Public vs. private torrent trackers

I often see it said on the internet that private trackers are safer but I don’t understand how that’s so. How can a site where you have your email address registered into it be safer than one where you can download anonymously? Isn’t the only way they can catch you then if they download directly from you, in which case you can use a program like Peer Guardian to prevent that from happening? If they bust a private tracker then the information’s all there & they know who you are & what you’ve downloaded & uploaded :confused:

Well, one of the biggest private trackers around just got taken down the other day and it was invite only. So really neither is safe.

Here’s my question then, a private site logs your email & all your downloads & uploads. If you download from a public site that you’re not registered with like The Pirate Bay do you know if any of your information logged on the site or is it completely anonymous? Because if it were the case that it is anonymous then I believe that the only way that the agents would be able to catch you is if they downloaded from directly you, which their ability to do is supposed to be lessened dramatically if you use a program like Peer Guardian. Whereas if you’re a member of a known private site your information is there & if they bust it you’re caught holding the bag so to speak. Or any tracker that you have to register with in order to use for that matter, whether public or private.

[QUOTE=Sinse Smoka;1917868]Here’s my question then, a private site logs your email & all your downloads & uploads. If you download from a public site that you’re not registered with like The Pirate Bay do you know if any of your information logged on the site or is it completely anonymous? [/QUOTE]

It’s hard to say. The Pirate Bay will most likely log certain things so as to weed out people who submit virus infected files or attacks on the server. So, I would assume they will at least keep logs of your IP IF you’re uploading content.

Because if it were the case that it is anonymous then I believe that the only way that the agents would be able to catch you is if they downloaded from directly you, which their ability to do is supposed to be lessened dramatically if you use a program like Peer Guardian. Whereas if you’re a member of a known private site your information is there & if they bust it you’re caught holding the bag so to speak. Or any tracker that you have to register with in order to use for that matter, whether public or private.

Oh, I’d defiantly say public was the more safe option if you take the proper precautions like you said, using Peer Guardian and related programs. That will only get you so far though, I’m sure the RIAA and other company’s are well aware of programs like Peer Guardian and you can bet they’ll be looking for ways around it.

Neither is 100% safe.

All though IMHO I would say private is better. In a private site things can be monitored a little more. DHT is a must on the to be disabled. Where as on a public it dont matter so anyone and everyone can connect to you.

As far as logging your information does it really matter? :confused: All they have to do is be connected to you long enough to get an ip and the rest is history.

As far as being anonymous. Things like PG can help but how much, but its still no guarentee.

Private sites tend to have better speeds most of the time as well.

But it all comes down to what you wanna do. Public sites anyone and there dog can connect to you. Private sites are a little more limited. And for private sites Im not talking about Demonoid.

You make the call but the only 100% way to be safe is by not downloading anything illeagel.

This should have been made a private poll so you could get others opinions from the ones that dont want to leave a post.