PX-708A bizarre behavior

Hi,
I registered to this forum yesterday after losing my drive after a Cd got jammed in it (making all kind of terrifying noises…). I was able to open it back immediatly but the volume drive disappeared. I reboot a couple of times and then de-installed and re-installed the drivers:
Nero ImageDrive2 SCSi
Plextor DVDR PX-708A
VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI
With no success, all of the driver giving me a ‘error 39- drive corrupted’.
I also looked the drivers details and everything seemed ok but for the asapiw2k.sys (I am on wXP)
I looked up for this file which seem to be the autorun and also for error 39 which leads me to removing upper and lower filters in the directory to fix the problem. I even found a site with a executable that does it automatically! http://geeksasylum.free.fr/astuces/logiciels/restaurer_lecteurs_cd_dvd_disparus/part01.htm
I didn’t want to play in the directory before having some advice and I wasn’t sure that it would have helped anyway for a possible damaged harware so I just swiched off the computer for the night.
Next morning my drive was there!
That’s lead me to a couple of questions:

• Is (well positionned) CDs getting jammed in the drive is a known problem on Plextor708A?
  • The volume drive is back and working but the asapiw2k.sys is still not on. Do i need to re-install it?
  • How come a drive can disappear and re-appear like this? XP?
    Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Dominique

Is (well positionned) CDs getting jammed in the drive is a known problem on Plextor708A?

I don’t know. Sorry.

The volume drive is back and working but the asapiw2k.sys is still not on. Do i need to re-install it?

This file is part of the ASPI layer. I would reinstall it if I was you. Generally if it was there before and everything was working it is best to have it.

How come a drive can disappear and re-appear like this? XP?

Hey man it’s Windows. Got to love that disappearing/ reappearing stuff. :stuck_out_tongue: