PS3 Blu ray backup

I would like to back up my Blu-rays from my PS3 to an external HDD. I have been searching everywhere for a way to do this. The only answers I’ve found suggest SAK (Swiss Army Knife), and using a flavor of linux as the Otheros, but neither really work. It appears that these “solutions” are old and maybe used to work but no longer do. Is there no way to do this?

[QUOTE=stevensm62;2214198]I would like to back up my Blu-rays from my PS3 to an external HDD. I have been searching everywhere for a way to do this. The only answers I’ve found suggest SAK (Swiss Army Knife), and using a flavor of linux as the Otheros, but neither really work. It appears that these “solutions” are old and maybe used to work but no longer do. Is there no way to do this?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the ps3 games or commercial BD movies???

sony would be stupid to allow this.

I’m talking about movies, Im not really into games although we own a few. My hopes are two fold: 1) create a secure backup to my movies 2) have all the movies in one place instead of swapping out discs. I presesently own hundres of dvd’s, I have them all backed up on a couple HDDs. I now have about 15 blu rays and would like to do the same with them. I’m NOT really interested in shrinking them otherwise I would just go with DVDs. Do I have to buy TWO copies of every movie? Thats ridiculous…

You’re not going to be able to do this from the PS3. Blu Ray movies have fairly strong encryption, and the only decryption program available that is effective against it right now is AnyDVD HD. This program will only run on a PC using a Windows operating system.

So, you’ll need a blu ray drive in a pc, AnyDVDHD and a lot of space on your hard drive. You can save to an external drive, but then you have the problem of playback. Some of the software programs that can play Blu Ray will not play from files saved on the hard drive (PowerDVD for example). Some others, like ArcSoft Total Media Theater can still do this. Media companies have instituted these restrictions, so I’m not sure how Arcsoft is still getting away with this.

You can save the blu ray movies as ISO files, and mount them in a virtual drive. All the software media players with blu ray support will play them when done this way.

Thanks for the info. Thats kinda what I thought and what I was afraid of. I guess we don’t really “own” anything anymore.