PS3 needs HDMI 1.3 enabled TVs for HD resolution?

I just posted the article PS3 needs HDMI 1.3 enabled TVs for HD resolution?.

shimman used our news submit to tell us “Hmmm…PS3 + a newer HD TV set would really
cost arms & legs; perhaps Sony should consider to enable analog HD
outputs or even VGA.” …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11666-PS3-needs-HDMI-1_3-enabled-TVs-for-HD-resolution.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11666-PS3-needs-HDMI-1_3-enabled-TVs-for-HD-resolution.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This just shows you how pissed off everyone will be when they all learn the truth. The truth is, right now, if you have an HDMI compatible HDTV, it will not display full resolution for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD unless it is HDCP compatible. As of right now, there are no HDCP compatible products on the market because the spec was not finalized until recently. (I’m guessing this HDMI 1.3 is the same as HDMI-HDCP Compatible.)

Does it mean that my very recently purchased Sony HDTV with HDMI input will not play HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? How the hell are Sony going to “educate” me (if I may use their own words) that I have to throw my very expensive new HDTV that they have just sold me because it will not play HD? There are many people with HDTV systems right now, and I don’t think that they will like the idea. Since these people are “early adopters”, Sony (and the other makers) will have trouble bringing the HD product into market.
[edited by yronnen on 27.03.2006 19:08]

I bet your television is HDCP compliant, because it has the HDMI input. I purchased a DVI set almost a year or so ago, and it is HDCP compliant. You should be able to check on Google to make sure though. Also, the specs keep changing for AACS, so don’t get worried yet.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 27.03.2006 19:30]

Not to be mean, but did u not read my post. NO PRODUCT ON THE MARKET TODAY IS HDCP Compatible. For a product to be HDCP Compatible, it has to have a chip in it that has a code for it to decrypt the HDCP Signal. How is someone supposed to put a HDCP chip in a TV, when the spec hadn’t been finalized yet, (until recently as of now). This has been a problem with the newest ATI and NVidia graphics cards. On the box, they say HDCP Compatible. (According to the article I read, they may be compatible, but NOT Compliant.) This means, that you can’t just upgrade the firmware for the card, and then it be compliant. You would have to send your card back to them, because there has to be a specific chip on the videocard for the HDCP Signal and no videocard on the market has the HDCP chip on it. This is basically the same as for TVs.

HDMI 1.3 specification isn’t out yet, is it…? The newest one is HDMI 1.2…

…? (forget that :))

SONY at one stroke of a pen has , effectictive made all video displays in use and sold today obsolete and continued on with the total and absolute worship of the GOD OF DRM, to the detriment of all ! Oh well, choices can be very cruel in life, if you buy this apparent ‘EDSEL’ from SONY!, such is life!:r

@greensabbath- you may be right, I don’t know. Because this stuff is changing all the time. But my set is a Panasonic industrial plasma model with interchangealble blades. Even today, we can see that that they sell blades that are being touted as DVI/HDCP. (I have two of them) They also have an HDMI board that is supposedly HDCP as well. If Panasonic can’t keep it straight, I damn sure can’t. At least if something changes, I can just buy a new blade and not have to trash my TV. However, I don’t think I am going to have to worry about it as I am steering clear for a good long time. :d But I just want you to see why I made my HDCP comment. :slight_smile:
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 27.03.2006 20:50]

HDMI 1.3 has nothing to do with HDCP. HDMI 1.3 is the support for mutlichannel lossless audio to be transferred as well as video. Just like HDMI 1.2 was a revision that allowed higher resoulution audio (not lossless) to be transmitted to devices like Denon’s ilink and some other high end DVD audio/SACD players.
[edited by colleycol on 27.03.2006 22:17]

I guess sony is trying to improve the PS3 due to delay of the release. This is allso a fact why I am not getting a new graphics card and so on, I am waiting for the MORONS to decide what starndards to use. They can’t keep comming up with new things etc, you can’t buy a new TV every year, WTF. My guess is there will be third party products, that can decrypt HDCP and still output it anyway or something like that. Just a matter of time before product like that pops up. I think this has something to do with copy protection and that whole DRM bullshit they keep on with. Sigh

