PTP LE on Vista w. PX-810SA

I have always been a dedicated Plextor fan - my previous two PC’s was all-SCSI, and in my old PC I still use UltraPlex PX-32 (CD) and PX-12/10/32TSi (CDR). My first CDR was a Yamaha 4x burner - at that time all burners was with SCSI interface.

My brand new (homebuilt) PC is all-SATA - 2* Seagate ES.2 500GB + 2* PX-810SA on an ASUS PK5-E/WiFi MB with all SATA port configured as AHCI, running Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Together with my PX-810SA’s came PlexTool Pro LE 3.14 - this is not on the Plextool download page (only 3.13).

When I tried PTPLE it felt very unstable, detecting the PX-810’s as USB drives, and sometimes it locked up. Although I did succeed in making an audio CD copy, it didn’t felt rocksolid.

I wonder if this is a Vista problem, AHCI configuration or PTPLE not up to date ?
Any ideas anyone ?

Best regards,
Duelund

(this is my first post on CD-Freaks and English is not my native language, so pardon spelling mistakes)

Welcome to the Forum, Duelund!

PlexTools isn’t the most stable piece of software to begin with and it was developed primarily for use with Plextor designed drives, not rebadges like your 810SA’s.

That said, I wouldn’t use a SATA burner in AHCI mode myself, as they all (except for some newer BD/HD DVD drives maybe) have a legacy SATAI 150MB/s connection. Sure, it can work in AHCI mode in some cases, but the chances to see problems like you do will definitely increase.

Why bother. The 810SA is NOT a REAL Plextor. Most function of PlexTool won’t work on 810SA.

[quote=Duelund;1920365]Together with my PX-810SA’s came PlexTool Pro LE 3.14 - this is not on the Plextool download page (only 3.13).

When I tried PTPLE it felt very unstable, detecting the PX-810’s as USB drives, and sometimes it locked up. Although I did succeed in making an audio CD copy, it didn’t felt rocksolid.

I wonder if this is a Vista problem, AHCI configuration or PTPLE not up to date ?
Any ideas anyone ?[/quote]

I have problems using the Plextools Pro XL 3.13 or LE 3.13 together with the Pioneer DVR-212 or the Plextor PX-810SA in AHCI mode, if the Intel Matrix Storage Driver (IMSD) is installed. The detection always failed. I had to return to the Vista-AHCI-driver to solve the problem. The original Plextors have no problems with IMSD. Maybe you can mail Version 3.14 as a private message. I will test it

I would like to try the same, but Vista doesn’t have drivers for ICH9R (afaik).

Vista has a built-in AHCI-driver, which automatically will be used, if the SATA-Controller is set to AHCI in the Bios. You need the Intel-driver only for creating a RAID.

I have 2 PCs with Boards from Gigabyte. GA-965P-DS3P Rev. 3.3 ICH8R and P35-DS3P Rev. 1.0 ICH9R.

Well, it might work for your boards, but for my ASUS P5K-E board (P35), I had to deliver an Intel driver during installation (known as the F6 driver, but during Vista install you don’t press F6 but click “Add addtional driver” at the “Select Harddisk” screen), else can’t Vista install on the Harddisks. I don’t use RAID, in BIOS the SATA has been set up as AHCI. It has been confirmed by several others at the ASUS forum, that you have to deliver the Intel driver (on this board).