PSP Go receives $50 price cut

vbimport

I just posted the article PSP Go receives $50 price cut.

The Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) Go mobile gaming device received a $50 price cut in the United States, as Sony looks to battle Nintendo and Microsoft this holiday shopping season. Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon.com, GameStop, and four other retailers cut the PSP Go price from $249 down to $199.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/psp-go-receives-50-price-cut-from-most-vendors-35862/](http://www.myce.com/news/psp-go-receives-50-price-cut-from-most-vendors-35862/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Perhaps after 3 more $50 price cuts i will consider replacing my ye olde PSP 1000 for this thingy, but i still doubt it.

Yeah I think I’ll run out and get one of those… NOT!

Anyone ever try to hold that thing to compare it against the PSP 1000-3000?

It’s an ergonomic nightmare. This is a gaming device that you could spend hours holding it madly pressing buttons. It is completely uncomfortable in an adult sized hand (which is maybe the point I guess). I understand that Sony wanted a smaller form factor for the PSP since it’s competing with the DSi but Nintendo did the opposite and made the DS XL which is much larger and was wildly successful.

It adds no screen resolution upgrade, no additional support for games say from the PS2 catalog (I can play converted PSOne games on my PSP but not PS2 games) and no major functionality difference from the PSP 1000-3000.

Add to the ergonomic concerns and lack of technology update, a new inability to have a personal copy of your game as the PSP Go does not have a UMD drive. If it’s one thing I can’t stand it’s Sony’s penchant for wanting to force system updates down your throat on their consoles. I hold my breath and pray that the latest update doesn’t brick my PS3 or PSP. Now with the PSP Go, add to this fear that you can only have 16 GB worth of games (a full size game is about 2gb uncompressed) and they are only stored (encrypted) on the internal storage. If you brick it, you lose everything you bought with no backup. No thanks $ony.

I reduced the stress in my life regarding my PSP 1000. I put custom firmware on it, used that to copy all my UMD’s to a digital ISO format, bought a microsdhc to memory stick converter (for 1$) and put a 16gb microsdhc card in it to store all the ones I want to carry around with me (Sony Memory stick Pro Duo cards are ridiculously expensive). If something messes up, I can restore the digital copy or just pop in the UMD.

Sony couldn’t give me the PSP Go for free to give up that versatility. They really bombed with this product. They should rename it to the ‘PSP Go Away’

[QUOTE=penguin_head;2552887] Sony couldn’t give me the PSP Go for free to give up that versatility. They really bombed with this product. They should rename it to the ‘PSP Go Away’[/QUOTE]

PSP is a crap console anyway - My cousin has one and although graphics are about as good as PS2, sound is decent and stuff like that, it really blows to have a console which takes an eternity to boot, forever to turn on, slow down and scraping of the discs.

The UMD format is a big mickey taker. Hidden away in a plastic shell - Not to keep it preserved, how about an anti-copying technique? are you seriously wanting me to buy films on it? No thankyou, I’d rather save some wonga and rip my DVDs to my computer and onto the PSP.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2553436]PSP is a crap console anyway - My cousin has one and although graphics are about as good as PS2, sound is decent and stuff like that, it really blows to have a console which takes an eternity to boot, forever to turn on, slow down and scraping of the discs.

The UMD format is a big mickey taker. Hidden away in a plastic shell - Not to keep it preserved, how about an anti-copying technique? are you seriously wanting me to buy films on it? No thankyou, I’d rather save some wonga and rip my DVDs to my computer and onto the PSP.[/QUOTE]

CFW can get rid of a lot of the bad things about the PSP. Especially the UMD issue. I removed my UMD drive, and in it’s place put a few large capacity flash disks. I have a memory stick interface connected to the flash disks where I can store all my own game ISO’s and videos. I have one PSP that I use for ripping my UMD’s but my main one has been modded such that it’s a fantastic personal media player and of course gaming platform. I am doing so much more with the PSP than Sony ever intended. It is far more useful than you think. I have GPS module for it and also use it as a GPS navigator in my car. It just blows me away how good that platform was once it was freed from it’s corporate shackles.