PX-116A DVD-ROM. Is it UDMA 2 or UDMA 4?

vbimport

Just installed the new PX-116A DVD-ROM in my system (running WinXP) using a standard 40pin IDE cable as stated in the instruction leaflet (whatever happened to the nice documentation Plextor used to do?) and Device Manager shows UDMA Mode 2, not a problem there (at least it stays in UDMA Mode unlike my POS Shite-On LTD-163 which insisted PIO mode was better!!).

However, I installed one for a friend in his system (also running WinXP) and he only had a spare 80pin ULTRA ATA Cable available and now Device Manager shows UDMA Mode 4!

Am I right in thinking his drive will be able to transfer data slightly faster being in Mode 4 as opposed to mine being in Mode 2, or is it a false reading and his drive will only operate in UDMA Mode 2 regardless of what Device Manager says?

Just wondered as I haven’t seen any mention of UDMA modes for this drive, and it doesn’t state it on Plextor Europes site, on the box or in the instruction leaflet? It also doesn’t state you CANNOT use an 80pin cable either! Would be nice know if it is correct and you can squeeze a bit more speed out if it :slight_smile:

And why does it state on the box I need 500mb of hard drive space just to install a piece of HARDWARE?

My best guess would be that UDMA mode 2 is the correct mode as I have never seen drives running in mode 4 before. I also think it won’t make a difference in performance as long as it’s running in at least UDMA mode 2 (33.3MB/s max transfer rate). The PX-116A can read DVDs at 16X CAV maximum which would mean a transfer rate of 21.6 MB/s, well within the capabilities of UDMA mode 2.

My current dvd-drive asus e616 is able to do ata/100 = udma5, so I think it could be possible for px-116a to do udma 4 = ata/66.

Really? Weird, I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

UDMA 5! Yes, very weird!

A DVD-ROM going as fast as a Hard Drive :confused: It even states it on ASUS’s website: Enhanced IDE (ATAPI) bus interface supports ATA/100 (99.9 MB/s) :eek:

Looking at the spec though, 21.6 MB/s is the fastest transfer rate for the 116A so I would go along with G@M3FR3@K, it can’t do 33 MB/s (MAX for UDMA 2) so I would doubt it could do 66 MB/s (MAX for UDMA 4) :slight_smile:

Guess that answers the question then.

So, the interface is up to 100MB/s, max. data transfer rate for the drive: CAV 21640 KB/s (16X dvd).

so udma4 (ata/66) would be enough too, even with a 7200rom hard disk at the same ide.

But it looks good at the boot-up… everything in ata/100 :slight_smile:

I just noticed something! When my PC boots up I get a message saying:

Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed

My 116A is the only device on the Secondary IDE channel, set as Master. Spooky! We’ve ascertained the 116A doesn’t qualify for ATA 66 or above speeds, so why is my MoBo complaining I have no 80pin cable installed? I would have thought only devices CAPABLE of running at ATA 66 or above would generate this message?

More mud in the water :eek:

My PX-116A is connected with a 80 conductor cable and WinXP says UDMA-4.

Out of curiosty, how fast can the PX-116A rip DVDs (is it limited to 2x or can rip at full throttle)?

Just have a look at my previous thread :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72286

my pioneer slot load dvd shows udma-4 as well.

Originally posted by Web-Junkie
[B]I just noticed something! When my PC boots up I get a message saying:

Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed

My 116A is the only device on the Secondary IDE channel, set as Master. Spooky! We’ve ascertained the 116A doesn’t qualify for ATA 66 or above speeds, so why is my MoBo complaining I have no 80pin cable installed? I would have thought only devices CAPABLE of running at ATA 66 or above would generate this message?

More mud in the water :eek: [/B]

If you want to run an ATA66/100/133 device in any of this modes, you need to use a 80 pin cable. No matter if this device reach any of the speeds offered by ATA66/100/133, if it’s built-in IDE controllers says it’s an ATA66+ device, you need the 80 pin cable.