I just replaced my old black PSP 1000 cover with a shiny red one! And it still works!
It’s still crappy here and there (because this PSP has been bought when they were just out and it also has had some nasty eperiences with gravity), but it’s a nice replacement over the old scratchy cover. Took me about 4 hours to get all components out and back into the new cover. The new cover was an el-cheapo from China, so it doesn’t fit that well, but more than enough for my purposes.
I used this tutorial to aid me in the process.
Bit of advice: This is pretty difficult if you don’t take your time for it.
Next project: A pink DS for the missus.