PS3 Questions

vbimport

Just got my PS3 installed and wow this little machine amaze me. Bluray playback is great.

Ok some question, in the display it says “Search for Media Servers” but whenever I click that, it says no server found. So what kind of media server we can search? Sorry I’m lost.

I assume we have to connect to internet first? how do I connect to the internet?

UPNP / DLNA compatible ones (locallly)
//Danne

Sorry I don’t understand?

[quote=helsenvan;2008927]Just got my PS3 installed and wow this little machine amaze me. Bluray playback is great.

Ok some question, in the display it says “Search for Media Servers” but whenever I click that, it says no server found. So what kind of media server we can search? Sorry I’m lost.

I assume we have to connect to internet first? how do I connect to the internet?[/quote]

You can either connect via ethernet port to your existing internet connection or if you have a wireless connection, the PS3 will detect it and connect if you put the right settings in.

In Vista (i’m not sure about XP)
On any (local) networked PC’s, switch on “Media Sharing” and place any pictures, music or movies you want available to the PS3 into your shared media folders.

Also, upgrade to the latest PS3 system software to allow DivX files to play.

I think what Dee-27 meant was to enable media sharing in Windows Media Player.

Yes for starters, Windows Media Player is the easiest. I am using WMP 11 on XP to stream via PS3. To do:

• Open Windows Media Player
  • Tools > Options > Library > Configure Sharing
  • Click “Share my media to:”
  • Then go to your PS3 and click the Search for Media Server.
  • If everything is okay, including your firewall setup, you will see a new item (mine called Unknown Device but it’s actually my PS3).
  • Then “Add to Library” or press F3 and add movies, music, mp2, photos etc.
  • Enjoy. :wink:

Alternatively, you can use TVersity (google for it).

[QUOTE=zevia;2009624]I think what Dee-27 meant was to enable media sharing in Windows Media Player.[/QUOTE]No, i meant what i said for Vista.

Thank you for the inputs.

I have vista but decided to use my other machine with Windows XP professional for testing. It works beautifully and setup is very easy in windows media player. I can now see all kind of music, photo and videos from my PS3. It’s amazed me how technology evolves overtime.

Photos on my HDTV looks brilliant, wonderful colors compared to the tiny LCD monitor on my desktop.
Music sounds live since I’m hooking up the PS3 to my home theater.
AVI video looks ok, and hi definition wmv look better.

Does anybody know if PS3 can backup a blu-ray dvd?

[quote=helsenvan;2012776]Does anybody know if PS3 can backup a blu-ray dvd?[/quote]As far as I know it’s doable but kind of lengthy process. You need to run Linux on your PS3 and install AnyDVD on it. It will rip (I think) at 1x. Faster using a Blu-ray PC drive instead.

No no no. :slight_smile: Not the best way at all! Get a copy of SAK for the PS3 and plug an external FAT32 formatted hard drive into the PS3. This will create a split image on the FAT32 drive. When moving it back to your HTPC, just do a copy /b blu*.* name.iso to combine all the parts into one ISO. Mount it with Daemon Tools with AnyDVD running and you’re good to go. At least, this is how I did it until I got my LG drive. You absolutely can’t install AnyDVD in Linux and the Linux installation is definitely not needed on the PS3 if you use SAK. SAK can also do network transfers but that’s painfully slow. If you use a FAT32 drive it’ll take an hour or so to xfer from the PS3 to that and then maybe another 40 or so minutes to recombine the pieces during the copy to the HTPC’s drive. Hope this helps!

Thanks SamuriHL. :slight_smile: So I guess it’s better and faster just to do it from PC drive instead direct from PS3.

Oh no question that it’s faster if you have a PC drive. But if you don’t, this is a good way to get images to play on your HTPC.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2014159]No no no. :slight_smile: Not the best way at all! Get a copy of SAK for the PS3 and plug an external FAT32 formatted hard drive into the PS3. This will create a split image on the FAT32 drive. When moving it back to your HTPC, just do a copy /b blu*.* name.iso to combine all the parts into one ISO. Mount it with Daemon Tools with AnyDVD running and you’re good to go. At least, this is how I did it until I got my LG drive. You absolutely can’t install AnyDVD in Linux and the Linux installation is definitely not needed on the PS3 if you use SAK. SAK can also do network transfers but that’s painfully slow. If you use a FAT32 drive it’ll take an hour or so to xfer from the PS3 to that and then maybe another 40 or so minutes to recombine the pieces during the copy to the HTPC’s drive. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

What is SAK for PS3?

