PX-708A and DVD+MRW

Can someone explain me, what (from the user’s point of view) does and what does not PX-708A support? I receiver the following behavior and don’t know whether I do something wrong, or this is normal:

1. I have Nero InCD 4.3.0.0 installed and also Burning ROM 6.3.0.2

2. When I have no disc in drive, Nero InfoTool says the drive supports Mt.Rainier, and InCD tab in Explorer for the drive allows checking “MRW format”

3. When I have DVD+RW in drive, no Mt.Rainier in both places

4. Having formatted the DVD+RW (which took about 1 min - so I presume it is wat is called “background formatting”, but InCD did not way “Format MRW”) I can use the drive for copying files - but it works VERY slow (about 600Kb/sec, and sometimes falling even to 150) - though all other operations were OK.

5. When I delete files from DVD+RW, it shows as if available space has increased (AFAIR this is not true for UDF?)

I asked that question to Plextor and they said Mont Rainier is not supported, besides it does background format (that it is a diffrent funcionality).
Formatting takes time, and when the drive tells you that ready for writting it means tor the formated space…and as writting speed is higher than the formatting one, this is the reason it slows down (waiting for available space).

When you have no disc in the drive, InCD sees it as also as a CD writter and this is the reason why it says it supports MR. If you insert a CD-RW it will keep saying the same, I suppose (never saw).

When I have no disc in drive, Nero InfoTool says the drive supports Mt.Rainier, and InCD tab in Explorer for the drive allows checking “MRW format”
This applies to the drive’s Mount Rainier support for CD-R media and not DVD+RW media. There is some info in the FAQ that addresses your question:

[i]Q: Does the Plextor PX-708A fully support Mount Rainier for CD-RW and DVD+RW?

A Simply put: for CD-RW’s: yes, for DVD+RW’s: no. bob11879: As described here, the PX-708A drive does support background formatting in MRW for DVD+RW. The specs for defect management and other components for full MRW are still being firmed up and may not be fully supported until the next MS OS release. Vendors will make their drives DVD+MRW compatible when all the specs are released (source).

The last statement from Plextor about DVD+MRW and PX-708A is that the PX-708A does not support DVD+MRW. Notice that in this sentence, DVD+MRW means the full MRW capabilities, especially defect management. The background format of DVD+RW media is of course available in PX-708A. As MRW defective block management is done at hardware level, the problem cannot be workaround at software (InCD) level.[/i]
Welcome to the forums Cavaler :wink: