only 8x available readly here in Europe?
so I’ve just purchased the px-708a black edition.
The TLA# is 0102 and on the paper looks like I’ve got a new rev 0102 with a Firm 1.02 0102.
Maybe the black edition have 01 like default ?
I’m a little dissappointed, there’s no DVD media inside the retail package.

The 01 is the hardware rev, the 02 is the firmware rev. Recommedatin is to upgrade to firmware 1.03 to get improvements in writing quality.

According to the Plextor site, no DVD media is included
http://www.plextor.be/english/products/PX708A.html

It’s not the black color. I have also a Plextor PX-708a drive, with TLA# 0103, and it’s white. So it has nothing to do with color.

I emailed plextor, and apparently there is no difference between the TLA#00xx and TLA#01xx, they’re just different production lines, and the 01 has newer firmware on it.

The TLA number has four digits, the first two indicate the hardware revision, the last two the installed firmware. It’s in the FAQ!

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
The TLA number has four digits, the first two indicate the hardware revision, the last two the installed firmware. It’s in the FAQ!

We know the first two digits specify the hardware revision. But we like to know what are the differences between TLA# 00xx and 01xx

My reply was intended for dism0nk :wink:

Plextor will probably never tell you what the hardware changes have been. Sometimes parts of a drive are not manufactured anymore and replaced with a newer model of equal quality and specs.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]My reply was intended for dism0nk :wink:

Plextor will probably never tell you what the hardware changes have been. Sometimes parts of a drive are not manufactured anymore and replaced with a newer model of equal quality and specs. [/B]

I know that the Plextor Premium TLA# 01xx is better than TLA# 00xx. So maybe this is also the case with the PX-708a…

The hardware TLA can reflect anything “major”. This can be a change from one vendor to another for an IC, a change in an IC to improve yield, or a second source for parts that may need some tweaking to the firmware—so basically anything.