PSU and Video Card Upgrade

vbimport

My computer is a Gateway GT5428 which has the integrated Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 950. I want to upgrade to a stand alone video card in the extra PCI slot. I’m willing to upgrade the PSU to increase available video cards. Had this one in mind:

RAIDMAX RX-500S 500W ATX12V Power Supply

I need to know what the maximum video card is with that PSU installed. 512MB, 1GB, 1.5GB? What’s the limiting factor, the PSU, the motherboard, the RAM (my pc is upgraded to 3GB RAM), etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Most video cards will tell you the recommended size of PSU needed.

I run GTX460’s with 500W PSU’s and have had no trouble yet, if that helps you.
It will also be determined by what else you are running.

[QUOTE=advxc153;2583998]My computer is a Gateway GT5428 which has the integrated Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 950. I want to upgrade to a stand alone video card in the extra PCI slot. I’m willing to upgrade the PSU to increase available video cards. Had this one in mind:

RAIDMAX RX-500S 500W ATX12V Power Supply

I need to know what the maximum video card is with that PSU installed. 512MB, 1GB, 1.5GB? What’s the limiting factor, the PSU, the motherboard, the RAM (my pc is upgraded to 3GB RAM), etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks![/QUOTE]

So just to point out the amount of RAM a video card uses has little to do with how much power the card uses. Also it would be great if you have not purchased the Raidmax PSU yet, because its not considered a quality PSU.

If you let us know how much your able to spend total between the PSU and video card we can help you pick good components to go with.

According to the specs of your computer it currently has a 300W PSU and I do not see anything that would require a higher wattage unit other than your Video upgrade.

Most cards will list PSU requirements for the card so you can go by that or go on line and use a PSU calculator by plugging in your components and plus the card you are going to pickup and see what is recommended.

As said above you might want to take a look at higher quality untis such as those by Seasonic, Enermax, NZXT, Corsair to name a few.

It looks like the OP already bought the Raidmax (too bad :wink: )and a GTX570 (posted in another thread).