PS3 wireless won't stay working

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony PlayStation 3, 20GB. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, first time writer to forum. Bought PS3 day after “black Friday”. Love the box & Blueray’s phenomenal. Even upconversion of DVD’s looks good. Not a big “gamer”, but no big deal. Problem I’m having is since I got it, I can only access the browser via wireless about 50% of the time (poss less). I’ve been on the phone w/ Sony 8x and ATT 9x. Both have been helpful. ATT even advised a change from 2.4 ghz wireless phones to Dect 6.0 stating it could cause “interference”. No change. Was on the phone yesterday w/ ATT “tier 3” who wanted to charge me $39.00 just for help. Guess he felt bad after looking over my file/history. Reception from the Uverse (2 Wire) router upstairs normally runs about 85-90% to the PS3 downstairs so I don’t think it’s reception now. After “tier 3” got it working (no SSID used & 2 hrs later), I was browser for 1.5 hrs. Last night, nothing. What can I do to get this running? Never have probs w/ wirless laptop. Driving me nuts!

Have you tried Manual IP settings, ie set the IP Address, Subnet, DNS etc manually?

Yes, I’ve done that (thanks). Learned yesterday afternoon about adding Linksys or Netgear “power line adapter” to each AC plug nearest the respective devices (PS3 & Uverse “2 Wire” box) which is the principle box for all the Uverse digital converters in my home. AT&T insists on testing my home & adding a new box, so they’re visiting me New Years day. Seems that things such as refrigerator and/or air conditioner or microwave turning on potentially cause small surges that impact the PS3 (including some reception issues). I read quite a bit last night re: pros of p-line adapters. Ever heard of them before? I never heard of them until yesterday. Happy New Year to you & yours.

[QUOTE=Ronster64;2185802]Yes, I’ve done that (thanks). Learned yesterday afternoon about adding Linksys or Netgear “power line adapter” to each AC plug nearest the respective devices (PS3 & Uverse “2 Wire” box) which is the principle box for all the Uverse digital converters in my home. AT&T insists on testing my home & adding a new box, so they’re visiting me New Years day. Seems that things such as refrigerator and/or air conditioner or microwave turning on potentially cause small surges that impact the PS3 (including some reception issues). I read quite a bit last night re: pros of p-line adapters. Ever heard of them before? I never heard of them until yesterday. Happy New Year to you & yours.[/QUOTE]
The power line adapters filter the power and allow basic (slow) ethernet over your power lines around the house.

If your fridge, and microwave are causing enough electromagnetic noise to cause disturbance, I doubt that the Power line ethernet adapters will do you many favours - the EOP adapters will get a good healthy extra strong dose of it.

Try changing the frequency that your Wifi is set to … aka, if it’s 6 (most common), try frequency band 1, or 11 (or 13 in Oz :smiley: )

Also, you can try using a longer pre-amble which will slightly decrease your speed, but increase the range/reliability (if that’s the problem).

Otherwise it might be time for directional antenna’s … Yay!

A common problem (for people in multi-story apartment buildings) is that yokels from next door buying 108Mb/s bandwidth hogging wifi routers, or even just too many people using Wifi. If it’s cyclical, it could just be the neighbours coming home, and browsing the intarweb, and they have higher powered Wifi devices which are downing yours out.