PS2 won't read backup disk

AHHHHHH! Someone help me!!! I have spent all weekend googling, loading programs, unloading, copying, testing, etc…
Okay, so it started with my Guitar Hero World Tour game. I wanted to make a backup copy so my original would not be destroyed (3 kids :-)). It is quite a large file so i used the DVD+R RL media. I went through three wasted blanks trying to burn that darn game! I am using DVD Decrypter to read the ISO and make a .MDS file to burn to DVD using IMGBurn. The dang file would make the ISO fine but then would kick back at about 50% with Imgburn with an I/O error, something to the effect of write sectors and power calibration area error. What the heck? What am i doing wrong? HELP!

What media are you using? Try verbatim for DL backups.

Using the Memorex DVD+R RL… thanks for the speedy action!!!

It’s been awhile but as I recall, you have to modify a chip inside your PS2 to get it to read backup copies.

I have the Mod-ed PS2, but that isn’t the problem yet… i can not finish the copy into Imgburn.

Don’t you dvddecypter to make and image, that’s really for movies and not games. Use Imgburn to create an image of GHWT and then use Imgburn to burn the image(load the mds file imgburn makes).

Also as suggested use verbatim dvd +r dl discs and you need to make sure your burner sets the booktype to dvd-rom(gives better compatibility)

What chip do you have installed in your ps2?

I have no idea what chip it is, how would i know? Not to be a ding dong… my friend installed it. :slight_smile:
If i use ImgBurn to create my ISO and write MDS, can it still decrypt it like the DVD decrypter does?
by the way… thank you for the help!

[QUOTE=HOLLIEO;2206433]I have no idea what chip it is, how would i know? Not to be a ding dong… my friend installed it. :slight_smile:
If i use ImgBurn to create my ISO and write MDS, can it still decrypt it like the DVD decrypter does?
by the way… thank you for the help![/QUOTE]

PS2 games don’t need decrypting as they have no protection on them, dvd decrypter only decrypts dvd movies, protection wise.

The reason I asked about the chip was this, some older PS2 chips can’t boot burnt DL backups, some can but the image needs to be patched with the toxic dual layer patcher before burning. Some of the later chips have an option in there menu to boot DL discs without the need to be patched first.

When your PS2 boots does it have any other text on the bootup screen? like mine has infinity come up. Better thought You could always ask your friend who installed the chip what it is.

didn’t realize there wasn’t a copy protection on the games like the movies. What a ding dong i am… or just read waaaaaaay to many message boards and google queries. :slight_smile:
I will have to ask what kind of chip it is… i do not get any out of the ordinary boot screen’s when turning on my PS2… just the normal “sony computer cooperation” sign in with little boxes and stuff floating around.

Thanks for the great info so far… quite informative. I am gonna go pick up some verbatim DVD’s tomorrow, but do you think the DVD+R DL will be okay because the GHWT is too large for the regular DVD-R’s… and I don’t see the verbatim in a DVD-R DL… not even sure that exists… thoughts or advise? also… i am gonna try the CloneCD program… what do you think about that one?

I don’t want to make another PS2 thread, so I think I should ask here :stuck_out_tongue:
Why does a PS2 need a mod-chip to read backups?
I’ll be getting a brand new PS2 soon, one of the new models (SCPH-90000 with no A/C Adapter, just the Cable).
Isn’t the PS2 supposely be able to read even DVD-RW formats?
I was thinking of having some backups on my newer PS2… but I see it’s not possible without a mod-chip. Does playing backup games on a PS2 harm the laser or something?

[QUOTE=AntiRellik;2206592]I don’t want to make another PS2 thread, so I think I should ask here :stuck_out_tongue:
Why does a PS2 need a mod-chip to read backups?
I’ll be getting a brand new PS2 soon, one of the new models (SCPH-90000 with no A/C Adapter, just the Cable).
Isn’t the PS2 supposely be able to read even DVD-RW formats?
I was thinking of having some backups on my newer PS2… but I see it’s not possible without a mod-chip. Does playing backup games on a PS2 harm the laser or something?[/QUOTE]

Basically the PS2 knows its backup and won’t boot the backup, the chip basically bypass’ the authentication and tells the PS2 to boot it. There are some other methods where a chip is not needed to bootbackups like the free memory card boot + esr or swap magic discs. ( the memory card boot + esr has been fixed on the latest revision though)

[QUOTE=HOLLIEO;2206545]Thanks for the great info so far… quite informative. I am gonna go pick up some verbatim DVD’s tomorrow, but do you think the DVD+R DL will be okay because the GHWT is too large for the regular DVD-R’s… and I don’t see the verbatim in a DVD-R DL… not even sure that exists… thoughts or advise? also… i am gonna try the CloneCD program… what do you think about that one?[/QUOTE]

Verbatim do make -R DL discs but there not really that compatible with alot of stuff. Best to stick with Verbatim +R DL discs with the booktype set to dvd-rom. If the Image is over 4.37GB then a DL is needed.

woo hoo Finally!!! My backup worked for my transformers game I picked up the Verbatim DVD-R and no problems!!! I used Imgburn and it wrote the ISO file to the DVD-R and played wonderfully!!! but… now i am ready to backup my GHWT (large file) and it won’t let me pick the ISO file to write… it wants to pull the MDS file… is this correct???

Yes that’s correct, when you created the backup of GHWT imgburn also creates a .mds file, it wants the load the mds as this contains the layer break information needed for the DL backup.

Man!!! You are the jedi master … You explained that perfectly!! And all is well in my ps2 backup land!! Thank you for all the help and super quick too… Never left hangn’ thanks again!!! From a very gratefull newbie!