PX-708A read problem

Hiya,

Got a strange problem with my new PX-708A.

• I’ve burned some data-dvd’s: went well.
  • Opened a new folder on my HD to copy the DVD-content to (to verify existing content with DVD-content): computer freezes after about 90% is copied to HD.
  • Systemlog states: discovered a mistake on device \Device\CdRom0 handling swap-file (translated from the Dutch: “Er is een fout ontdekt op apparaat \Device\CdRom0 tijdens een wisselbestandsbewerking”). go/microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp doesn’t have any answers.
  • On copying this DVD using an old Toshiba DVD-player all went well; verifying existing content with DVD-content shows no abnormalities.
  • Is not defective media: tested this with Mmore, Maxell and TDK.

Resume: I can burn; the data on the DVD is correct; I can read the DVD using another DVD-player; but I can’t fully read the DVD on my PX-708A.

Does the PX-708A have different heads for writing and reading? If so, one of them could be defective; if not I don’t know what causes this problem.
Anyone can give me a clue?

Configuration:
IntelP4 512Mb 845PEchipset WinXPpro
Latest ATAPI-drivers Latest chipset-Inf’s
IDE1: Master: SeagateHD Slave: WesternDigitalHD both UDMA5 80ribbons wired
IDE2: Master: PX-708A Slave: W4824A both UDMA2 40ribbons wired
Nero 5.5.10.45
Plextor Firmware 1.04

Very interesting, seems none of you can give me a clue.

I’m lucky to be subscribed to the leading Dutch “Personal Computer Magazine”. This month (feb04) they published a 7 page article on this topic (testing the quality of written media on a Plextor PX-708A).

You can read the Dutch language? You own a PX-708A? You must buy this magazine!

In short: test your fresh burned DvD with CD-Speed (www.cdspeed2000.com). This util will try to read at maximum speed; the moment a read-error occurs, the max speed drops (and always in the last 10% of the DVD supposing it’s not a coaster): you now know this DvD is not entirely readable on your PX-708A.

Then check the mediacode of this DvD, using DvD-Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com). Write down this mediacode, so in future you know never to buy a DVD with this mediacode again (and always ask your DVD-supplier for the mediacode of a DVD-brand you wish to order!!!; check the approved ones in the magazine).

My problem is solved now. What keeps worrying me is the fact hundreds of people think they burned perfect DVD’s although they don’t know the last 10% of their DVD is not readable on a PX-708A. Thats why I wrote this reply to my own posting.

which media code are good and wich are bad?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T01-001]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T01]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

YUDEN >> Ple3xtor DVDR+ :slight_smile:

If I understand correctly, I have seen this error appear many times with my PX-708A as well when it tried to read CD-R media. Of course the error was in English in my case.)

To make a long story short, it was creating small curved scuff marks on the discs and always had trouble with CD-R (but not pressed CD or DVD or DVD-R) discs.

The same discs read quite nicely on other computers.

In the end, I exchanged the drive and the new one remains flawless.

I’ve spoken to the dvd-r production people. The outter diameter is the most critical region to control. During the injection molding (making of plastic substrate), if not controlled well, there will be tilting in both radial and tangential direction. This problem might result in pick-up head not able to focus. The PX-708A being an 8x drive is rotating at a much faster speed, hence more critical than 4x drive to the tilting problem.

Did you try to use 4x instead?

An easy way to see if a disc has severe tilt problem is to place the disc on a flat surface. Observe if in the center radii, there is room to be pressed down. A good disc should be very flat.

Don’t trust 100% on the manufacture code. Many small media producer uses codes that belong to other companies.

Many of the bad media, when burned at 8x will exhibit regions of different colors within the portion that is burned.

Don’t be so sure about media codes and DVD’s/CDR’s. I own a Plextor PX708A and have the same problem with CDR’s (have not tried CDRW). Occasionally the disk seems to be (almost) unreadable by the Plex (even genuine TY media !!).
Inserting the disk and after waiting for the spin up AND spin down of the drive, it may start to read extremely slow, then it picks up speed, and slows down again. Forcing it to read during spin up but BEFORE spin down, it may read most of the CD without problems (firmware problem ?). Verifying the disk with a file/folder compare tool will give an unpredictable number of errors in the first case, or a very smal number of errors (even none) in the second case. With an imaging tool you can see that the problem usually locates itself in the last 5% of the media.
Generally these disks are perfectly readable in another drive.
Given what I read about DVD’s and the 708 , it may be the same case.

The same disks give great results on a Lite-on CD burner (not exactly the greatest quality burner, but it works …), and those disks do not give any reading problems on the Plex.

I can only conclude that the Plex is not the most reliable CD burner and is certainly an inferior CD and DVD reader (inferior error correction), just see postings about the Plex not being able to write it own handwriting, some on inferior disks, some on disks that are on the compatibility list of Plextor. Personally I have not had any problems with DVD’s (up till now), but after burning a couple of DVD’s at 8x and seeing the speed jumps, I have decided that the Plex is really a 4x burner trying to be something it isn’t. At the best it would have been a great 6x DVD burner (not CD’s !) As I remember correctly it came out before the specs for 8x DVD+R came out.

The warnings Plextor gives about “fake” disks seems more like a cover up for not being able to put a product on the market with the Plextor quality people expect.