PX-708A flakey burn?

vbimport

Just tried my first DVD+R disc today, and it seems quite flakey. It won’t read in my Panasonic RP82 at all (either stops and says it can’t read this type of media or locks up the player) which is supposed to read DVD+R), makes funny noises but reads in my XBOX, and reads in my computer. It’s a TDK 4x DVD+R (Ricoh). What’s the deal? Burned at 4x with Roxio Classic. Don’t want to make too many coasters with expensive dvd+r discs. The PX708A is master of the secondary ide channel with no slave.

The quality of RICOHJPNR01 identified discs vary due to manufacturer and batch/production date.

If I’m right there is several different manufacturers (CMC, ricoh and ritek) of 4X DVD+R discs identified as RICOHJPNR01…so the quality may vary.

Also the write quality will most likely improve when new firmware versions is out.

I have just burnt a couple of Ritek G04 white-tops with that printing identification - burnt fine in an NEC 1300, all-green using scandisk, and plays fine in burner and cheap dvd player.

2 is not a great sample, but I hope the quality of this Ritek (SVP aka UK purchaser) is good and not CMC crap.

So, they are sold as Ritek but can be TDK/CMC with that identification - hmm.

What a farce, and if they are Ritek/TDK/CMC - why Ricoh? I believe this was covered elsewhere in cdfreaks, are they manufactured by Ricoh for Ritek?

They have a syrupy smell. Like most TDK CDRs these days. If they can be CMC and identified as Ricoh, I bet thats what they are.

Which poses the question, which DVD+R media is good? Around me, Memorex, TDK, and Fujifilm seems to be the most popular - except the Fujifilm only seems to be 2.4x media. I’ve read this board trying to find good media types and there seems to be no concisive or safe purchase, except maybe TY which apparently is impossible to find. Any recommendations on what to buy in the store? Or online? I guess I’ll just try burning again at a lower speed.

Plextor’s ‘own’ DVD+R media is good media… Unfortunately I don’t know where you can buy them but here’s the ADIP information from one of these discs:

Unique Disc Identifier : [YUDEN000-T01-01+R]
-----------------------------------------------------
Disc Type :              [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID :        [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID :          [T01]
Product Revision :       [01]
Disc Application Code :  [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds :       [2.4x - 4x]
[DVD Plus Identifier - http://DvdPlusID.CdFreaks.com]

Damn it seems all I can’t seem to make a DVD that friggin works on a standalone! I’m using Roxio Classic that came with it (I can’t use dvd builder b/c at this time I am temp using a 800x600 monitor)… Made AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subdirs, copied proper VIDEO_TS files over, shouldn’t that work? Nero doesn’t work as 6.0.0.11 trial version has expired and their site only has .15 for purchase. Would be nice if I was able to verify that I don’t have a defective drive… Seems the burns that Roxio and the 708A are putting out are quite difficult to read.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]The quality of RICOHJPNR01 identified discs vary due to manufacturer and batch/production date.

If I’m right there is several different manufacturers (CMC, ricoh and ritek) of 4X DVD+R discs identified as RICOHJPNR01…so the quality may vary.

Also the write quality will most likely improve when new firmware versions is out. [/B]

WHAT, CMC, Ritek, and Ricoh manufacter these RICOHJNPNR01 disks? That’s an outrage. Now I don’t know which disks I’m getting. How did you come across this information?

Well, switching software seemed to do the trick, all is well.

And, as for media as I mentioned earlier, TDK/CMC CDRs have a very distinctive syrupy smell to them (don’t ask me why I smell my CDRs). These TDK DVD+R discs I got have the same exact smell, but they come up identified as Ricoh. So I’d bet they actually are manuf’d by Ricoh at the CMC plant as someone mentioned earlier.

Maybe someone can use this, my Nero Burning ROM [profile](upload.cdfreaks.com/gf/BLANK DVD NERO.nrc) for burning DVD-Video. Works great for me…

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]Plextor’s ‘own’ DVD+R media is good media… Unfortunately I don’t know where you can buy them but here’s the ADIP information from one of these discs:

Unique Disc Identifier : [YUDEN000-T01-01+R]
Disc Type :              [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID :        [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID :          [T01]
Product Revision :       [01]
Disc Application Code :  [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds :       [2.4x - 4x]
[DVD Plus Identifier - http://DvdPlusID.CdFreaks.com]

[/B]

I do not have a TY (That’s) dvd +R to hand right now, but I believe the above is exactly what I get form these TY branded +R dvdr’s - 2.4-4 as stated. I have burnt 20 of them in the NEC 1300 using 1.05 and nero 5.5.10.42 without any problem and they all pass green and data binary compares.

I may also have posted this dvdr identifier info previously in another thread. You can purchase TY (That’s branded jewel cased Taiyo Yuden named) +R and -R dvdr’s from www.svp.co.uk for around £1.70 inc vat. I posted that many times too :slight_smile:

I am now using Ritek White Top who knows who made them - damn it - as others have posted results on burnt TY dvdr media ans they seem to believe it is poor compared to other media - who do you believe - personally I hold no regard for lite-on write quality and read tests when burnt on other drives. Plextor rules - lets hope the new dual-format writer is better than has been made out.

Ice’y

Originally posted by Ruined
[B]Well, switching software seemed to do the trick, all is well.

And, as for media as I mentioned earlier, TDK/CMC CDRs have a very distinctive syrupy smell to them (don’t ask me why I smell my CDRs). These TDK DVD+R discs I got have the same exact smell, but they come up identified as Ricoh. So I’d bet they actually are manuf’d by Ricoh at the CMC plant as someone mentioned earlier. [/B]

Yes they are.In the last number of C’t (German mag) it’s a test of different DVD medias (unfortunately not on 708a).
They asked TDK and they confirmed that Ricoh was producing the medias (4x+),but… they were using their own engineers so they should get “extra high” quality medias.
Well C’t could not tell any other difference between (Maxell, Memorex,Philips, Platinum, Ricoh, Speer Data (ALL Ricoh 4+ medias))than expected (batch/production date).
Ricoh and Verbatim are the only producers of 4x-plus medias so you should expect good quality on all brands.