Puzzling Results

vbimport

I made a 1:1 copy of Alien Vs Predator 2 about a month ago no problems with my Liteon LTR-24012B using the game profile, I always keep my images I make and today wanted to make another copy.
This would not work for me today suddenly I couldnt make a working copy after I had done so before. After 5 coasters (all reported unreadable sectors) and I would start getting them at 34.57% using Nero CD Speed Scandisk.
I tried using older versions of CloneCD. Im currently using 4.0.1.9, didnt work still, even downgraded my firmware to 5s59 out of desperation, still no joy. I was getting quite annoyed by this stage. (tried Imation, Kodak and TDK media) Also tried them at lower speeds. I tested my image with D-Tools, worked fine, no unreadable sectors. Still puzzled.
So I tried copying the 1:1 copy I made and finally it worked.
What was even more puzzling to me, the 5 coasters I made worked in my Liteon LTD-165 DVD-Rom, but not im my Liteon LTR-24012B, Liteon LTN-526 or Sony CDX-145S.
Im a little confused here.

:confused:

4.0.1.6 & 4.0.1.9 Game CD profiles, with a Liteon, do not work for SecuROM new. Read my posts on WCIII & NWN.

Use a the SecuROM profile for AvP2 or just use data subs on the read (any other device, in fact) and nothing on the write.

A Litey read & write does not work, I afraid

Thanks Futureproof, I read those posts, I tried that SecuROM profile at the time I made my first copy I had some problems that day with the Hide CDR media bug with Liteons. I never tried another reader that day, that didnt work at the time and it worked with the game profile did for me once I figured out the Hide CDR media was the problem and when the Liteon fix came out I tested it on a cdrw. Why did it work then? and not now off the same clone cd image?

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]4.0.1.6 & 4.0.1.9 Game CD profiles, with a Liteon, do not work for SecuROM new. Read my posts on WCIII & NWN.

Use a the SecuROM profile for AvP2 or just use data subs on the read (any other device, in fact) and nothing on the write.

A Litey read & write does not work, I afraid [/B]

Fp, the defaults work ok with the 24102B for securerom new prior to WCIII and NWN. I tested it with die hard nakatomi plaza last week and re-tested empire earth and aliens v predator 2 and they all worked ok. (Of course, with the 24102B as reader/writer you can’t copy WCIII at all, or at least you can’t with clone, and I suspect that the same applies to NWN, but hey!, nothing’s perfect;) .

Mmmmmm…I just suspected and didn’t test - I should have worded that more clearly. Unwrapped my second spindle of 50 yesterday…

Yes, an image read in one version should be able to be written by another but if the tweaking has come undone, for Liteys, since the V4 betas, then it could be explained. Will do AvP2 tonight with default profile…hehe

@Futureproof;

I can partially confirm philambers results. I have sucessfully backed up Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza and AvP2 using a LTR-40125S as the reader and writer with Clone 3.3.4.1.

I read somewhere in the forums that there have been some improvements to SecuROM New which make it more difficult to copy, not that I understand the technical stuff as to how/why. Both AvP2 and DHNP are the ‘old’ versions of SecuROM New [SecuROM V2 (!)], and NWN and WCIII are the ‘new’ SecuROM New [V3]

As I don’t own NWN or WCIII the problem is academic for me at the moment, but the LTR-40125S is the only device I have that is able to read subs! I wonder what will protect the next game I buy…?

Hopefully your next set of test will isolate the problem.

I just tested the Empire Earth ccd image file I have. I used my Sony CDX-145S to make that, it was used with Clonecd 3.3.4.1 last year, I just tested that image with my 24012B and it worked fine. It seems the problem I had with Avp2 is only with my 24012B.

Maybe we should inform LiteOn that their drives have problems with reading subchannel data since they wont copy securom? :slight_smile:

Wrote my AvP2 images with a 24102B 5s07 in v4.0.1.9 default Game CD. Installed OK but they don’t work without D-Tools emulation!

Tested the image and it’s not RAW!

Wrote disc #1 again with data subs only and it needs emulation to run!

I’m an idiot. My image isn’t RAW - I couldn’t have tested it at the time using v3, doh!

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]Wrote my AvP2 images with a 24102B 5s07 in v4.0.1.9 default Game CD. Installed OK but they don’t work without D-Tools emulation!

Tested the image and it’s not RAW!

Wrote disc #1 again with data subs only and it needs emulation to run!

I’m an idiot. My image isn’t RAW - I couldn’t have tested it at the time using v3, doh! [/B]

Now that’s odd since I ran off a copy of AvP2 disc 1 last night using the 24102B as reader/writer with standard profile just to test and it worked fine:confused: . Only diff that I know of is that my firm is 5s54.

My original image doesn’t seem to be RAW. No doubt, SecuROM has been enabled when playing the game. Easy to re-do, but I must check in future!