Purist way to create cd/dvd images?

Of all the searching I have done in looking for a way to create perfect 1:1 cd/dvd images for every disc I could come across, I haven’t found one. Nero seemed to be working well, but I have found a few discs that it won’t image.

In January before I left for school, I was going to start a thread asking how to do this, but didn’t get around to it. I did have someone tell me though that the best way to do this is from a Linux console. That is all I remember.

Does anyone know anything about accomplishing this from a Linux console or by any other means? I am sure there must be a way to read a disc bit by bit and record it to an image.

It isn’t possible to make a perfect 1:1 image of copy protected cds and dvds. For the main part they are recorded on special media which isn’t available to the public and which have physical characteristics that may be imitated or emulated but which cannot be precisely duplicated.

ahhhh… now that makes sense, I hadn’t thought that the discs might be physically different… thanks for the insight… now everything those people go through to make a backup work doesn’t seem like such nonsense

CloneCD and CloneDVD2

Can´t get much better than that!

:smiley: and :smiley:

clonecd is the closest you can get to a 1:1 backup (for dvds too!) as far as i know.

especially with dual layer it keeps the layer break in the same place, and having a program that handles a layer break well is important for sucessful DL burning.

i don’t usually back up game cds so i’m not sure if there’s a better utility ou tthere for games.

also if you’re backing up audio cds I’m not sure if it actually produces 1:1 but EAC seems to be the ripper of choice for the really picky digital music people as long as your options are set up right.

Not forgetting also Alchohol 120%, which competes with CloneCD, and is just as good.

For audio CDs, there are other issues, some of which are things like main offset correction, gap & index detection, comparison of samples by re-reading or CRC results using a database. dBpowerAmp with it’s advanced version is beginning to improve and has auto main offset correction, which uses a database.

*PS, you were misinformed by Linux lovers (I hope I’m not offending anyone). The OS has nothing to do with making a working copy. It’s the software, drive and or protection that counts.