PX-708A - recommended or not?

I don’t have a DVD burner yet, but I’m planning on buying one in near future. After considerable amount of research I’ve decided that Plextor would be the right choice, basically based on vendor’s reputation and quality of its products.

But I’m seeing a lot of pple reporting problems in this forum, and I’ve also seen a lot of comments about this drive being picky about the media. I always use decent media (TY CD-R’s) for anything important, but for temporary stuff I also burn a lot of CDR’s on bargain-priced media, such as Memorex, Imation, you get the idea. These are usually made by CMC or Ritek. I never use no-name media, though.

So how well will those work in this drive? And here’s another thing - I’ll probably end up using the drive 80% for CDR’s, 20% for DVDRs. So CDR functionality is important. My current drive burns anything, and perfectly, but at ridiculously low speed (hey it’s an old drive), which is one of the reasons I’m looking for an upgrade.

I checked the media compatibility table on the Plextor site, and they list pretty much everything, including CMC, Ritek, Ricoh, among others, so does it mean I’ll be OK?

Thanx in advance for any info!

-GK

If you’re going to use good media, meaning no no-name brands, you’ll be fine. The Plextor PX-708A works well with media that’s on the recommended media list. It’s pickier with media that’s not on the list. I would recommend this drive to anyone but I’m a Plextor fan…

:wink:

I have one too and mine works great although I would recommend you to look at PX-712A before deciding on buying a PX-708A.
//Danne

I have this drive and I must say that it’s wonderful given that:

1. You get a working one.
  2. You use the recommended media.

Lots of people have had to get replacement 708A’s because their original unit has problems with CD media (sometimes not reading CD-R/w at all.) I was in this boat, although my replacement drive has been humming along without problems since January.

Ritek media will burn happily in the 708A, although I think CMC CD-Rs aren’t happy in anything. There’s a reason that people call them the Coaster Manufacturing Company. (CMC DVDR media is more consistent though.)

I say you should save some bux and get yourself a Lite-On or Pioneer burner and then, when dual layer DVD writers come out, sell your DVD burner and use the money plus your saved bux to get a dual layer.

That’s what I should have done.

ABSOLUTELY NOT (unless you won’t use this drive for CD burning or reading)

I am on my second one that needs to be RMA’d cuz now it won’t recognize CDs. Slowly died over the course of a week.

708A - 840G NO NO NO NO NO NON ON ONO NO NO NO NO NOO

DVD capabilties are still working though.

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
Lots of people have had to get replacement 708A’s because their original unit has problems with CD media (sometimes not reading CD-R/w at all.) I was in this boat, although my replacement drive has been humming along without problems since January.

That doesn’t sound good at all! And scratching the CD’s?? I thought Plextor makes quality products! So is there a way to avoid getting a bad drive, like by looking at the rev. #, or is it pretty much a matter of luck?

I say you should save some bux and get yourself a Lite-On or Pioneer burner and then, when dual layer DVD writers come out, sell your DVD burner and use the money plus your saved bux to get a dual layer.

Well I’m trying to avoid bying “el cheapo” products, having been burnt in the past. In fact this is one of the reasons I’m thinking of Plextor. I’m not gonna wait for dual-layer drives/media, those are months away and I imagine will be quite expensive. Not sure what to do at this point…

-GK

Originally posted by GKnight
That doesn’t sound good at all! And scratching the CD’s?? I thought Plextor makes quality products! So is there a way to avoid getting a bad drive, like by looking at the rev. #, or is it pretty much a matter of luck?

There is no known drive rev number that is free of problems. If you get this drive, it is a gamble. (Once again, there have been zero problems with my replacement drive with TLA #0103. Then again, other people have had troubles with this rev.)

With respect to quality products, this drive seems to be one of Plextor’s rare problematic ones. I had 2 plextor CD-Rw drives before this and they were both 100% problem-free.

Originally posted by GKnight
Well I’m trying to avoid bying “el cheapo” products, having been burnt in the past. In fact this is one of the reasons I’m thinking of Plextor. I’m not gonna wait for dual-layer drives/media, those are months away and I imagine will be quite expensive. Not sure what to do at this point…

Lite-on and LG drives are not el-cheapo products in the respect that they might be low quality. If I was to do it all again, I’d probably have gotten a mid-range lite-on DVD burner and then saved the rest of my money for a dual layer burner, whenever they come out.

Though I too had few problems with CD-R/CD-RW media compatibility which was resolved by using “recommended” media, I would recommend 708A drive. But now that 712A drive has been announced, I’d rather go for that one, because it will be faster, support more features, and maybe (hopefuly :)) will be less pickier about media.

