Putting multiple movies on dvd

I was just reading through the forums looking for an answer to a question I had and you guys might be able to help me. First and formeost, just out of curiousity, what is VLC? So here’s my dilema/question:

I am looking for a way to put the movies that I have on the hard drive (.avi files) onto dvd. One solution was Nero Vision and another I have come across is WinAvi. With Nero Vision I can put the file onto dvd, but it takes up the whole dvd. So one movie per dvd.

My original gameplan for putting the movies on dvd was this…I can stream the movies from my pc’s hard drive to my xbox so that I can watch them on tv. In doing so, I have the output of the xbox going to my dvd recorder. Through this method, I can put two if not 3 movies per dvd and the quality is sufficient for me. However, using this method ties up my xbox for the movie to play while being recorded as opposed to tying up the pc to burn the dvd while playing my xbox.

With all that said, here’s the question. Can I compress the movie files on the hard drive and put more than one movie on a dvd so that it will play in any dvd player?

Thanks in advance if you can help…

Mike V

I am looking for a way to put the movies that I have on the hard drive (.avi files) onto dvd. One solution was Nero Vision and another I have come across is WinAvi. With Nero Vision I can put the file onto dvd, but it takes up the whole dvd. So one movie per dvd.

My original gameplan for putting the movies on dvd was this…I can stream the movies from my pc’s hard drive to my xbox so that I can watch them on tv. In doing so, I have the output of the xbox going to my dvd recorder. Through this method, I can put two if not 3 movies per dvd and the quality is sufficient for me. However, using this method ties up my xbox for the movie to play while being recorded as opposed to tying up the pc to burn the dvd while playing my xbox.

With all that said, here’s the question. Can I compress the movie files on the hard drive and put more than one movie on a dvd so that it will play in any dvd player?

Mike V

[QUOTE=mpv756;2283904]I am looking for a way to put the movies that I have on the hard drive (.avi files) onto dvd. One solution was Nero Vision and another I have come across is WinAvi. With Nero Vision I can put the file onto dvd, but it takes up the whole dvd. So one movie per dvd.

Mike V[/QUOTE]

Try DVDFlick for a faster transcoding but so-so quality, or AVStoDVD for full on encoding with HCEnc and superb quality, however a lot slower encodfing time (possibly 4 hours)

@mpv756

VLC is a free media player. www.videolan.org

Converting more than one avi file and making a dvd-video out of them depends in part on the running time of the original avi videos. A good conversion program will adjust bitrate and squeeze them onto the dvd, but quality will suffer greatly if you try to put too much onto one single layer dvd.

There are a couple of solutions for this. First would be to buy a dvd player that is capable of playing avi files. If the avi files are encoded in xvid or divx, they will probably work in such a dvd player. All you have to do is burn to a disk as data. The player will allow you to select the particular video you want to watch.

The other solution is to use a double layer dvd. A single layer dvd will be able to handle 2hrs of video that has been converted to fairly good quality mpeg2/dvd format. A double layer can hold roughly twice that, maybe slightly less. It really depends on how low a bitrate/quality you can stand in your conversions. If you decide to use DL dvds, only buy Verbatim brand. They are the only ones reliable enough for us to recommend.

There are several good converter programs that can use multiple avi files as input and produce a finished dvd for you. These three are free to use without restrictions of any kind: DVDFlick, AVStoDVD and FAVC. They can be set to output to either single or double layer dvds.

Edit: I’ve merged your two posts into this one thread. The other one was a slight thread hijack.