Google for PS3 SAK and you’ll find it. It’s “Swiss Army Knife” and is a kick ass tool for making ISOs of your discs quickly and easily. It installs into your PS3’s Other OS partition and is fairly easy to use. Just hook up a fat32 drive and it’ll create a split ISO. Copy this back to your HTPC’s NTFS formatted drive using something like:

copy /b blu*.* DiscName.iso

Then you’ll have an ISO of your movie or whatever.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2072381]Google for PS3 SAK and you’ll find it. It’s “Swiss Army Knife” and is a kick ass tool for making ISOs of your discs quickly and easily. It installs into your PS3’s Other OS partition and is fairly easy to use. Just hook up a fat32 drive and it’ll create a split ISO. Copy this back to your HTPC’s NTFS formatted drive using something like:

copy /b blu*.* DiscName.iso

Then you’ll have an ISO of your movie or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Could I leverage this to later copy / move the ISOs to a DLNA compliant NAS and then stream it from there?

Are there any other players like PS3 that would play ISOs? VOBs from the NAS?

Unlikely. ISOs need to either be burned back to disc or mounted with something like Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive. Nothing “plays an ISO”. And ISO is a container of sorts…The PS3 can’t do anything with an ISO at all except create one. What people are doing these days are mounting the ISO and using something like TSMuxer to remake the movie only into a file that can be streamed. While it’s not overly difficult, it’s beyond the scope of what I want to get into right now. If you’re interested in learning more about it, go to doom9 forum and search for tsmuxer.

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2075766]Unlikely. ISOs need to either be burned back to disc or mounted with something like Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive. Nothing “plays an ISO”. And ISO is a container of sorts…The PS3 can’t do anything with an ISO at all except create one. What people are doing these days are mounting the ISO and using something like TSMuxer to remake the movie only into a file that can be streamed. While it’s not overly difficult, it’s beyond the scope of what I want to get into right now. If you’re interested in learning more about it, go to doom9 forum and search for tsmuxer.[/QUOTE]

Get onto AVS & AV Forums and see the Network Media Stream Players.

Google:
TivX and Popcorn Hour.

Wake up CD Freakers… You are the core of DVD Ripping community who knows ISOs bit by bit and not these players.

[quote=crashnburn_in;2076352]Get onto AVS & AV Forums and see the Network Media Stream Players.

Google:
TivX and Popcorn Hour.

Wake up CD Freakers… You are the core of DVD Ripping community who knows ISOs bit by bit and not these players.[/quote]

You make an assumption that I care. :slight_smile: I have a perfectly capable HTPC hooked up to my Sony SXRD tv using HDMI at 1080p resolution. I can “stream” any content I want with that setup without having to deal with any nonsense. ISO, mp4, mkv, mpeg2, ts, m2ts, whatever. All plays great on my machine. With full HD audio support. So, yea, we may be core of the BD Ripping community, but, don’t think that all of us have any need to stream to some box somewhere just to watch our content. :wink: :smiley:

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2076357]You make an assumption that I care. :slight_smile: I have a perfectly capable HTPC hooked up to my Sony SXRD tv using HDMI at 1080p resolution. I can “stream” any content I want with that setup without having to deal with any nonsense. ISO, mp4, mkv, mpeg2, ts, m2ts, whatever. All plays great on my machine. With full HD audio support. So, yea, we may be core of the BD Ripping community, but, don’t think that all of us have any need to stream to some box somewhere just to watch our content. :wink: :D[/QUOTE]

Awareness of different things. I found out so I shared. Whether you care, or you want one or may never want one or a few years down the line is upto you. Best wishes :slight_smile:

You do realize I’m just giving you a hard time for the “Wake up CD Freakers… You are the core of DVD Ripping community who knows ISOs bit by bit and not these players.” comment, right? :slight_smile: Of course we should learn about different things, but, I currently have no use for streaming video stuff personally. Hence I don’t take the time to learn about it. There are many others who do and have. For me my HTPC works the best. For others, streaming might make more sense. It’s all good as far as I’m concerned. At the end of the day, I just wanna watch my movie. :slight_smile: