PS3 VOB passthrough as default?

Just trying DVDfab 5.1.0.0 for the first time, and it seems to be able to do something I’ve been looking for for ages.

I want to convert alot of my DVD to mpgs, but also split them up into episodes for those like House/24/Battlestar etc. DVDFab does that with this new vob passthrough option, and keeps the 5.1 sound (no quality loss of video either) .

However everytime I scan a new CD, it defaults to converting it to MP4, and I have to go into each track to switch to VOB passthrough. Is there a way that VOB passthrough can be made the default selection?

Yes, you can. However, the question is how you are getting the files to the PS3. If you are steaming them to the PS3 via a Tversity, WMP11, or something similar then you should instead use the VOB device which will keep large movies all in one file. There is only one profile under the VOB device so no default is required.

If you are transferring to a portable hard drive (FAT32) and need the 4GB file splitting feature of the PS3 Vob Passthrough then you will need to copy and set the profile as default manually since DVDFab disables the “Set as Default” button on VOB profiles (for some unknown reason).

[ul]
[li]The file you are looking for is called “ps3.vob.passthrough.xml” and can usually be found in C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\Profiles.[/li][li]Right click on the file an select copy then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings<Your User Name>\Application Data\DVDFab\profiles and paste the file.[/li][li]Rename the new file to “ps3.default.xml”.[/li][li]Edit the file with notepad and change the value on the first line from tag=“dvdfab” to tag=“dvdfab,default”.[/li][li]Restart DVDFab[/li][/ul]

Download the attached file and change the suffix to xml from txt. Save the file in the Program Files/DVDFab5/Profiles folder. Follow the instructions in the Tutorial for installing new devices. This will give you a PS3/VOB button in the sidebar navigation pane. If you close DVDFab with the new icon selected, it will always open there.

Instructions: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsCustomizeUI

ps3VOB.passthrough.txt (325 Bytes)

Wow, thanks for the fast and detailed answers guys. I’ll give that a go shortly.

I’m putting these files directly on a 4TB Drobo which is connected to my Windows 2003 server running TwonkyMedia, and Gb Ethernet to the PS3 downstairs. The VOB files I’ve converted so far have worked very well. I notice the inclusion of the .idx file which is created automatically, allows the PS3 to work out the length of the file (with some exceptions for larger files).

I’ll give an update in a sec, once I’ve made the changes mentioned here.

Ok I’ve imported the XML profile and its working like a dream.

I have 2 more questions if I may.

1. What is the correct syntax when editing the XML to default the split to “no split” rather than 4GB. Currently it says:
    <file format=“vob” onefile_size_mb=“4096” />

2. Not something I need, but someone at work who I’ve told about this program would like their DVD rips with mutiple episodes, to end up in a single VOB (1 VOB per whole disk). Is there a way of outputting multiple selections as a single vob?

In that case you didn’t need the custom profile. Just use the VOB device in DVDFab. Otherwise, change the custom syntax to :
<file format=“vob” onefile_size_mb=“0” />

DVDFab reads and parses input based on the IFO files (i.e. not on a file basis). So unless the original has a Title that includes all the episodes (“Play All”) there is no way to get them into a single VOB within DVDFab. This line:
<file format=“vob” onefile_size_mb=“0” />
will put all of a title in a single VOB, I think without any size limit. It will default to No Split but the split options will still be available. I have used it up to about 8GB.

//EDIT// Complication and I were typing at the same time. He is correct that the “regular” VOB Passthrough will do what your friend wants. It can also be installed as a device with its own button for easy access.

[QUOTE=Complication;2140496]In that case you didn’t need the custom profile. Just use the VOB device in DVDFab. Otherwise, change the custom syntax to :
<file format=“vob” onefile_size_mb=“0” />[/QUOTE]

I’ll probably be embarrased by my stupidity in not understanding this…but how do I use the “VOB device in DVDFab”? Where is this option/profile selected?

For my PS3, I have been ripping the DVD as “Main Movie” and then using VOBMerge to put the VOBs into one file. Your message seems to indicate that there is a way/profile to create a single VOB automatically. I use Twonky to stream from my Buffalo Terastation Live to the PS3.

BTW: It appears that the new PS3 2.50 firmware lets you sequence multiple VOBs together so that it will not be necessary to merge into one VOB…although I think I would still like to do it.

Thank you for your help.

[QUOTE=jfourman;2142746]I’ll probably be embarrased by my stupidity in not understanding this…but how do I use the “VOB device in DVDFab”? Where is this option/profile selected?

For my PS3, I have been ripping the DVD as “Main Movie” and then using VOBMerge to put the VOBs into one file. Your message seems to indicate that there is a way/profile to create a single VOB automatically. I use Twonky to stream from my Buffalo Terastation Live to the PS3.

BTW: It appears that the new PS3 2.50 firmware lets you sequence multiple VOBs together so that it will not be necessary to merge into one VOB…although I think I would still like to do it.

Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

Never mind. I should have done some more digging before asking the question. I figured it out from the great answers above.

Thank you.

Here’s another way to get a permanent vob button under “DVD to Mobile”:

1. Go to Common Settings (click the green circle icon with the check mark in the title bar).
  2. Go to General -> Customize UI.
  3. Go to the “Options Group” drop down box and choose “DVD to Mobile”.
  4. Go to “New” button under “Option”
  5. The “Option Attributes” box opens up.
  6. Go to the “Mobile Device” drop down box and choose “vob”. Click the “OK” button.
  7. “vob” should now be under “Available Options”.
  8. Select “vob” and then click the “>>” button.
  9. “vob” should now be under “Options to Display”.
  10. Click the “OK” button.
  11. It will say “You need to restart DVDFab to apply the changed settings. Would you like to restart DVDFab now?”
  12. Click the “Yes” button.
  13. When DVDFab restarts, you will now have a vob button under “DVD to Mobile”.