PSU problem. explain voltage values please?

ok i know NOTHIN about power supply ratings. all the the +12v, 3.3v, 5v rails make my head swim.

basically, the readout should be as close to 12, 5, and 3.3 as possible, correct?

i downloaded asusprobe for my computer just to play around and something is bad here.

i know i have a crappy PSU. it came stock on my factory built HP computer 4 and a half years ago. it never caused any problems so i just tried to ignore it.

it’s still not causing problems, but now i’m curious since asusprobe is blinking, beeping, and show red lines on the graph. i assume this isn’t good (DUH) but can someone explain to me how bad it actually is? or point me to a tutorial where this stuff is explained?

i understand that these kinds of things are like ticking timebombs…just because it’s not causing trouble now doesn’t mean it won’t in the future. I consider myself lucky so far. I’m just interested in knowing how much danger I’m actually in.

this is the readout:

crap, i took the screenshot while it was blinking…to the left of the “+12V” it should say “8.231”

I’m not an expert in these things too, but it seems that your PSU don’t give enough power to the CPU.

It shouldn’t be a dangerous thing, because the only “side-effect” should be that your CPU is under-clocked (the opposite of over-clocking).

But I’d buy soon a better PSU.

i’m torn because i don’t want to put any money into this sytem, but i also don’t want something to happen that might ruin my burners or my hard drives.

any simple tutorials that explain what a +12V value is and what it affects?

my main concern is something shorting out and damaging components. are you saying that you on’t think this is a risk?

If you buy a new PSU this could be reused in your new computer. Obviously if you plan to buy each hardware component and assembly by yourself.

Is there a Hardware Monitor section in the BIOS to confirm this 12V reading, reasons? I’d say it’s a miracle your machine runs at all if this is correct. AFAIK HD’s and ODD’s also need 12V.

Yo RnR-

Geno has a very good point - using it in a future computer-

Please be sure to measure the current psu carefully [B]before[/B] buying the new one-eh!

400 to 500 watt - dual 12v rail - active pfc - sata and pc-ie connections should all come with the unit - and Newegg at www.newegg.com is probably the best place to buy-eh!

Yo RnR-

After reading some about [B]Asus Probe[/B] and the many false readings - and the fact that your computer works - lends credence to Cressidas remarks above-

Me - I would wait and see (especially since you are unemployed ATM) and do a new power supply if needed-eh!

in regards to false readings, everest home eidtion also reports roughly the same value (8.something)

let me check the bios really quick.

i never bothered to check what my PSU was until about a month ago and since then it’s sort of been nagging at me to look into it…haha i’m even embarrassed to report that the PSU that came with my comp is 200 watts so the statement that it’s a miracle it works is probably true.

Yo RnR-

You may want to look at a program called “Speed Fan” free at www.almicro.com - it will report your voltages too-eh!

Doesn’t one of the men in the house have a (digital) multimeter, reasons? In that case take one of the unused Molex connectors (see sketch) and put the black (-) probe in the hole with the black wire, right next to the hole with the yellow wire, where you put the red (+) probe. Set the meter to a suitable DC voltage range obviously. Similarly, you can check for 5V between the red and black wires on the other side. This PSU will only have one 12V rail, so whatever you measure there will be going to the CPU as well.

BTW, I’d rather have a 200W “OEM for HP” PSU than a no-name retail unit that claims to be 300 or 350W. Suggest you blow it through with some real compressed air (50-60psi, not much more), not some weeny canned air thing, to get out the dust and make it cool properly.

I Agree, use a multimeter to measure.

Whit the current power you show if the system go on is a miracle whitout any damage.

In alternative try to use MBM.

1. ok i don’t have a multimeter, but i’ll look into it.

2. the inside of my tower is very clean. spraying everythign otu with compressed air isn’t an issue. Everything runs at normal temps veen with 2 seagate barracude drives inside.

3. what the heck is MBM

Mother Board Monitor. Is a software free.

Try google search :wink:

i did google and came up with motor boats monthly…not very helpful

i couldn’t google properly google it until you gave me a software name!

LInk:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ :wink:

And exuse for my english.

The reporting from some motherboards can be so inaccurate as to be useless.

If the 12v really was below 9v, then I’d say the system would already have shut down or crashed.