PX-708 Won't recognize CDs

vbimport

While I was writing an ISO image to a disc Friday evening, my drive gave an error message and terminated the process. Over the last two days I have determined that it can read and write DVDs with no problem, but it does not even recognize CDs when I put them in the drive. I ran the drive self test with both a blank CD and a blank DVD and confirmed this. I burned a DVD from a file on my hard drive and the DVD works perfectly. Unfortunately, the drive was a Christmas present in 2003, so it is about one month out of warranty. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

do you have Alcohol 120% or any other CD-emulation software installed?

what firmware are you using? if you’re using a older firmware try flashing it with the latest version which is 1.08.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW :slight_smile:
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2) :slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

drpino

I don’t have any disk emulation software loaded. I have Nero, Roxio, and Plextools. I had been reading from the drive earlier in the evening and the problems began while I was trying to write to a CD-R. Going through what I could find on Plextor’s site, it says it is a focus problem with the laser. Doesn’t seem right that it would work for CDs but not DVDs. The drive does not even recognize that there is a disk in it when I put a CD in, either a pressed commercial disk or one I have written. Since it’s out of warranty, I’ll replace it with an NEC 3520 from Newegg for $62 rather than pay Plextor to repair it.

I’ll replace it with an NEC 3520 from Newegg for $62 rather than pay Plextor to repair it.

How about getting a BENQ 1620 or a NU Technology 163 which is a rebadged BENQ 1620 both are available at Newegg.com. BENQ has gotten rave reviews from here and cdrlabs.com. BENQ is a good reader compared to the NEC drives. Also BENQ has bitsetting out of the box compared to NEC drives that have to have 3rd party or hacked firmware to enable that feature. BENQ does have great support with new firmwares frequently. Just my 2 cents.

LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE

Thanks for your help guys. I’m not sure which replacement drive I’ll buy. I’m going to give Plextor some time to respond first. By the way, I am using the latest firmware (1.08). I even repeated the flash just to make sure. I use the drive regularly and this whole thing started while it was in the middle of burning a CD. Plextor has already responded, but only to tell me to run the selftest which I have already done (twice). When I run the self test and put in a blank CD, it just keeps rejecting it. When I put in a blank DVD, it finishes the test successfully. It just seems like a strange condition and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered anything like it.

2 diff lasers for DVD and CD.

drpino

I had wondered if there were two different lasers, but I couldn’t find any info readily available. Just want to confirm, though, are you saying that there are two separate lasers or are you theorizing that there might be? Thanks for the assistance.

two diff lasers…i believe the wavelength of the CD laser is 750nm and the one for DVD is 650nm. something like that…

When I read this thread, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I received a Plextor 708A for Christmas in 2003 also. Last night, February 1, the drive errored out while writing a CD. The drive fails the self-diagnostic and Plextor told me they do not repair out-of-warranty drives. I cannot believe someone else had the same drive fail in the same manner at the same time. That’s pretty strange.

wow that sucks. did you get extended warranty coverage from the place of purchase? my 708UF is about approaching 2 years, hope it doesn’t crap out.

No extended warranty. I had a Plextor 1610 CD writer that failed on me too. I think that was the last Plextor I will ever own. Now, what to buy? Some people like the BenQ, but my main concern is write quality and I don’t know much about how it performs. Also, everywhere shows this drive only does 2.4x for DVD+R9, but the review here says they promised 4x last year?

Some people like the BenQ, but my main concern is write quality and I don’t know much about how it performs. Also, everywhere shows this drive only does 2.4x for DVD+R9, but the review here says they promised 4x last year?

With the firmwares B7P9 & B7T9 from BENQ the 1620 is able to burn 4x DUAL LAYER DVD+R.:stuck_out_tongue:

LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE

i would check your power supply.

Two different PC’s with two different PS’s. One was an Enermax and the current one is a Sparkle. The voltages look fine.

ahh, i c. enermax good, sparkle not so sure about…not only about voltages though.

I opened up the drive and unplugged the ribbon cable that attaches to the laser head. It is a little flip-lever that releases the cable. I cleaned the contacts on the cable and reconnected it. The burner has passed its own hardware test, a Nero CD Speed test, a Nero data CD burn, and a burn of my own data.

Who knew it could be fixed by reseating a connection???

wow, nice work. was worth a shot since you were out of warranty. nice job and congrats on having a working burner again.

I just figured it had to be an issue with some moving part. Non-moving parts failing more than a year later is extremely rare. I cleaned the rails and greased them with plastic-safe grease, but that had no effect … still failed its own hardware check. At that point I had given up and bought an LG GSA-4163b. Then I thought about one more part that moves … the ribbon cable. “It’s not gonna hurt,” I thought to myself. So I tried it. Sure enough, that was it. Now I have two burners … lol. Anyone want a Plextor 708A? :bigsmile:

good on you for undertaking somewhat of a daunting task. if you’re giving it away, i’ll take it :wink: