PS3 Resolution Issue

vbimport

I’ve been, quite unsuccessfully, trying to convert my DVD’s to PS3 MP4 format using DVDFab Platinum for a week or so now and I think I’ve come up with something that may be causing some issues with whether or not videos will play properly on the PS3.

As it turns out, PS3 is pretty finicky about codecs and resolutions, the latter being my biggest issue with using DVDFab. It would seem that while the codecs DVDFab uses for PS3 files are fine, the resolution options available from the list of sizes aren’t. PS3 requires, I think, that both width and height be divisible by 16. When converting to PS3, especially if you crop the movie, the resolutions available don’t always have sizes divisible by 16, resulting in files that have working audio, but the video won’t play on the PS3. The files work fine on the PC, but not the Playstation.

Just for reference, I’ve also been testing the program FairUse for converting to PS3, and no matter if you crop or not, the resolutions it provides are always divisible by 16, and the files seem to always play on the PS3. It does this by either increasing or decreasing the width or hight automatically, regardless of how you crop, so that the numbers work out correctly. While FairUse is great overall, I’d still rather use DVDFab just for it’s ease of use and that it actually seems to encode to .mp4 a little faster. However, without constantly tweaking the cropping of my movies to work out a usable resolution, it’s ease of use takes a hit.

So, anyway, sorry for such a long post, but I thought maybe the devs would want to look into this to see if there’s something that can be done about it. Otherwise, I really enjoy DVDFab.

Or you could always tweak the profile you are using with the resolutions that you have worked out that work and post your results here so that other forum members can benefit.

Well, since the cropping for different movies isn’t always the same, it’s not really like I have a standard crop and resolution I can use.

Hello dragon457,

I’m curious how you have your PS3 set up. What are the display settings and how is it connected to your TV, HDMI or composite or what? I just picked a resolution that was not divisible by 16 ( height ) 848x478 and it played on mine. Nor is mine all that picky, it will play DivX,mp3,mp4,AVC and just about anything else. Maybe we can figure this out?

I’m using standard definition on my PS3, through the RCA cables that came with the system. I haven’t yet upgraded to an HDTV, so I don’t have need for HDMI cables yet.

The thing is, encoded videos with DVDFab seem to be hit or miss. One time, I’ll encode a movie and it’ll work. I’ll try it again, and I’ll only get sound. Maybe it’s not the “divisible by 16” thing, but it’s the only thing left I can theorize to be the issue. On the flip side, I have yet to encode a movie with FairUse that didn’t work. No matter if I use XviD, DivX, or the PS3 profile it has built in, the videos always work perfectly.

Sounds like you’ve got figured out until you upgrade your TV, I’m not sure what having the PS3 set to 480i will or won’t do, but I’ll check it out.

Well, I thought of that at first, too, that maybe the resolution the PS3 was set to might affect it, but I’ve downloaded movie trailers from the PSN that were 720 and 1080p, and they played just fine, so I don’t think what resolution the PS3 is set to has any effect on what it can play. Not only that, but, just to give an example, I’ve converted Star Wars Episode 1 using the PS3 option in DVDFab, using the 736x*** resolution, and it didn’t work, then encoded Episode 2 with the same settings and it DID work. Tried it again, and it didn’t work for either. I must have encoded my Star Wars movies a dozen times already, and sometimes they play, but more often than not, they didn’t. As I’ve said before, the audio would come through, but the video didn’t.

It’s very perplexing. I’m still using my trial period of DVDFab, so it’s not like I’ve wasted any money yet, but if I can’t get it work then I don’t see myself buying it. My whole reason for trying Fab was to convert my DVD collection to AVC for PS3.

I found this in the manual:

Hints
The cable required to output a particular video mode may not be included with the product and additional purchases may be necessary. For details, refer to the documentation supplied with your system.
If the video output settings do not match those required for the TV in use, the screen may go blank when the resolution is changed. The screen should, however, automatically go back to its original resolution after a while. If the screen remains blank for more than 30 seconds, turn off the system. Then touch the power button on the system front for at least five seconds to turn the system on again. The video output settings will automatically be reset to the standard resolution. If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.
Copyright-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard.

This might explain the blank screen. Check the manual, it does seem to matter how it is set up and connected, but according to the manual it should revert to 480i. If not turn it off and back on - maybe?

I see what you’re getting at, but the output resolution of the PS3 doesn’t change on the fly; you have to manually set it. Not only that, but it’s not like the screen stays black after I stop the video. Once I press the “O” button on the controller, which is what backs out of video, the XMB displays as normal. The situation described in the directions you posted is when you manually set the output resolution to something the TV can’t handle, not when playing a video with a higher resolution than the TV.

For an example, I’ve downloaded movie trailers in HD, both 720 and 1080 AVC format, and they play great. The PS3 simply scales the video to fit whatever format TV you’re using. However, if the video itself breaks any of the rules Sony put forth in what the PS3 will play, well, that’s where my issue of no video come up. Playing the videos encoded with Fab have never resulted in having to reset anything, because it doesn’t actually try to change the output resolution.