Originally posted by aberzins
Though I too had few problems with CD-R/CD-RW media compatibility which was resolved by using “recommended” media, I would recommend 708A drive.

Mind you, I was using Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs all along, which are pretty much the best of the recommended media, and I still had problems.

Mind you, I was using Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs all along, which are pretty much the best of the recommended media, and I still had problems.

Well then maybe it wasnt media in your case.

Hi!

I have my second PX708A after the first ones’ CD part didn’t work. In the meantime I bought a NEC ND2500A. Now I don’t use the Plextor anymore, because the NEC burns with much lower error rates on every media I’ve tried so far (+R: RiTEK 4x, Ricoh4x&8x; -R: CMC2x, AN35_4x, Princo2x). OK, not all of this media is superb, but who wants to spend more than 2,- EUR for a disc?

All in all I wouldn’t recommend the PX708A. When you look at the price, you could nearly get two NECs for that!

Legnerp

I have a 708A and have had absolutely no problems with it. I would suggest you use the recommended dvd media and although they have a compatiblilty chart for other brands of media some do work and others don’t. Other brands of burners have their share of pros and cons. Just take a look at the other forums like Pioneer, Nec, & Liteon. That’s just my opinion based on my experience using 708A. :slight_smile:

I am using my third Px708A after changing the two first ones for presenting problems reading and recording CD. Now only I use it for DVD.
If I had to choose a drive today he would buy NEC, Plextor has disappointed me.

Trisk

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE PLEXTOR 708A (including the ones that work now even if you RMA’D them).

What was the production date on them?

The two that don’t work for me are 10/03 and 11/03

Thanks!

Maybe this will whittle down the BAD Plextor 708A to a specific run.

I stopped by a local BestBuy and they are selling 708A with TLA 0204. Perhaps the CD issues have been resolved with this new TLA?

I’m now considering Pioneer A07, any thoughts on that? I also saw Pacific Digital on sale at Staples, which from what I’ve heard is a NEC drive, for $100 after rebate.

-GK

i got a February 2004 model… same problem… will not read CD’s

This thing is a piece of $#it!!! :frowning:

Good to see others that think 708 is a POS!!!..i think plex should refund our money for there poor quality burns…esp on Ricoh…
PLEXTOR READ THIS FIX IT!!!

I think tribalism aside…we forget to ask…what kind of burning do you intend to do?? Yes, I read the original post…know your plan is 80% cd-r 20% DVDr…but what kind of burns make a difference.

If all you are doing is data cd’s, be them mp3’s…document storage…general backup…philips makes a great drive. If you are “backing up” games…movies…etc, while plextore is one of the main names this room…so are NEC2500A’s and LiteOn, and 1 or 2 others…:slight_smile:

It’s a tool, how you use the tool has alot to do with what drive you should invest in…:slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents…:slight_smile:

Originally posted by ZigZagMan
If all you are doing is data cd’s, be them mp3’s…document storage…general backup…philips makes a great drive. If you are “backing up” games…movies…etc, while plextore is one of the main names this room…so are NEC2500A’s and LiteOn, and 1 or 2 others…:slight_smile:

That’s it basically - burn data CD’s, mp3’s, backups, that sort of thing. Occasionally audio CDs. Most of my stuff fits on CDs, but sometimes I wish I had a DVD drive.

Also my current CD burner is very old and slow. So basically I’m looking to replace my external CD burner and internal CD drive with one drive that does all.

I just want a quality product that does a decent job burning both CDs and DVDs. And preferably from a reputable vendor that provides support and firmware updates (I can’t find either on the NEC site). The reason I chose Plextor is becuase I thought they were making quality products. Obviously this is not the case with 708A. I’m thinking Pioneer A07 drive instead of Plextor - good choice? Any alternatives?

Not sure about Philips - I went to their web site and found nothing for DVDRW drives! They used to make good drives in the past (in fact my current CD burner is Philips), but I wasn’t crazy about their support, I didn’t even know they still make computer drives. I don’t see them sold anywhere, either.

-GK

If it’s CD’s then forget the 708A. If it’s for DVD’s only then go for it -if you don’t care about CD capabilities-.

I have an NEC 1300A. Purchased when my 708A was first in the shop. There are great custom firmwares for it. It can even do bitsettings, which the Plextor cannot (and they say will not) do.

It’s only a 4X/2.4X… but it’s reliable.