Purchasing new CPU? Which to get?

vbimport

ok, first off, thanks everyone for the always helpful info and links you always give regarding computer issues…

I have had some people ask me and I also wanted to get into turning vhs into dvd/svcd/vcd type format… home videos, old weddings etc… i figure i could make a few bucks doing this…not as a job, but as a hobby and get some things i have on VHS to video… like for example i have a bunch of martial art training videos on VHS and would love to have them on DVD…i just got into DVD burning and have made a few and am getting versed in Kprobe, dvdshrink, cdclone…as i have dvdxcopy and wanted more control…i have built my cpu in the past (4 years ago)…i have reformatted and often fix friends and families hardware, OS problems…so im somewhat computer literate…I was looking at the AMD type stuff you suggested and came across some comparison sites and many had done tests and the pent 4 3.06 and 3.2 with HT 800mhz FSB bus was top notch and beat them hands down…from what I read…

I came across this gainward hollywood @ Home video recorder with tv tuner video card…and thought it might be what I was looking for to edit and record video from tv, vhs…etc… this is something im not versed on at all…any sites suggestions etc…you got would be greatly appreciated…as I know you know what the deal is… http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-GAIN-110

Its only about 100 bucks and that’s cheaper than some of the video cards I was looking at

So what im thinking is this….get a barebones type set up…case, fan, motherboard, cpu chip pent 4 3.2, 250 gb hard drive…., use the DVD burner pri and CD burner I have secondary, use the extra HD I got as a second, the floppy I have, the modem I have, the mouse and keyboard I have and then get the rest sound card, video card, usb/firewire, Ethernet, media reader/writer, speakers and set them up myself… …and get rebated deals if possible……think that’s too much trouble or what……save me some money maybe?

What about the comparison between these 2…they seem very similar but the price dif is huge http://www.unitedmicro.com/comp_main.htm

Intel P4 3.2GHz 512k PGA 478pin 800MHz FSB Retail Box
Brand: INTEL PENTIUM 4 RETAIL
Price: $293.00

Intel P4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition 478pin 800MHz FSB Retail Box
Brand: INTEL PENTIUM 4 RETAIL
Price: $1043.00

What about motherboards…there seems to be a lot of choices….brands…etc…

What about a serial ATA HD vs just ATA and what about compatibility with the current hard drive I have that I would use as secondary HD (not sure if its SATA or ATA) …cant use SATA as one and ATA as the other right???

After reading all this crap…if you just want to let me figure it out all on my own…that’s cool…if you got the time that’s cool too……

MUCH THANKS…….BK

Do you want a barebone system? If you do then it’s almost impossible to recommend you an ATX/mATX and so on sized motherboard since most are custom designed for barebones.
//Danne

Unless you are some kind of hard core gamer stay away from the P4EE.

For a mobo I would recommend the Abit 875i chipset series.

The IC7-Max2 has an adapter that will allow you to hook up a PATA to a SATA controller.

@ Sorondil
As I mentioned mentioning a mainboard is uselss if he’s going for a barebare system. And btw, if you want more bang for the buck go with SiS655TX which is faster than I875. Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe and Gigabyte 8S655TX Ultra are two excellent boards that are cheap compared to Intel-based ones too.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1930

I really think that you should ditch P4 for A64 (it’s about as expensive) if you’re looking for performance.
//Danne

athlon 64 isn’t always better than the p4.

Honesly you underestimate the power of hyperthreading on everyday performance.

If you multitask alot the p4 is superb. Not saying the athlon 64 is a bad processor but until things are made for and optimized for the chip the p4 beats it out in real world performance (sure you can quote benchmarks but they are synthetic)

Originally posted by LordOberon
[B]athlon 64 isn’t always better than the p4.

Honesly you underestimate the power of hyperthreading on everyday performance.

If you multitask alot the p4 is superb. Not saying the athlon 64 is a bad processor but until things are made for and optimized for the chip the p4 beats it out in real world performance (sure you can quote benchmarks but they are synthetic) [/B]

The problem is that about everything can be proved with statistics. It’s quite easy to show (by benchmarking) that hyperthreading can lead to a 30% performanceloss in software that isn’t suited for it.

As always, there are certain points where A beats B and the other way around. Intel’s SSE2 implementation seems to be a bit faster than AMD’s. Intel has support for the (not widely used yet) SSE3 instruction set, AMD does not. AMD has the 64bit instruction set that can lead to a gigantic performance boost when used properly (check x86-64 Linux, Lame 64 bit version is 51% faster than the 32 bit version on the same hardware!)… and so on and so on.

It comes down to this: for standard desktop use, you won’t notice any difference between the two. The only nice thing that AMD just implemented (and Intel doesn’t have yet) is the Cool’n quiet technology (less noise, less power use).
For gaming, AMD is the king.
For desktop tasks (especially for Adobe product users), Intel is the king.

So if you are into Adobe products and make heavy use of them, I’d go with the P4. Otherwhise, I think AMD is the better choice, as the CPUs are somewhat cheaper and they’ll give you another performanceboost once MS finally releases 64 bit XP…

@ LordOberon

It’s obvious that if you optimize an application for a specific processor family that it may/may not perform worse on others. You rarely find applications written like that though so I don’t really get your point. You’ll always get a tradeoff at some point and that’s when you start looking at the price. For instance, A64 3200+ and P4 3.2Ghz are equally priced here in Sweden and unless you only use software by Adobe it’s quite an obvious choice regarding overall performance.
//Danne

just my personal experience. Most p4 ht processors ive seen have beaten the amd 64 bits hands down in windows xp doing everday stuff. in cpu intensive stuff like a game you can easily alt task out of the game and still be able to use internet explorer (and not feel like your crawling through superglue)

As far as gaming i still see the p4 as better overall just from personal experience (and ive seen/used both of em).

Granted when you work in retail and amd and intel both bend over backwords to give you discounts or promotion for personal use. Price becomes a very small part of the equation.

As far as Amd’s quiet techonology. AMD cpus will litterally fry if you remove the heatsink and turn it on. Intel ones will just lock up till the temperature reduces. (remembers back to the article where someone cooked an egg on an amd processor)

I dont really trust “benchmarks/statistics” because i know they can be skewed (and often are)

one of my personal favorite quotes are

“78% of statistics are made up on the spot”

You’re aware of that P4 probably dispatches as much or even more heat than AMD by now?
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
So basicly what you’re trying to say is that you think that P4 is faster because they “feels” faster? That’s a new way of putting it…
//Danne

feels faster = seems more responsive.

But then again. A good selection of components can change the equation inside your computer dramatically (for instance using memory in dual channel mode give a bigger boost to the p4 than to amd. but then again thats from a “benchmark” so its kinda synthetic)

So many “retail” pc’s have nice fast processors but such cruddy components (ie cheap ram left in single channel mode) or cheap video cards, low quality power supplies, bad cooling. Ive had and built amd systems for people and some of my friends. They turn out to be nice fast systems cause when i build them i dont skimp on things.

Im not saying “Forget amd and buy intel”. Not at all. They both will do the job. Maybe im a bit pro intel but im not anti amd. So many people buy computer components based on the “cheapest price” that isn’t the way i choose components in a computer. I find that route to be an invitation to disaster (just like cheap value ram bought at retail stores)

On the other hand i do think the p4 extreme editions are quite insane for the price point. A few fps in games isn’t worth that much cash.