PSU Fan problems

I found out that my PSU’s fan runs at really low speed. I opened the PSU and found out that the fan connector is connected to the PSU’s board. Why PSU fans run at a slow speed ?

It is possible to connect the fan to the molex connectors so that the fan gets enough power suppy. Will the PSU starts if the fan is not connected to the PSU’s board ?

I owns a MEC 300watt ATX PSU.

The fan is connected to the board cuz the PSU controls the fan speed according to the temperature in the PSU. If the PSU is not under load it doesn’t get as hot as under load. Lower speed= less noise. If it gets hot the fan speed should pickup.

You can hook it to the molex connector if you want , if PSU doesn’t start you know why…but it should start at least mine does:) I don’t have mine that way but tested too see…

Antec 480 True Power

what is the speed? Does the mobo say?
Mine runs about 1600 - 1700 RPM with asus Qfan on mobo.

Same here, about 1600-1700 RPM with an Enermax 550w. PSU fans don’t need to spin nearly as fast as CPU fans do, if it’s around 1500 RPM (give or take a bit depending on size) it’s fine.

Do you think connecting the PSU fan to
the molex connector is a better idea ?

Will it lower down the PSU’s temp if the fan reaches high speed ?

I would leave it as is. If you did use the molex connector you would lose all fan monitoring capabilities that you may now have and the only thing you might gain is added noise.

It’s cool (pun intended) that you think in these terms of trying to improve the cooling of your PSU. The PSU is without question the most important piece of HW in your comp , it’s also the most over looked by most people.

A good PSU is set up to run as intended so I would leave as is…but if your looking to improve the cooling then look into adding an extra fan to the PSU…connected to the molex connector of coarse :slight_smile:

Recently, my PSU starts making noise when I start the computer. This happens especially when the PSU is cold. After a while the sound will stop and it is irritating. I think the PSU is still under warranty. Do you think it is a good idea to change my PSU ?

Do you have dogs and cats in your house :wink:

Could be dirt on that poor fan. I blow air in mine every few months, it’s amzing how much junk accumulates in there.

Another reason (if it’s squeeky) would be worn sleeve bearings on the fan motor (Cheap PSU?)

HTH.

Originally posted by liteonmania
Recently, my PSU starts making noise when I start the computer. This happens especially when the PSU is cold. After a while the sound will stop and it is irritating. I think the PSU is still under warranty. Do you think it is a good idea to change my PSU ?

I think 83bj60 is absolutely right. I’ve run across this issue before. If blowing it out with compressed air doesn’t work, you could either try for a warranty replacement of the whole PSU unit, or attempt to replace the fan yourself. I’ve done the later several times. If you do choose to replace the fan, I’d recommend going for a ball bearing type, rather then a sleeve bearing type. Ball bearing design has a longer service life, and lasts longer under higher temps. They tend to be somewhat noisier, however.

Hi all!

About 15 minutes ago I turned my computer on and I noticed a strage sound was comming from the computer I had a look inside and noticed my PSU fan was running very slowly now this problem only happend for about 30 seconds then it was running perfectly fine. I switched the pc off about 5 minutes later and turned it back on and everything was fine :confused: So what I’m really trying to ask is, Should I be worried? Whats the worst that can happen? And would it be a good idea to leave my case open for a little while incase it was dust that caused the issue?

P.S

I’m not sure if you really need this information but I’m running a Hytec Tough Power Silent 600, Yes I know this is not a high quality brand.

1. You jumped onto a 6 year old thread belonging to liteonmania…always start your own thread for better focus on your issue.

2. On your issue, it sounds like you have a fan bearing/bushing that is failing.
    The fan will eventually seize and you computer will auto-shutdown to save itself from overheating and killing the CPU.
    That is, [B]hopefully[/B], it would shutdown in time.

So, change out thet HSF (HeatSink/Fan) as soon as possible.
Post back with any questions on how to [B]properly install a HSF[/B] and which one to select.

[QUOTE=jflan;2157604]So, change out thet HSF (HeatSink/Fan) as soon as possible.
Post back with any questions on how to [B]properly install a HSF[/B] and which one to select.[/QUOTE]

he was referring to his PSU fan not heatsink fan, oh wise one!

