PS3 Hack Case: Sony CEA jurisdiction questioned, abuse alleged

PS3 Hack Case: Sony CEA jurisdiction questioned, abuse alleged.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/qdr1ca.jpg[/newsimage]After last week’s heated developments in Sony’s PS3 antipiracy lawsuit against popular hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz, we thought that the case had reached the pinnacle of melodrama. It turns out, however, that Hotz’s temporary retreat to South America was just another small step in the development of what is turning out to be a very interesting case regarding the rights of hardware owners and the ability of giant corporations to control them.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ps3-hack-case-sony-cea-jurisdiction-questioned-abuse-alleged-42143/](http://www.myce.com/news/ps3-hack-case-sony-cea-jurisdiction-questioned-abuse-alleged-42143/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is just getting ridiculous - a hardware manufacturer has NO right, none what-so-ever, to tell me how to use the hardware that I purchase. That’s like nVidia telling me that I can only use their video card to play certain games, and if I play something else then they can sue me for not doing what they said… Yes, it really is just that stupid. SONY is just pissed that people out in the world are smarter than they are and are trying to bully the rest of us to see them as the “always right, do whatever we say” crowd. Now, I will agree that certain actions can negate warranties on hardware. Back to my example about my video card: if nVidia had a specific list of games that I could play, they may have play tested those specific games and will cover playing them while the ones that were not play tested are not covered and are a “play at your own risk” kind of situation. Hackers can be told the same thing, I guess: do what you want with the PS3, but if you do something do that’s not covered in our “standard usage” list then you’re out of warranty… Just a thought… What do you all think?

[QUOTE=jbkingjr;2581827]This is just getting ridiculous - a hardware manufacturer has NO right, none what-so-ever, to tell me how to use the hardware that I purchase.
… but if you do something do that’s not covered in our “standard usage” list then you’re out of warranty… Just a thought… What do you all think?[/QUOTE]
This is more along the lines of … if you use the hardware which YOU purchased and legally own for any purpose other than what is listed on our approved list, we’ll file lawsuits against you, bankrupt you by legally defending yourself, and making an example of you so no-one deviates from our approved list of activities.

The whole shebang is about fear-mongering - SCEA are terrorists.

Question: I’m using my PS3 as a doorstop, is that legal?

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2581894]Question: I’m using my PS3 as a doorstop, is that legal?[/QUOTE]
That really depends on your location … are you in California?

It’s not on the approved uses list …

I’ll be posting an instructional video on youtube soon, then you to will be able to utilize a fine gaming machine as a door stop, as soon as I work the bugs out of it.

There are very big differences between what you think is fair, what others think is fair, what companies think is fair and the law.

The sad truth is that there actually is such a thing as intellectual property and that it can apply to any kind of software. No matter if that software is running on hardware.

That’s like nVidia telling me that I can only use their video card to play certain games, and if I play something else then they can sue me for not doing what they said… Yes, it really is just that stupid.
Yes they could. It is their intellectual property. Actually they could embed a tool that would not allow you to play certain games on it! In fact, they have rigged numerous test results, same as ATI did.

[QUOTE=jbkingjr;2581827]This is just getting ridiculous - a hardware manufacturer has NO right, none what-so-ever, to tell me how to use the hardware that I purchase. That’s like nVidia telling me that I can only use their video card to play certain games, and if I play something else then they can sue me for not doing what they said… Yes, it really is just that stupid. SONY is just pissed that people out in the world are smarter than they are and are trying to bully the rest of us to see them as the “always right, do whatever we say” crowd. Now, I will agree that certain actions can negate warranties on hardware. Back to my example about my video card: if nVidia had a specific list of games that I could play, they may have play tested those specific games and will cover playing them while the ones that were not play tested are not covered and are a “play at your own risk” kind of situation. Hackers can be told the same thing, I guess: do what you want with the PS3, but if you do something do that’s not covered in our “standard usage” list then you’re out of warranty… Just a thought… What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

Actually, Nvidia did when they bought 3Dfx. If you recall at that time period, there was 3dfx games and there were d3d, which turned into directx. So in reality Nvidia did have just nvidia games. Thankfully everyone realized that is was hurting the gaming market and they went to directx and the rest is history.