Purchase decision, old BenQ or old Nec?

I came back after a long absence to discover BenQ DVD drives are basically gone? Yikes!

I’ve had a BenQ DW1620 for nearly 2 years (I think it’s been that long). It’s still burning like the day I bought it, but it’s the only drive I have. I depend on it so much that I decided to consider a second drive as a backup, and now it seems, after searching here, that most of the really great drives we knew a year or two ago are gone, and BenQ is selling out!

I’m not impressed by what I read about the recent drive offerings (one might even say concerned).

What’s a guy to do?

I’ve read that some BenQ DW1655’s are around in re-badged form (pricey, can’t handle rebates), and I find a ‘while supplies last’ deal on a BenQ DW1655 for $42.

At the same store there’s some NEC 3550A’s for $30, and I recall many thought this was a great drive, and some think the NEC’s of that timeframe were reliable for even longer.

My 1620 has been really good to me; as in astonishing. That bends me toward the DW1655 if they still have one.

I’m pinching pennies, though (my son’s in chemo, doing well) so I’m here to ask.

Is the NEC 3550A about as good a purchase as the DW1655?

I have no intention to use the lightscribe feature.

I’ve been burning ProDisc 8x +R’s and TY 8x +R’s, but just picked up 200 TYG02 -R’s (all from Rima). I use (about 20) RiData 4x +RW for some temp data stuff.

Has the focus on Blu-Ray screwed up the market or something?

Why do I read things about most of the newer drives that make me shudder?

The 1655 is easily a better drive overall than the 3550 - NEC hasn’t had what I would personally consider as a great drive since the 3500.

Ah, this is why I come here to ask!

My mind simply thought the 3550a was ‘in the 3500 series’ - but now I understand it’s an entirely different drive than the respected 3500.

Ok, so now I see lots of support for the Pioneer 111D (and it’s derivatives). Is this one of the newer designs that possesses the quality personality of drives in the previous years? I find a 111D at NewEgg for $32.

Then there’s the Philips PHM-165P6S, also about $32.

I’m reading reviews, and I know there’s another ‘choose my drive’ thread active here (yet another one), so my apologies if this has merged into duplication.

I’m trying to tie this back to the satisfaction I’ve had with my old DW1620. I hadn’t realized there are many drives that can’t scan for PIE/PIF errors, jitter, etc. I suppose I was spoiled by the DW1620’s rather good design.

I think we were all spoiled by the BenQ 1620, 1640 series. Those drives will go down as lengendary. The DW 1655 is also in that class, but all three of these drives are becoming so scarce that I fear we will have to defer to the newer chips and drives with chipsets that do not scan as well as the 1600 series drives. Who knows what the future will bring but I hope the Nexperia Chipset is not gone for good. Just my thoughts.

The Pioneer 111D is a very good drive, and it does have scanning capability although it’s very poor and not very useful. The 160P6S and 165P6S are pretty good and have reliable scanning capabilities, although I prefer the Benq 16xx drives. Finding ‘real’ Benq drives is becoming difficult though - look at some of the threads in the first page of the Benq forum for info on where to find one such as ‘Benq drives are vanishing’. Also be aware that there are still a few lesser known retailers online that are listing the 1650 and 1655 but they may not actually be in stock despite listing as in stock.

(Good Luck to your family and your son, hope he fights through that and gets well soon).

Thanks scoobiedoobie; my little guy is 5, and he’s been through a lot and really grew up fast enduring all those needles, the weeks in the hospital, two months where he couldn’t walk - but now it’s as if it never happened. We have nearly 2 years of ‘maintenance’ ahead, but if that ‘holds’ then he’s cured. It’s still expensive though; checkups every week until 2008. Still waiting for his hair to grow back :slight_smile:

alan1476: who would have thought ‘the gold old days’ would be so recent, and quick to fade off?!

I really thought I’d ‘just get another BenQ’.

They, and the good ol’ CRT (which I refuse to part with), fading into the past.

…oops, waited 24 hours…those DW1655’s I saw are gone already. :doh:

Yikes!

Sounds like a tough kid, hope things only get better. :slight_smile:

What site did you see the 1655 on? They show up on rare occasions on Newegg but you need to set up an email alert on there for when they come into stock to have any chance of getting one - about a month ago they came back and I bought one ‘just in case’ my 1640 dies, and they were sold out within minutes.

BTW, I refuse to give up my CRT for a crappy LCD :wink:

The DW1655 was on TigerDirect, for all of a few hours perhaps…

You’re right…I’ve never setup an alert before…

It’s beginning to feel like bidding on e-bay!

> I came back after a long absence to discover
> BenQ DVD drives are basically gone? Yikes!

Same here! Yikes indeed!

> I’ve had a BenQ DW1620 for nearly 2 years
> (I think it’s been that long). It’s still burning
> like the day I bought it, but it’s the only drive
> I have. I depend on it so much that I decided
> to consider a second drive as a backup,

I’m kinda in the same boat - my son wants a DVD burner for the machine I pieced together for him this past spring so I figured I’d pick him up the latest greatest BenQ as they could only get better, right? On top of it, I got to thinking that my BenQ 1620 is a couple years old and has done hundreds, if not over a thousand, burns. It’s still working fine but it’s the only drive I have too so I figured I’d pick two new BenQs up. What a rude awakening I just got!!!

I’m going to search for a couple 1650s or 55s . . . wish me luck!

Bob

I must say, my first BenQ has been nothing but legendary - DW400A - burns still readable but since dead. Then the 1640’s and a 1650 for a friend - nothing but flawless - solidburn also makes trash semi-useful again. I have no hesitation - great as a reader and no “relink spikes” from the NEC. Scanning is great to have - as an insurance policy.