[QUOTE=pip22;2157756]he was referring to his PSU fan not heatsink fan, oh wise one![/QUOTE]
You’re right, PSU :bigsmile:

Anyway QuickfleX1990, forget the CPU babble above except for that part about the fan bushing/bearing. Fan bushings collect dust and otherwise wear out and display the symptom you describe.
A technician might try cleaning/lubing the fan bushing or replacing the fan, but that would require opening the power supply.
Opening a power supply is not recommended for end users without special training (safety concerns). Also if the PS is still under warranty, that warranty is void as soon as the seal is broken.

One possible exception, if you can access the fan in question by merely removing a fan grille you could try lubing the bushing.You may have to remove a hub sticker. Use a drop of very light oil like a fishing reel/sewing machine oil.

If you are sure that it is indeed the PS fan, then I would replace the PS, especially if it’s high-milege or a low-end unit.

When the PSU fan dies, what happens next is a matter of luck or quality.

A quality PSU may have either a fan fail shutdown, or overheat protection which will power down the system as the PSU overheats.

A low quality PSU will cook, and burn out, possibly passing overvoltage to the system just before it fails completely - some models are notorious for taking the motherboard with them when they go.

Do not ignore a failing PSU fan - strictly speaking, they are non-servicable units, but so long as you are sure to unplug and be wary of possibly still charged capacitors, opening up and changing the fan is possible (I generally cut and join the new wires to the old, rather than trying to get to the board).

Also, do not confuse normal thermostatic low speed fan operation, with sticking - a simple test (with power off) is to reach through the grille with a thin object and try to flick the fan (this does need care) - if the fan does not spin freely, then it is bad.

Alternatively, take the opportunity to replace the PSU with a better one, ideally an 80-plus efficiency.

Replace the whole PSU is my advice. Apart from being safer it allows you to upgrade to a more powerful one (higher wattage). Once the PSU fan starts sticking you really can’t trust it to spin up properly anymore even if you do lubricate the bush. A new PSU doesn’t cost a small fortune so a faulty one isn’t worth trying to fix.

Thanks for all the help guys! One quick question this only happend once should I still go out and buy a new psu?

If so which one should I buy? I did use Thermaltake prior to this one.

When I first bought this computer it came with high quality hardware but after a while I needed to upgrade so I did end up removing my PSU, GPU, RAM for more generic brands.

Should I see to replacing all of these? I’m currently in good standing with money. ( The parts installed are a 9800GT, 4GB of RAM and I have already talked about the PSU )

[QUOTE=QuickfleX1990;2158077]Thanks for all the help guys! One quick question this only happend once should I still go out and buy a new psu?[/QUOTE]
Make sure it is the PSU fan that you heard. Typically a small diameter, high speed fan such as a GPU fan or a Northbridge fan will be the first to fail, so verify it’s not one of those.
If your PS supplies a fan RPM signal you could monitor that.
A free app called SpeedFan monitors the voltage output of your power supply and fan speeds.

If so which one should I buy? I did use Thermaltake prior to this one.
TT would not on my list although there are a couple models in their ToughPower series that tested OK.
I would look at SeaSonic, Enermax, Corsair, etc for a reliable PS
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews

When I first bought this computer it came with high quality hardware but after a while I needed to upgrade so I did end up removing my PSU, GPU, RAM for more generic brands.

Should I see to replacing all of these? I’m currently in good standing with money. ( The parts installed are a 9800GT, 4GB of RAM and I have already talked about the PSU )

Sounds like you have a nice rig as it is…suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

Seasonic or Corsair HX-series (also made by Seasonic) :slight_smile:
//Danne

Well when I removed the case I am certain I noticed my PSU fan running very slowly. Sorry for this next question but where is the north bridge located? I’m not very well trained in computers I only know some basics.

I dont think I have a fan located there anyway, I only have fans on my PSU, GPU, CPU and a back fan.

This is the PSU inside my pc, Tell me what you think about it. (Do you find it to be of good quality, performance? I ask this because I’m not sure if I should really replace any hardware unless the problem comes back.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hytec-600W-Quiet-ATX-Case-120mm-Fan-Tough-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ270301702700QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270301702700&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318