PW-161040A locked after burning CD with Nero

vbimport

Since I upgraded to Win XP, I have the following problem:

After burning a CD, the drive tray is locked and after quitting Nero, the LED indicating HD activity remains lit. The only way to get the tray open again is to completely switch off the computer and restart (a simple reboot doesn't work).

In one instance, after burning a CD, the tray opened automatically (as it should) but VERY slowly.

The CD's are readable on my PC and other PC's.

Below is the report from the Plextor Info Utility.
Motherboard is an ASUS A7M266 (VIA chipset)

Plextor Info Utility V1.14
Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Plextor SA/NV
29 maart 2002

Software information

Operating system : Windows XP V5.01.2600
ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : n/a
Roxio ASPI (cdral.dll) : n/a
Ahead ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : Nero Aspi Library V2.0.1.45 ( not used by PXInfo )

Hardware information

Host Adapter: 0 Adapter Type: atapi Maximum # Targets: 0
Driver : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
File location : C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\atapi.sys
File version : 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)

ID 0: IC35L060 AVER07-0 VER6O
-

Host Adapter: 1 Adapter Type: atapi Maximum # Targets: 0
Secondary IDE Channel
Driver : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
File location : C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\atapi.sys
File version : 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)

ID 0 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A V1.04 (S/N:551711) (0.0.-1?)
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV
Jumper Settings: 001
BURN-Proof disabled
-

Why is Burn-Proof disabled for the Plextor? There is no advantage to this and it is likely to cause buffer underrun problems.

Enable Burn-Proof (Buffer underrun protection) in the Burn dialog and see if it makes a difference.

Burn-Proof IS enabled in Nero, I don’t know why it is indicated as disabled in the Info Tool report…

I have the exact same drive and I’m having the exact same problem with XP. Most of the time it’s fairly random with turning on my PC… Sometimes it boots up with the LED flashing and the drive locked, other timesit works fine. For me it seems to have no correlation with me burning CDs. I can boot up my PC with the drive working fine and not burn a CD, and next time I boot it up or reboot the drive will be locked. I haven’t had any problem with the actual burning process though.

I have the same drive on Windows XP Pro. Nothing wrong with mine, no tray locking, everything works fine. The only problem I have is that an autorun cd won’t autorun if the disc is the first one inserted after power on.

After testing my drive on another system today I found out that it was the drive, and not windows or anything else. I’m bringing my drive back to the shop tomorrow to have it fixed…