Putting the Metro GUI in perspective - It's more than Windows 8

I just posted the article Putting the Metro GUI in perspective - It’s more than Windows 8.

Learn how the Metro GUI isn’t just developed for Windows, it’s the start of something big, which you’ll appreciate for sure!

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/article/putting-the-metro-gui-in-perspective-its-more-than-windows-8-63513/](http://www.myce.com/article/putting-the-metro-gui-in-perspective-its-more-than-windows-8-63513/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Amen to all that you say. Don’t be afraid of the future - try and embrace it. Remember, the desktop is only one click away, but the more you use the Metro, the less you will need it.

I agree and disagree. An OS designed for a washing machine may not be the best OS to run on a desktop computer.

The problem with windows 8 that I have is that its designed for both desktops and portable devices. However at some point you get stuck with having do things via the Metro interface.

Wouldn’t the future be better if the OS was tailored for the device it was being installed on. What if windows 8 have you the option. You could install the metro version on phones/tablets and touchscreen devices. You could install the desktop version on laptops/desktops.

Just because you design different interfaces to run on difference devices doesn’t mean you can’t have the same meat and potatoes underneath.

I think this article is bunk. The suggestion that an OS interface that works on a laundry machine is good enough for a PC?

Solution: Same processes/software underneath. Different interfaces for different devices.

Like a Window 8 CE operating system?

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2652703]Amen to all that you say. Don’t be afraid of the future - try and embrace it. Remember, the desktop is only one click away, but the more you use the Metro, the less you will need it.[/QUOTE]I fully agree. I have Windows 8 on a desktop and a laptop, and have no shortcuts at all on the desktop. I launch all of my apps (Metro or desktop) from the Start Page (although, I must confess that I do have my email and web browsers on the taskbar along with shortcuts for Computer, Sleep, Shut Down and Control Panel), I also have Office 2013 and have all of my email forwarded to a MSN email account. I can access this account from Outlook.com, Outlook 2013 and my Windows 7.5 phone, and they arways stay in synch with each other (mail, calendar, and tasks). I can even access the email from my Kindle Fire, and the Calendar too (but not the tasks).

What MS doesn’t understand is tht a mouse and/or touchpad is a far more efficient way to interact with a computer than a touch screen. It all comes down to economy of movement. I have an Asus TF300T with a keyboard dock. I use the keyboard for input and pointer manipulation 90% of the time because it is much more efficient than the touch screen. W8 has taken the mouse and touchpad back to the Stone Age regarding efficiency of use. Mouse/touchpad actions should not have to mimick those of a touch screen.

Plus, not having an easy bridge to the UI of the previous software version is just plain stupidity from a marketing aspect. Especially when the new UI is such a radical change from the old one.