Puzzle Me This

vbimport

I was looking at puzzles this morn on Youtube and I came across this:

I’m baffled. Anyone know how this can possibly work? :confused:

There is a link to the template so I have got to make one. It looks ultra-easy, just need the measurments.

hmmm…

Anyone else out there who knows some puzzlers like this? Or just plain puzzles?

:bigsmile:

hey gaarry the two big pieces are the same size ,it’s a good ilusion

go back on this thread I started years ago

Nope, look again. No way is the blue as wide as the green.

Here’s an explanation, but I still don’t quite get it:

I was going to make one, but the link to the layout doesn’t work. According to the description, certain things have to be just right, particularly the angle of the triangle. He gives some dimentions, but not enough for me to extrapolate the layout. :sad:

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2712114]Nope, look again. No way is the blue as wide as the green.

Here’s an explanation, but I still don’t quite get it:

I was going to make one, but the link to the layout doesn’t work. According to the description, certain things have to be just right, particularly the angle of the triangle. He gives some dimentions, but not enough for me to extrapolate the layout. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Your right gaarry ,boy what a math night mare isn’t. it.

Really! That explanation the guy gave went right over my head. zoom

Here’s more on that same thing, but still no useable dimentions.

:confused:

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2712116]Really! That explanation the guy gave went right over my head. zoom

Here’s more on that same thing, but still no useable dimentions.

:confused:[/QUOTE]

Here’s another on same thing

This explains how it “works”, but no layout. At least I understand it now.

Yes, I saw that one as well. Here, he explains it:

As for how these work, it seems to come back to an engineering saying: tolerances add up. This crossed my mind early on, but I just couldn’t see it accounting for that “large” empty square. I reckon it does. In that very first one, I noticed that the bottom right pieces seemed to be a bit snug.

Hmmm… interesting.

I still want to find the layout for the first one. I bet you could sell those easy.

Bingo! Got it:

0:06 in is all it took.

Now I got something to make. See ya’ll later.

OK, I made one. I cut it out of the center of a larger piece of cardboard so it would have a rigid frame. When I swap the two larger pieces, they fit perfectly. When I rearrange the “L” pieces, there is the extra square in the center, but also an 1/8" overlap; they don’t fit right. Some “tweaking” is needed.

Here’s another one:

:confused:

Having now made one, I can give the following evaluation:

It IS a trick. It goes back to what I mentioned earlier: TOLERANCES ADD UP. I used to work with real engineers and that’s one of the first things I learned. No matter how it looks, those tolerances are still in there.

The model I made was cut out of a larger square of cardboard, mounted on a thick pasteboard backing. There is 1 1/2" cardboard border. It’s all one piece so it won’t change size.

In the first (original) configuration, naturally, everything fits with no space. On the second configuration, the two larger shapes swapped perfectly, but there was a “minor” problem with the smaller “L” shaped pieces; they didn’t quite fit. 1/8" off - very close, but obviously not an exact fit.

As was shown in one of those illustrations in the links, there are little, long, narrow strips of “tolerance” there (shown in red). First, realize that there MUST be some tolerance there for this to work. Second, realize that the tolerance must be hidden.

On my model, I did this several ways. On some of the edges, I sort of rolled the edges over with a pencil. I did trim off the “L’s” about a very thin toothpick’s worth. Finally, I widened the gap between all pieces by running my pencil down in the groove, which also darkened it and hid any differences.

Now, it works just like the one in the video; it makes people scratch their heads (done made my neighbor scratch his! hehe).

BTW, the explanation where he said the diagonal line was not straight? Wrong. That does not account for the missing square (these are called “Missing Square Puzzles”). Mine was dead straight.