What was the production date on them?

I’m too lazy to pull out my drive…my box says this:
TLA#102

Is that any help to you?

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
[B]I’m too lazy to pull out my drive…my box says this:
TLA#102

Is that any help to you? [/B]

Uh, the TLA should be 4 digits. Are you sure it’s not “0102” ?

Plextools will tell you as well.

(FWIW, my PX-708A which works perfectly is a TLA #0103 drive. It shipped with rev 01 and firmware 1.03. Then again other people have had serious problems with drives of this TLA.)

Mine is TLA#0000, working fine.

Uh, the TLA should be 4 digits. Are you sure it’s not “0102” ?

OOps! I did forget one digit, it’s 0102. From those numbers what does it mean? Is it when the drive was manufactured? I don’t have plextools. Is it true the only ones that have plextools is drives made in the UK?

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
OOps! I did forget one digit, it’s 0102. From those numbers what does it mean? Is it when the drive was manufactured? I don’t have plextools. Is it true the only ones that have plextools is drives made in the UK?

The first 2 digits are the hardware version number and the second two are the factory loaded firmware version.

So your drive has hardware version 01. (The oldest version is 00 and newest is 02 for this drive.)

And the 02 tells us that your drive came preloaded with firmware 1.02.

I don’t think you’ll be able to get an actual date of manufacture from this TLA number though. You’ll have to read the label on the physical drive.

(Note: If you want to get plextools, read the Plextor FAQ in this forum which explains how to set it up. Normally Plextools Pro is only available with the European distribution of this drive, but I have it working just fine here in Canada.)

The PlexTools Professional software is shipped with Plextor drives sold in Europe. The software is shipped worldwide with the Plextor Premium drive and with the upcoming PX-712A drive. But, as Jucius_Maximus already pointed out, there are solutions to get the software to work wherever you live.

Many more users swear BY the Plextor drive rather than swear AT the drive. You can check on any forum and any drive model and find just as many users who b***h at their drive because it doesn’t meet their expectations (funny how people are like that)…

Most problems with ANY drive have been solved by using good quality media, clearing system issues, removing software conflicts, and configuring properly. I’ve never had a problem with any of my Plextor drives that wasn’t caused by crappy media or some shareware my kids loaded (ok, a bad pickup on a PX-W4012A, but the RMA was quick).

I have had my 708A for about a month now and just went through a 50 pack of Ritek DVD-R’s without one coaster(using DVDshrink and NERO).Once I tried a TDK DVD+R 4x which burned at 8x. I have burned data to memorex DVD-RW’s, Staples CD-R’s, and Imation CD-RW’s all without a hiccup. I LOVE this drive…

FYI: I bought a DELL and ripped out the TEAC DVD+RW drive and replaced it with the Plextor. I am running XP SP1 with a P4 3Ghz, 1 Gig of RAM. My plextor and my lite-on DVD drive are set up on Cable Select. I was turned on to this drive by a co-worker who also swears by it…I hvae read good reviews on the NEC 2500 too…but I think the Plextor has a much better build quality…hence the extra cost…

moodyman wrote:

I was turned on to this drive by a co-worker who also swears by it…I hvae read good reviews on the NEC 2500 too…but I think the Plextor has a much better build quality…hence the extra cost…

:slight_smile: another satisfied Plextor customer!

The 708A’s that had the CD Portion die on me happened within four to six weeks of heavy DVD burning.

Once in a while, just burn a CD-R to see. I wouldn’t have known the drives were defective had I not needed to copy some CD’s

'nuff said.

axolotls wrote:

The 708A’s that had the CD Portion die on me happened within four to six weeks of heavy DVD burning.

Once in a while, just burn a CD-R to see. I wouldn’t have known the drives were defective had I not needed to copy some CD’s

'nuff said.

I strictly only use my 708A for burning dvd media. I use my Plextor 40x12x40 for cd burning.

Waaay back in october 1998 I bought my first Plextor (4/12C), this drive was supposed to replace a HP8100. That Hp drive really disappointed me; it couldn’t even burn a full 80 min. cd-r. Well, I had to use some extra money for the Plex and for a SCSI controller, but what the heck. At that time I was a total newbie at cd burning, but I was very keen to learn. I discovered that along with Prassi-Cdreplicator this drive performed magic. A couple of months later I discovered CloneCd. What a joy. At that time Ollie was my God. That drive was also a damn good audio ripper, for the time being. Now this Plextor fulfilled all my expectations, and I’v been a Plex-dude ever since. I could trust that drive 100%. In the following years I’ve been the happy owner of these plextor drives:

PX-20TSI (Not a burner but a rock solid cd-drive)
PX-40TS (Not a burner but a rock solid cd-drive)
PlexWriter 8/2/20
PlexWriter 12/10/32A
PlexWriter 24/10/40A (had to RMA this drive once)
PlexWriter Premium
PX-708A (TLA 0000)

All of these drives has fulfilled my expectations, except for the PX-708A. I know that there has been an issue with safedisc-protected games, ever since; Red Alert 2 was released, but that’s not my point. My point is that all these burners (except for the PX-708A) have been very stable, and did what they were good at with glory.

I honestly have to say the I don’t really use the PX-708A for cd-r’s, but I made some tests to compare with my other drives. I mainly compared the ‘cd-scans’ with ‘scans’ made with my LTD-52/24/6 and my Premium. I can’t say I was impressed about the PX-708A’s performance; the numbers of C1/C2 errors were significantly higher than with the two other drives. I would have expected a better performance from the Premiun drive, but the cheap (No offence, this is a very cool drive) Liteon totally out performed the PX-708A too.

My Next problem (and my major complain) is about DVD burning. I have been following every step of every DVD burning guide, and still haven’t found one with a satisfactory success rate. Jaydee123 has guided me (thanks) and I finally thought I found a steady solution. But every now and then I end up with a coaster. I never get an error while burning, but some of the movies suddenly freeze, while watching them. If I use the same guides with the same media (plextor recommended) along with my Toshiba–5002 I never get a coaster. Just to check it out I decided to rip some of the coasters and reburn the rip’s with my Toshi. Well, I wasn’t even able to rip the discs with my Plex! I actually had to rip’em with my ltd 163. After that I reburned the discs with the Toshi. No problems, now the discs worked? This has nothing to do with my stand-alone player; I’ve tried quite a few with the same results.

I’m still a Plex-dude, but I can definitely NOT recommend this drive. When/if I’m ever is going to by a Plextor DVD burner again, I will be more careful.