I’m having a similar (or maybe the same) issue with mp4’s created with DVDfab.

My PS3 is connected HDMI to a Sony 40V3000 LCD. They sync with one-another and both run at 1080p by default - I could change that but why would I?

Anyway, I’ve been playing Xvid’s so far and things work fine for the most part although I don’t think the PS3 is upconverting the Xvids. The other day I decided to try DVDfab because there is a specific “mode” for outputting to PS3. It creates a mp4 file (h.264 + aac) and I noticed that the default resolution for the file is much higher than your typical Xvid.

My expectation was that this would be a better quality play on the PS3. Well, I get good audio but no video. I did 6 different movies and all are the same. Waiting 30 seconds, resetting, changing resolutions, etc don’t correct things.

Anyone know what’s wrong? I know I could just stick with Xvid but I think mp4 will be better if I can make them work.

yzas, what settings are you using to make the mp4? I’ll try to reproduce it and see what happens. Also how are you getting it to the PS3 burn it to a dvd, thumb drive or what?

Thanks. I used the defaults for the PS3 profile…didn’t want to mess with things that I know so little about.

Bee Movie
848x474
0.0085 bits/pixel
Fast encoding (1-pass)
fixed bitrate (1024)
framerate 29.97
Audio bitrate 96

I’ve tried streaming via Tversity
External drive through USB
And copying it to PS3 internal drive and playing from there.

Same results all three ways. PS3 identifies it as a video and plays but I only get sound.

yzas, in the interest of time I did Mater and the ghost light a 7 min. short off of the Cars DVD @ 848x478. It looks and sounds great! I just don’t get it. I did I am legend just a day or two ago and it works.

Have you updated the firmware to 2.2 yet? It may not help but you can now have subtitles on DivX so it may do other things to the video?

do have 2.20. I did find something odd in my DVDfab settings though.

When I select the PS3 option and get to the “configure” page, at the top, next to the “Set as Default” button, there is a drop down box with two options:

“ps3.default” and “PlayStation 3”. On my other PC, the only option is “PlayStation 3”. I’m not sure where the “ps3.default” came from but it is the one that is selected by default and it has very different settings from “PlayStation 3”.

All of my problem videos were created using “ps3.default” because that is what the software defaulted to - again, I’m not sure where that came.

Anyway, I’m trying again using “PlayStation 3” which appears to be what the default is supposed to be.

If you press the "set as default " button it will create that default selection.

Yes try the other one and see how that goes.

Have you ever done a clean uninstall between updates?

So far so good - only one full movie but it works just fine. I must have hit the default button which messed up the settings. Rookie mistake?

Anyway, thanks for the help - converting more now and hopefully I’m back on track.

I’m not sure what a PS3 will stand in terms of bitrate, but I think you need more bits per pixel. I set my bitrate for H264 to produce b/p readings of 0.3-0.5–yours is much lower, but that may be what the PS3 likes. Your screen size setting also is huge–the files will be much smaller and you can get more bits/pixel for a given bitrate if the screen size is smaller.[quote=yzas;2029018]Thanks. I used the defaults for the PS3 profile…didn’t want to mess with things that I know so little about.

Bee Movie
848x474
[B]0.0085 bits/pixel[/B]
Fast encoding (1-pass)
fixed bitrate (1024)
framerate 29.97
Audio bitrate 96

I’ve tried streaming via Tversity
External drive through USB
And copying it to PS3 internal drive and playing from there.

Same results all three ways. PS3 identifies it as a video and plays but I only get sound.[/quote]

I’ve also been having the same issue … i’ve tried everything…

no matter what resolution i pick … whether i do cropping or not …

files on cd … dvd … usb key … with tversity( with or without transcoding ) …

ALWAYS the same result … sound … but no image :frowning:

[QUOTE=bobtelco;2056314]I’ve also been having the same issue … i’ve tried everything…

no matter what resolution i pick … whether i do cropping or not …

files on cd … dvd … usb key … with tversity( with or without transcoding ) …

ALWAYS the same result … sound … but no image :([/QUOTE]

I had the same issue, whatever Fab installs as the ps3 default does that, sound no video. Try selecting “conversion settings” Then “PlayStation 3” from the dropdown menu. Worked for me!

I’ve also been going crazy trying to figure out why the PS3 can’t properly play or stream the videos I rip from DVDs using the PS3 profile (mp4 videos).

So I decided to try using the XBOX360 profile to rip DVDs into wmv videos and I tried that on my PS3 and it worked!

By the way, I used the resolution of 1280x720.

I connect my PS3 to my TV via HDMI cable, and I’m assuming the two resolutions that it recognizes are (1920x1080) aka 1080p and (1280x720) aka 720p.

Next I’m going to rip a BluRay movie also using the XBOX360 profile to a 1080p wmv video.

I’ll post the results.

:cool: