PS3 build costs go down

I just posted the article PS3 build costs go down.

A report this month from market research firm iSuppli pegs the manufacturing cost of the Playstation 3 at $448.73 as of October 2008, down 35 percent from the first-generation price tag of…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15419-PS3-build-costs-go-down.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15419-PS3-build-costs-go-down.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

With the economy nose-diving, Sony is going to have to do better on cost reductions if they ever want the PS-3 to catch. I haven’t purchased one simply because of price. I can get a much better Blu-ray player for a heck of a lot less, and I simply cant justify spending that much money for a game machine.

@ensign suder

from who?, they say that the best bluray player is the ps3 from a benchtest of 12, and its also profile futureproof due to its system updates, so please give me your sources, instead of blethering out of your never regions!

mines here!!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15278-PS3-wins-Blu-ray-player-Java-smackdown.html

No other bluray player comes close to the PS3 in ability & versatility.
At any rate, if you want a current HD experience & gaming console, the PS3 is the only way to go.
Otherwise you have to pay for a Bluray Player, which is slightly cheaper, AND a seperate gaming console.

And with the huge processing power available to it, the PS3 could do some serious post-processing of video & sound too, if they felt the need to improve it - but it’s already gorgeous anyway.

Let the price wars begin.

If the PS3 maintained/reintroduced PS2 compatability, it’d slaughter the other consoles (except wii, since it’s so damn cheap).

I like to read between the lines. First off, if you can snag a PS3 for $299 this is going to be an awesome price point for this kind of equipment - there simply is no argument. Having said that- we have to wonder if we are not on the cusp of seeing some very dramatic price drops in Blu-ray players at about the same time they drop the price on the PS3…

I agree Crabby, I would think prices should drop some. It doesn’t really cost all that much more to make a Blu-Ray than it does a regular DVD player, and some of those are dirt cheap. Most of the parts are similar, some are essentially the same. It’s not like they use special silicon, chips are chips. The chassis is not much different. The only real excuse they have for higher prices is that it’s to recoop developement costs, but that’s a crock, since selling 10,000 units at $100 will net them more than selling 1,000 units at $300. Plus they get economies of scale too, which make the cost less. Oh well, all it will take is for one lemming to jump and they’ll all go over the edge.

PS3 at 299$ with PS2 support…Now 2009 console sale figures would look VERY interesting…

Amen to that,Ramza.
I know I would buy 1 in that case…:bigsmile:

I highly doubt PS2 support is coming back, although it’s every so slightly possible that they might include it via software emulation in the next models. Forget about the hardware emulation (which some of the early PS3 models used and was most effective), that costs too much for them to include.

Blu Ray players use a much more advanced chip then a Dvd player does. I would like to see a 1080p movie ran on a chip ment for 480p video. Drives cost more right now cause A. Quality control is not like DVD’s. What I mean by that is there is more defective Blu Ray drives created in the manufacturing processes this is because it’s new and the processes of creating them is in it’s infancy. B.They are new and companies need to recoup R&D costs.

Ok, so the PS3 has some good points in a Bluray player; however, do you see PS3’s being sold side by side other Bluray players? No, not from what I have seen. Most of the PS3’s are regulated to the game section of the store. Most consumers are not interested in playing PS3 games and more interested in playing movies so they will flip for the normal cheaper Bluray player to get that, good points or not. So, even though the price might be dropping on the PS3, Sony is going to start losing big time and more than ever before on their game console because let’s face it, that was its major selling point back when it first came out being an affordable solution to get a Bluray player since the competing players were sometimes nearly double.

Flawed argument.

PS2 was advertised in the exact same way as PS3 and also cost a lot at launch. It was the first affordable DVD player with also a console. What happened? Both the PS2 AND normal DVD readers sales skyrocketed around 3-4 years into PS2 existence.

The difference is mainly that current PS3 is facing good competiton from Wii and X360 on US territory and is lacking good exclusives.

However, 2009 is going to be the year of the PS3…all the awaited big franchises exclusives to PS3 are coming along with a more than lilkely drop in price. Experience says history has a tendency to repeat itself.

This is going to be legen…wait for it…wait for it…legendary! (as Barney would say).

@ shaolin007

as above, a flawed argument, and we all know how anti sony you are anyway, so this comment does not suprise me in the least.

point is, i’ve looked at other bluray players for my living room, and thought to myself in the end, meh, may as well buy another PS3, at least if a new profile comes out, at least i shouldn’t be affected due to sony always updating.

Flawed argument? Are you kidding? By the time PS2 even hit the stores, DVD players were only selling fine.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

And the sales do not include PS2 or PC DVD ROM. Also they only reflect just the USA not worldwide. So your argument that mine is flawed is flawed itself.

And another thing, I am not comparing the PS3 to other console sales. I am comparing it to other players, ie settop boxes.Are PS3’s being sold side by side other Bluray settop players? NO. I rest my case.

“Experience says history has a tendency to repeat itself”

Funny you say that, I guess you forgot about Betamax,UMD, or even Minidisc?

“and we all know how anti sony you are anyway,”

Well if you are going there then we all know how much of a Sony sycophant you are.

I guess we will see who is wrong or right won’t we.

I love it how someone throws their teddy’s out of the pram when its not going their way!

for your argument about DVD’s already being in the public domain, to my recollection it was the ps2 helped the DVD format on its way, as other players were still quite overpriced back then. but then that was the UK region.

I am a sony fan, as i have always felt they were up there with JVC, Panasonic, etc. other than the DRM hassle from Sony, I have never gone wrong with the above products! If you have, thats your problem, not mine!!

also, while the PS3 is not being sold along side other bluray players, it says on all of the blurays I own, for use on bluray players and PS3!

I personally don’t care what your view on the PS3 is, as thats your view, and you are entitled to it, and if everyone shared my view, the world, and this site would be a very dull place.

BUT I am a Videophile, as well as an audiophille, so I want the best from both, so the ps3 gives me what I need in HD, and my sound system more than suffices!

"Sony is going to start losing big time and more than ever before on their game console because let’s face it, that was its major selling point back when it first came out being an affordable solution to get a Bluray player since the competing players were sometimes nearly double. "

yeah? so would I buy a cheap bluray player, or would I buy a good one?

this was the question I asked myself before deciding on whether to buy a second PS3, or a cheap bluray player!

I found the above articule on this very site with the benchmarks for 12 blurays, and picked the best one!!

the PS3:bigsmile:

We are not arguing the same thing.

Your argument on future PS3 sales is flawed. What I told you and you completly ignored it is that as DVD players sales greatly increased, so did the PS2 sales despite the fact the PS2 wasn’t next to DVD players on shelves either. Your chart proves it.

DVD players or PS2 selling well does not mean the other is suffering from it.

Just like the PS2, the PS3 Blu-Ray player is/was an excuse to increase the speed of Blu-Ray penetration amongst the general population. It’s not aimed to compete with new and cheaper stand-alone players from the future…

DVD players and PS2 both benefited from each other. The same thing is going to happen with Blu-Ray players and PS3 if the format really takes off.

@steveo119
"I love it how someone throws their teddy’s out of the pram when its not going their way!"
Give me a break. Is that all you can say since your points are worthless. (rolls eyes)
“or your argument about DVD’s already being in the public domain, to my recollection it was the ps2 helped the DVD format on its way, as other players were still quite overpriced back then. but then that was the UK region.”

Are you kidding me? Your “recollection” is fact? LOL, come on man at least I posted a data source. PS2 wasn’t the main reason DVD took off bud I hate to tell ya. DVD was doing just fine as I pointed out in the data source I posted.

“also, while the PS3 is not being sold along side other bluray players, it says on all of the blurays I own, for use on bluray players and PS3!”

Well, if it is being sold in the game section of the store, where do you think consumers are going to go looking for a Bluray player and not a gaming system? DUH!

“BUT I am a Videophile, as well as an audiophille, so I want the best from both, so the ps3 gives me what I need in HD, and my sound system more than suffices!..yeah? so would I buy a cheap bluray player, or would I buy a good one?”

This point is moot. The majority of consumers ARE NOT videophiles or even audiophiles.

@Ramza

"It was the first affordable DVD player with also a console. What happened? Both the PS2 AND normal DVD readers sales skyrocketed around 3-4 years into PS2 existence…What I told you and you completly ignored it is that as DVD players sales greatly increased, "

PS2 sold for $300 US. DVD players were already being sold for $200. How is the PS2 “affordable”? Also, I didn’t ignore you comments. You said exactly what you said and now you are trying to back out of what you said. You were trying to make a correlation between PS2 pushing the DVD format and the PS3 pushing the Bluray format. This is false as I proved already. PS2 didn’t push DVD sales. DVD sales didn’t need the PS2 to take off. Bluray, on the other hand, needed the PS3 to push its sales.

And if you want to see how DVD was doing by the end of 1999, you might want to read this article:

http://news.cnet.com/DVD-sales-see-hot-growth-projections/2100-1040_3-235034.html

I don’t think Bluray players were sold out like they were with DVD around Christmas time 2 years after launch. So what point are your arguing?You have no point.

Also, there were DVD players out long before the PS2. With the PS3, it was nealy the only player out there for Bluray and especially the only affordable one with still a hefty price tag $600. The other players were around $1000. If you count when it came out in Japan, the player was $3500.

Next time, you might want to at least post something that backs up your accusations. Simply saying that something is so isn’t enough if you want to win any kind of argument.

You still don’t get it, do you? Why do you keep bringing in there were DVD players on the market before the PS2? It’s irreleveant to the point. I attacked you on your comment about PS3 sales, I could care less about some DVD players selling before the PS2 came out. You are trying to separate the player from the console component, you cannot, not at the beginning of the technology.

A PS2 sale was a DVD player sale, it helped pushing the format into homes. That means friends seeing technology in their friends home, they are talking and they decide to buy a PS2 or a DVD Player as well to watch DVDs.

The PS3 is exactly the same, it’s greatly helping.

PS2/DVD players and PS3/Blu-Ray players are complementary to each other, they are not exclusives. Sales of one are helping the other. Their common goal is pushing their format into homes, that’s it, there is no trick to it.

Let me say explain it again in simpler terms : PS2 + DVD player sales > DVD players alone. PS3 + Blu-Ray players sales > Blu-Ray players alone.

What part of global technology penetration speed do you not comprehend exactly?

People are buying the PS3 because it’s a console and some buy it because it’s the best Blu-Ray player out there as well. You cannot separate the two components. Again, exactly like the PS2.

Buying a X360 and a Blu-Ray player is more expensive than a PS3.

So which is the safest bet for a gamer and/or movie addict in the future? a PS3. Even if the console part flops, it’s still a BR-player and if the BR market flops, it’s still a console.

You’d need to have both markets flop for PS3 to stop selling. It’s almost 100% fail proof in theory. Exactly like the PS2. Just because this time it’s facing somewhat good competition doesn’t mean it’s failing or is going to fail in the coming years.

chill out ramza, you obviously can’t have a civil conversation with this guy. at least duke makes half a decent comeback.

I mean come on, my points are worthless?? is that because you don’t agree with me so you are immediately right? thats your opinion, and i’m a bit long in the tooth for idiots who think because they have a point of view, that everyone else’s is ‘worthless’!!

oh, and I don’t need to put up a source about the ps2 helping the DVD sales, as ramza has seconded my points, so go take a hike!

“Both the PS2 AND normal DVD readers sales skyrocketed around 3-4 years into PS2 existence…”

and you don’t think that this statement says that the ps2 helped push the format from the start?

and where the hell did i say that the majority of people are audiophiles/videophiles?

comeback when you’ve reached puberty, or can come up with a reasonably arguement!:wink: