PX-708A And Scratch Marks on Discs

vbimport

Some people including myself have seen a Plextor PX-708A drive cause scuffs or scratches on the bottom of discs. In an effort to gather all information about this in one place, can you please copy and paste the following form and fill it in, so that we might find any trends in what's happening? Thank you in advance!

The advantage of this thread is that it can help you determine whether or not you have the same problems as other people, and whether or not their solutions will help you. Posting your own information will help the next person and maybe will help Plextor develop a solution if they don't have one already.

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? (if the answer is 'no' then you don't have to fill this out!)

Drive TLA: (find this on the retail box, on the drive itself, or through plextools)

Type of Discs Marked: (does it only scuff DVDs, or only CD-R, or everything except pressed CDs?)

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media? (i.e. does it detect CD-R very slowly or not at all?)

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media? (i.e. does it read a certain type of disc very slowly or not at all?)

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media? (i.e. does writing a certain type of disc fail or work in a strange way?)

What was the solution, if any? (i.e. Did you fix this through a driver update? Was an RMA necessary?)

Replacement Drive TLA Number: (ignore this if you did not get a replacement drive)

Does The Replacement Drive Work? (ignore this if you did not get a replacement drive)

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? Yes

Drive TLA: 0002

Type of Discs Marked: CD-R Only (TY 80 Min, TDK 80 Min), did not try CD-Rw

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media? CD-Rs sometimes take a long time to identify, and often don’t get identified if they are in the drive before the computer boots. There are no issues with other media.

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media? CD-Rs read very slowly.

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media? Never tried.

What was the solution, if any? Got a replacement from the retailer.

Replacement Drive TLA Number: 0103

Does The Replacement Drive Work? Yes.

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? Yes first 5 cd (round scratch but cd are readable and scratch go away with cleaning the cd) and then less scratch and no more on last one
(i didn’t burn a lot of cd after)

Drive TLA: 0102 (Came with 1.02 firmware patched 1.03 and 1.04)

Type of Discs Marked: Only cd-r

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media?
All ok except dvd+rw after writing on it .
Once writted the media is hrd to detect
Now i think about it when scrah desapeared on cd , dvd+rw started to have prob.

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media?
Some cd-r gold layer.
Few error on dvd+rw.

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media?
Ok on all media tedted (cdr,dvd+r,dvd+rw)
OR writing on dvd+rw is wrong and the drive can’t read them.

What was the solution, if any?
Rma in progress (sent the drive today 24/12)->received 31/12
(In fact it was fast: 1 day shipping to belgium
2 opened day since drive received (drive received by plextor th 29 and new sent th 30)
1 day back home.

Replacement Drive TLA Number: Rma in progress -> 0103 (flashed to 1.04 before any writing)

Does The Replacement Drive Work? yes so far (burned 1 cd no scratch , one cd-rw , dvd+rw data and video ->ok and 15 sec media detection)

Rma in progress (doa drive less than 7 days)-> finished
I’ll edit the post when rma drive come back.-> edited

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? Yes, after a reboot of the system the drive didn’t recognize any cdr and cdrw at all. DVD was working ok.

Drive TLA: 0001

Type of Discs Marked: CDR Philips 80 32x speed

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media? didn’t read any cdr and cdrw at all.

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media? didn’t read any cdr and cdrw at all.

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media? didn’t write any cdr and cdrw at all.

What was the solution, if any? RMA

Replacement Drive TLA Number: old one was 0001 and new one is also 0001

Does The Replacement Drive Work? The new drive works ok so far.

Made this thread sticky for now, could be handy for other people.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Made this thread sticky for now, could be handy for other people.

Thanks for helping us out.

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? (if the answer is ‘no’ then you don’t have to fill this out!) N/A

Drive TLA: (find this on the retail box, on the drive itself, or through plextools) 0001

Type of Discs Marked: (does it only scuff DVDs, or only CD-R, or everything except pressed CDs?) No scuffs so far

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media? (i.e. does it detect CD-R very slowly or not at all?) Yes

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media? (i.e. does it read a certain type of disc very slowly or not at all?) Yes

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media? (i.e. does writing a certain type of disc fail or work in a strange way?) Will not read or write to CD-R/RWs

What was the solution, if any? (i.e. Did you fix this through a driver update? Was an RMA necessary?) No solution found yet.

Replacement Drive TLA Number: (ignore this if you did not get a replacement drive) N/A

Does The Replacement Drive Work? (ignore this if you did not get a replacement drive) N/A

jrt, if your drive doesn’t read any cd-r and cd-rw, the drive is damaged.
Go for a RMA.
I had the same problems.
You have to send your drive to Plextor and you will receive a new one.
Probably the drive is stuck in dvd mode.

Thanks for the advice… I was kinda thinking that would be the case. As I posted in JM’s thread below last nite, I was blaming a Roxio s/w update.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82319

Hmmm… I wonder if Plextor pays the freight. I’ll get in touch with them and see. Will post results when I know more.

Originally posted by Venemans
jrt, if your drive doesn’t read any cd-r and cd-rw, the drive is damaged.
Go for a RMA.
I had the same problems.
You have to send your drive to Plextor and you will receive a new one.
Probably the drive is stuck in dvd mode.

Canadian drives must go thru http://www.memofix.com/

Just emailed and asked for RMA.

Originally posted by jrt
Hmmm… I wonder if Plextor pays the freight. I’ll get in touch with them and see. Will post results when I know more. [/B]

Nope, you have to pay to ship it to California or Belgium as the circumstances dictate. :frowning:

Shite! Well, when they email tomorrow I guess the cheaper option is California. :frowning:

I’ll be putting my old PlexWriter 40/12/40A back in the good PC… no DVD burning but great results on CD.

I’m tempted to just keep the defective PX-708A for DVDs only but that’s a wee bit wasteful.

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
Nope, you have to pay to ship it to California or Belgium as the circumstances dictate. :frowning:

Actually, someone else responded saying that Canadian RMAs go through Memofix which is in Concord, Ontario. I was possibly mistaken when I said you would have to ship on your own dime to California.

Originally posted by jrt
Shite! Well, when they email tomorrow I guess the cheaper option is California. :frowning:

As I posted in the other thread

re: Firmware version 1.04 affecting CD-R:

[B]I sent the info they requested (serial #, date purchased, etc) on Dec. 29th and again on Jan 3rd and I am still waiting to hear back from them. They claimed there would be a response by the next business day so I waited for the holiday madness to die down and sent the info again on Jan 8th.

No response. I’m starting to boil… if anyone can list a contact email for someone higher up in support I’d appreciate it.

BTW, since I’m in Canada I had to go thru http://www.memofix.com/ who seem to be asleep on this one… quote from their website:
Thank you for submitting Return Merchandise request form.
We will email you a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number by the end of the business day.

Answer your email already, Plextor![/B]

Saved myself a bit of typing there, lol.

Since this is not specifically related to scratch marks, I have responded to your post right here:

Originally posted by jrt
[B]As I posted in the other thread

re: Firmware version 1.04 affecting CD-R:

No response. I’m starting to boil… if anyone can list a contact email for someone higher up in support I’d appreciate it.

BTW, since I’m in Canada I had to go thru http://www.memofix.com/ who seem to be asleep on this one… quote from their website:
Thank you for submitting Return Merchandise request form.
We will email you a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number by the end of the business day.

Answer your email already, Plextor![/B]

Saved myself a bit of typing there, lol. [/B]

Does Your PX-708A Create Marks On Your Discs? YES, just found out when copying some cdr’s to HDD

Drive TLA: 0103

Type of Discs Marked: only burned cdr so far

Does The Drive Have Problems Identifying Any Types of Media? empty dvd’s are taking 12 seconds to identify

Does The Drive Have Problems Reading Any Types of Media? cdr’s are reading quite slow (when scratching)

Does The Drive Have Problems Writing Any Types of Media? haven’t noticed it yet.

What was the solution, if any? just found out, so didn’t email yet.

Replacement Drive TLA Number: n/a

Does The Replacement Drive Work? n/a

I’m gettin quite angry about this shit. I didn’t pay 230 euro’s for a shitty drive.