Such a product already existed long ago (as far as I remeber) but the point is that it was so expensive that you could buy a new HDTV with the money and it would be cheaper…

You clearly are guessing. Any device with an HDMI socket supports HDCP, regardless of the version. It’s a compulsory part of the HDMI spec. You’re right about the graphics cards though. None support HDCP, although ATI have just released one with an HDMI socket that obviously does. http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2574

Current generation Panasonic industrial plasma panels have DVI-D w/HDCP whereas current generation Panasonic consumer plasma panels have HDMI w/HDCP. The video portion of HDMI is also backwards-compatible with DVI-HDCP devices using a special cable adapter. HDMI supports the HDCP copy protection standard, allowing transmission of copy-protected digital content to your display. MB
[edited by Mad Burner on 28.03.2006 03:23]

Maybe I’m going to have to live under the proverbial rock, but no way in hell am I going to buy a bluray product or any sony DRM shite. Maybe I will just make do with our ‘low-fi low-def’ region-free DVD player and $250 TV set which is sitting at home. At least, I can play any DVD/VCD and watch DVDs at their full rez. Sux to sony.

There are 2 type of HDMI connector HDMI Type A for HD , have 19 pins : - 640x480p - 60Hz - 1280x720p - 60Hz - 1920x1080i - 60Hz - 720x480p - 60Hz - 720(1440)x480i - 60Hz - 1280x720p - 50Hz - 1920x1080i - 50Hz - 720x576p - 50Hz - 720(1440)x576i - 50Hz This is the HDMI for commercial engine actually . HDMI Type B for Very HD have 29 pins up to 2880x576p for cinéma and 1920x1080p. Compliant and transmiting HDCP (High Definition Content Protection). Perhaps the prototype of PS3 for the test have a HDMI type B for very HD so the cable HDMI type A don’t work with and people of SONY don’t want all people see this because actually the Type B is not for commercial machine actually . Actually this is the HD and not the very HD . But why this prototype would be equipped with very HD and not HD ? THis is for demonstrate beautiful game for said PS3 is the best console ? People see very HD and people of Sony tell us this is simple HD ? Sony want beat all other by made a monster witch work with very HD when others offer simple HD and they don’t want people know this ? it’s a surprise ? They want use the type B for a fully HDCP for his DRM ? Sorry for the English i’m French a link but in french http://www.son-video.com/Conseil/HomeCinema/HDMI.html

I just love upscaling.:X

I have a 32" Samsung LCD that has HDMI and a couple Component video imputs. An experiment I did was to set my HD Receiver to 720p and 480p output and compared the picture. Sitting 10’ away I do not notice any significant downgrade in picture quality. Also if any of you go to a showroom and compare a 42" HDTV Plasma to a 42" EDTV (480p) Plasma from typical viewing distance, it is very difficult to see a significant difference. Here is a site that can calculate viewing distance, it is very interesting… http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html A 1080i resolution starts to diminish on a 32" HDTV set after 4.2 ft. For a 42" it is 5.5’ So what does this mean? Well over the past several years we all have had our broadcast TV quality degrade gradually due to overcompression of signal. When the industry introduced HDTV they did three things simultaneously - increase resolution, change aspect to 16x9 and decrease compression. It is the latter that has the most impact on improving PQ (If you have doubts that this is important, research comparisons of SuperBit DVD to regular DVD). The changing of the aspect is more psychological - it enforces the idea that it is new and better compared to the squarer box that has been with us the past several decases. On larger screens, the wider screen gives more immersive effect. The resolution, as I said above, becomes irrelevant at typical viewing distances. I wouldn’t worry too much about resolution unless you are sitting a couple feet away from your screen (which is why resolution on computers is much more important).

Interesting article. I bought a PS3 over last weekend, and found that I could not use component video or hdmi to connect to my 4yr Samsung 61inch HDTV screen. While the TV, can do the higher resolutions, the image is useless from the PS3 at anything higher than 480i. (so, hence, the optionally purchased cables went back to the Store and I am using the default 3plug connection.