PX 708A new firmware XP re-boot

vbimport

#1

I have flashed 1.04 to 1.06
Everytime XP boots it reboots when it “finds new CD Drive”
I cannot get into Safe mode either.
Anyone know a fix?

As this doesn’t work I am trying to reflash back to 1.04 but need to go into DOS.
In my dos boot disk when running PXUPDATE I get no ASPI layer present error message.

Can anyone help on either?

TIA


#2

try to run your windows XP using the option last known good settings.i hope it works.


#3

I update plextor 708 with 1.06, and with nero, when I burn , I am 100% with my processor, cheat !!

Also, I downdate… 1.04 and with this firmware, it s Ok

=>>> NO PROBLEM WITH 1.04

=>>> PROBLEME WITH 1.06

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh PLEXTOR !!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh What is this Work !!


#4

romsworld2, when you experience 100% CPU load there is probably something wrong with the DMA setting of your drive. Take a look at the IDE channel to which your drive is connected in Device Manager and check the DMA settings. If it says PIO mode 4 then delete the IDE channel and reboot. Windows XP will re-detect the IDE channel and re-install the drives. Hopefully it will also set DMA to mode 2 for your Plextor drive. For more info check the FAQ. It has a section that deals with DMA problems in Windows XP. Oh, and just for the record, this is a Windows XP problem, not a Plextor related problem.


#5

No pb with XP, Plextor is on IDE 0, and Slave => DMA to mode 2


#6

Originally posted by Sfox
[B]I have flashed 1.04 to 1.06
Everytime XP boots it reboots when it “finds new CD Drive”
I cannot get into Safe mode either.
Anyone know a fix?

As this doesn’t work I am trying to reflash back to 1.04 but need to go into DOS.
In my dos boot disk when running PXUPDATE I get no ASPI layer present error message.

Can anyone help on either?

TIA [/B]

The same thing happened when I updated FW 1.04 --> 1.06.

From what I’ve been able to determine, V 1.06 either conflicts with or fails to doesn’t the drive file: imapi.sys

I reflashed to 1.04 and the issue resolved.


#7

My config :

Primary Master : HD
Primary Slave : Plextor

Secondary M : Liteon 40 12 48
Secondary S : Zip 100Mo in PIO mode


#8

Plextor recommends the drive be set to secondary master IDE. Perhaps you need to change the way the drive is set up.


#9

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
Plextor recommends the drive be set to secondary master IDE. Perhaps you need to change the way the drive is set up.

Thanks for that info.

Right before upgrading to 1.06, I made my Plextor the master, thinking the Plextor was ‘the better’ DVD drive (compared to the $50 Samsung DVD Player in my case.)

When things went weird with the FW upgrade, I placed the Plextor back as the secondary, and reflashed back to 1.04.

With your info. you’ve tempted to try 1.06 again to see if it’ll work with the Plextor has the secomdary.

Boy O’ Boy, I sure to hate tinkering around with a puuurfect operating system once things are up and running flawlessly. But I certainly don’t want to miss out on the benefits of the 1.06 firmware upgrade.

Have you flashed to FW 1.06 without problems… have you noticed any real end user improvements with speed?


#10

I haven’t flashed my drive to the newest firmware yet. I’m waiting to see more comments on it before I decide to flash it.


#11

I attemped to update to FW 1.06 today. Once again, IT WAS A DISMAL FAILURE!

XP did not recognise the Plextor DVD automaticallly, as it should have. The New Hardware dialog box came up, asking for the “CD Installations Disc” to install the “New hardware” device.

Plextor’s website says no installation drivers are needed for this drive. SOMETHING’S WRONG with version 1.06.

DO NOT FLASH WITH THIS VERSION!


#12

No, somethings wrong with your system methinks. I am also running Windows XP here (Pro, Sp1) and the Plextor PX-708A (as any other optical drive) doesn’t need any drivers for it to be installed. I could upgrade to firmware v1.06 just fine. After rebooting Windows XP found new hardware and installed it without a hitch.